Asus P8Z77-V Pro LAN port flashing light problem

TennisTheMenace

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Hi everyone -
I just set up my custom build with an Asus P8Z77-V pro motherboard. I have downloaded all the necessary drivers, including the LAN driver, and it has successfully connected to the internet through an ethernet cable. I shut down the computer (I had done it several times before, and everything was happening normally) but when I woke it back up, it wouldn't connect to the internet and when I looked, a little yellow light was flashing next to the port where the ethernet cord was plugged in. I did a "troubleshoot" on my machine and it said there was a hardware/driver problem. The device was working before and I hadn't touched since then. I searched the product's manual, but there is nothing on the light that was flashing. What is wrong?

Solution
You can go into the command prompt and type "ipconfig /release" then press "Enter", then type "ipconfig /renew" then press "Enter" again that should re-establishes TCP/IP connections on your lan adapter. See if you can now use the internet. If that doesn't work try reloading the LAN driver or if you have access to another computer DL the new driver off the motherboard website and put it on a flash drive and install it.

The last time it ran before you turned it off did you load any new programs or do any updates?

cl-scott

Honorable
Without a picture it's difficult to say for sure, but that sounds like an activity LED, basically indicating that there is some kind of chatter between the motherboard NIC and the router or modem or whatever it's connected to. Even when the computer is shut off, the motherboard will still draw a small amount of power to power certain parts of the board. One of the things typically left on is the NIC to support WOL functions. So you have established that there's communication at a basic hardware level, meaning that the issue likely has to do with the software controlling the NIC.

You can go into the command prompt and type "ipconfig /release" then press "Enter", then type "ipconfig /renew" then press "Enter" again that should re-establishes TCP/IP connections on your lan adapter. See if you can now use the internet. If that doesn't work try reloading the LAN driver or if you have access to another computer DL the new driver off the motherboard website and put it on a flash drive and install it.

The last time it ran before you turned it off did you load any new programs or do any updates?

Solution

TennisTheMenace

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

I tried that and it didn't work. I'm going to try reinstalling the LAN driver soon.