Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2.99GB available, 13GB Hardware reserved

Last response: in Motherboards
November 27, 2012 2:12:27 AM

I got this computer from Cyberpower back in March-April of 2011 and it has given me a few minor problems that were nothing but I have 2 major issues at this moment. I'm a gamer and will play anything that strikes my fancy, but I mostly run Just WoW and LoL. I'm not extremely familiar with my BIOS which is where I suspect this issue is coming from, so I thought better to ask people who DO know.

First, I running on only 2.99gb of RAM and it makes so much as Alt-tabbing a chore for my comp. I actually just upgraded from 6 to 16gb of RAM hoping it'd fix itself but that doesn't seem to have been the case. both sets off RAM will only run at 2.99gb. I do realize is quite a bit but atleast I won't lack for RAM when i run a half dozen things at once :p 

MOBO- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The other issue is probably best left for another part of these forums, but I'll go ahead and mention it. I have 2 Radeon 5770 cards, that until a week ago were cross-fired, out of the blue, my computer would crash whenever I loaded a game. I puled out one of my cards and am not having crashing issues anymore, but I'd certainly prefer to be running on 2 1gb cards instead of 1. Also to clrify, I tried running both cards solo, and they both do fine alone only when I ask themto work together do I have an issue. I suspect I would've found this issue alot sooner but I only recently set my cards to crossfire. Yes, I had 2 cards sitting, not cross-fired, ALL this time.

Card- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The only difference between the cards I have and the one above is that my sticker says "ATI Radeon" and isn't a "Powercolor" sticker.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2012 3:20:06 AM

What version of Windows are you running? I suspect you are running a 32-bit version instead of a 64-bit version. Depending on your motherboard, this would limit you to somewhere between 3 and 3.5GB of RAM. You should have been able to see all 6GB before upgrading, and certainly should see all 16 now. Unfortunately there is no upgrade path from 32-bit to 64-bit. You have to do a complete reinstall.

Regarding the issue on your video cards. Honestly, I would suspect a power supply issue. When both cards are at idle, they draw almost no power, but when in crossfire, they both will draw power. What brand and model of power supply are you running?

--Russel
m
l
November 27, 2012 3:56:12 AM

Ah yes, I apologize for not mentioning that. I am in fact running 64-bit windows 7, I tried to give as much info as I could but evidently I missed some stuff.

When i go to control panel and go to system, it informs me:
Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 960@3.20GHz
Installed memory(RAM): 16.00gb (2.99 usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System (I'm running windows 7)
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2012 6:40:00 AM

Okay, so I can still think of 3 potential problems:

1. I suspect you may have a BIOS misconfiguration, but I can't find any specific settings in your motherboard's manual that look like they could cause a problem. I'd suggest you load the optimal defaults or the failsafe defaults in the BIOS setup and see if that fixes the issue. (You will lose any overclocking settings you have entered and may need to reconfigure a number of settings after doing this.)

2. There could also be a BIOS issue that may be resolved by a BIOS upgrade. Check MSI's website for an updated BIOS version and follow their instructions for flashing to the letter.

3. You may have an unusual virus or other low-level problem that is preventing the OS from seeing all your RAM. A few years ago there was talk of viruses that could virtualize your entire OS and run the OS as a virtual machine inside of an infected hypervisor. This all seemed fairly far-fetched at the time, but perhaps you have a problem like that.

I'd recommend you download the Microsoft System Sweeper to run an offline virus scan. It will create a bootable CD or USB drive for you that can be used to scan your machine for issues.

--Russel
November 27, 2012 10:31:22 PM

Alrighty, I just updated my BIOS and I'm pleased to say, we have success! I'm now running on ALL of my RAM, I guess I should've tried this update a bit sooner... I was just so worried I would do something wrong and mess up my board.

Thank you so much for your help Russel.
m
l
November 27, 2012 10:31:34 PM

Best answer selected by Azalder.
m
l
!