600W power supply size

Status
Not open for further replies.

navi0

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I bought an HP Pavillion HPE H8-1120 box thinking that I just need to do home related work in this computer.

But I find it interesting to go back to PC gaming... so I need to upgrade the power supply and then the video card. I wanted to do the PSU first (while waiting for a good deal on video cards)

This computer has a 300W power supply with the dimensions

150mm x 140mm x 86mm (5.9 x 5.5 x 3.4 inches)

I found a ThermalTake TR2 600W with the following:

Dimensions (LxWxH) 140 x 150 x 86 mm
5.5 x 59 x 3.4 inch

Question: My only concern is that the order of the inches as not the same. will this PSU fit my computer?

Question2: I've also measured the space once I upgrade my video card, and from the plate of the video card's connectors to the other end of the case have a space of 9 and 1/2 inches. Will the new GTX series video card fit on that?

Solution
It will fit all right, but Thermaltake is not a good way to go. They make great cases and some good CPU coolers, but the PSUs are iffy at best. Look for Antec, Corsair(not builder series), Seasonic, XFX, Silverstone.

tlmck

Distinguished
It will fit all right, but Thermaltake is not a good way to go. They make great cases and some good CPU coolers, but the PSUs are iffy at best. Look for Antec, Corsair(not builder series), Seasonic, XFX, Silverstone.

Solution
I'm just guessing, but the specs say it's a standard atx PSU, so I would think that any standard atx psu that isn't oversized for some reason would fit. As tlmck said, stick to brands such as Corsair, Antec, and Seasonic.

As to the GPU length, many of the high end cards are now 12 to 12 and 1/2 inches long, so you'll have to be diligent and balance length against how high end of a card you can get.

If it is the TR2-600P, then the 700W version got a positive review at Hardwaresecrets, so assuming that they share similar designs, it shouldn't be disastrous to buy that unit.

That's all it is, a different ordering of the dimensions. The first one is WxLxH, the second one is LxWxH.

Yes there are cards that size. You will have to go to the manufacturers website and see what dimensions they list.

Status
Not open for further replies.