Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Build Problem: Very slow startup etc

Last response: in Systems
October 25, 2011 8:48:15 PM

I seemed to have a power surge last spring that fried the pump on my closed system water cooler. I bought a new one, installed it and things seemed fine for about six weeks.

Old System: bought from IBUYPOWER

MSI P7N SLI motherboard
Intel Core2 Quad 6600
IBUYPOWER closed water cooling system
2GB DDR2 RAM
Seagate 500GB SATA HD (replaced the original Hitachi when it died)
nVidia 8800 GT video card
NZXT 800W power supply
Windows Vista 64

My system would run fine for about an hour or so, then start slowing down until you had to shut it off. I took it to a local long-established computer shop who diagnosed bad RAM and replaced one of the sticks. They also reformatted the HD and reinstalled Windows Vista 64. I took the pc home.

The system would run fine for an hour or so, then shut off. No signs of anything overheating. I took it back to the computer shop who diagnosed a bad power supply and replaced it. I took the pc home.

The system would run fine for about 20 mins or so, then shut off. No signs of anything overheating. I decided perhaps the power surge had damaged something else and purchased new components.

New System:

Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 motherboard
Intel i5 2500k w/stock cooler
4GB DDR3 RAM
SATA Optical Drive
Corsair 700W PS

I'm still using:
Seagate 500GB SATA HD
nVidia 8800GT Video Card
Windows Vista 64

Now my problems are:

1. LOOOOOONG startup. It can take an hour or more for the computer to finish starting up.

2. System is using video card (no on-board video) but does not identify it. Attempting to install drivers results in a blue screen.

Does anyone have any ideas about where to go next? This has me very frustrated.

Best solution

October 25, 2011 9:54:38 PM

check the HDD

When you're able too, go to start>control panel>adminsitrative tools> Event viewer. Under the windows logs fine application and system logs. looking for the red x's icons. If there are a ton of HDD timeouts it may be a bad HDD. Also, double check how much Memory windows is seeing.
October 25, 2011 11:31:21 PM

Thank you for the reply.

No entries concerning HDD. In Application, I have some Error messages, but they reference mostly Perflib with some WMI. The System area only has Warning messages from Servicing source.

Windows is showing 4GB of RAM.
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2011 1:31:39 AM

An update. Thank you Rozz. I replaced the Hard Drive and all my problems disappeared.
m
l
November 2, 2011 1:32:24 AM

Best answer selected by jecroft.
m
l
!