Which digital camera for 9 and 11 year old girls?

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 16, 2005 12:52:50 AM

I'm thinking of getting my two girls (9 and 11 years old) digital
cameras as part of their birthday presents.

Since these cameras might not last very long (kids tend to not take care
of things as carefully as they should), I'm thinking of something pretty
inexpensive - say, under $100.00US. Maybe 2MP. Possibly 3X Optical zoom.

Are there any 'decent' (relatively speaking) new (not used) digital
cameras for this price-range?

Is my best bet to just go to Target or something, and pick out their
cheapest digital camera? Would that suffice?

TIA,

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Eric Babula wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting my two girls (9 and 11 years old) digital
> cameras as part of their birthday presents.
>
> Since these cameras might not last very long (kids tend to not take
care
> of things as carefully as they should), I'm thinking of something
pretty
> inexpensive - say, under $100.00US. Maybe 2MP. Possibly 3X Optical
zoom.

> Are there any 'decent' (relatively speaking) new (not used) digital
> cameras for this price-range?

I've been researching a similar question, I've got an 8 year old who is
interested. I'm considering the Canon A310; it has no optical zoom, but
it's fast, small, cheap, easy to operate, and it'll be a good platform
for learning the basics. It still has some manual options, like
exposure compensation, white balance, and so forth, but it won't be
overwhelming. Picture quality is excellent for this type of camera.
It's got a 1.2 inch macro range which would be a lot of fun for a kid,
too. I've seen it packaged with a Canon IP2000 printer at Office Max
for about $130 recently:

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/product/prodBloc...

For ~$150 the Canon A400 has a 2.2X optical zoom, but I think it just
adds complexity, and quite frankly the picture quality suffers. 2X zoom
would be useful for framing a shot, but not much else; IMHO it would be
better for a beginner to learn with a non-zoom camera, then move on
when she/he has outgrown it.

ECM
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 12:52:51 AM

Eric Babula wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting my two girls (9 and 11 years old) digital
> cameras as part of their birthday presents.
>
> Since these cameras might not last very long (kids tend to not take care
> of things as carefully as they should), I'm thinking of something pretty
> inexpensive - say, under $100.00US. Maybe 2MP. Possibly 3X Optical zoom.
>
> Are there any 'decent' (relatively speaking) new (not used) digital
> cameras for this price-range?
>
> Is my best bet to just go to Target or something, and pick out their
> cheapest digital camera? Would that suffice?
>
> TIA,

Kodak is selling off its LS743 models at giveaway prices. Fry's had it
this week for $99. That is a 4 mp camera with good manual controls (not
focus). A lot of camera for that price!

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
April 16, 2005 3:21:38 AM

The entry Fujis are still a good bargain -- the A205, for example.
Check eBay. They also take beautiful photos. It might run a bit over
100 with batteries & memory card, but you'd need to add those for most
outfits.

Eric Babula wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting my two girls (9 and 11 years old) digital
> cameras as part of their birthday presents.
>
> Since these cameras might not last very long (kids tend to not take care
> of things as carefully as they should), I'm thinking of something pretty
> inexpensive - say, under $100.00US. Maybe 2MP. Possibly 3X Optical zoom.
>
> Are there any 'decent' (relatively speaking) new (not used) digital
> cameras for this price-range?
>
> Is my best bet to just go to Target or something, and pick out their
> cheapest digital camera? Would that suffice?
>
> TIA,

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 3:27:18 AM

> Eric Babula wrote:
> > I'm thinking of getting my two girls (9 and 11 years old) digital
> > cameras as part of their birthday presents.
> >
> > Since these cameras might not last very long (kids tend to not take
care
> > of things as carefully as they should), I'm thinking of something
pretty
> > inexpensive - say, under $100.00US. Maybe 2MP. Possibly 3X Optical
zoom.

> > Are there any 'decent' (relatively speaking) new (not used) digital
> > cameras for this price-range?
> >
> > Is my best bet to just go to Target or something, and pick out their
> > cheapest digital camera? Would that suffice?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> Kodak is selling off its LS743 models at giveaway prices. Fry's had
it
> this week for $99. That is a 4 mp camera with good manual controls
(not
> focus). A lot of camera for that price!

Thats where you have the advantage over where I live - more population,
more stores, more competition= cheaper prices. I looked at that camera
the other day in Staples and it was $299.99 ($240.00 US) and has been
that prices for a long time. Most cameras come down in price eventually,
but for some reason, that one hasn't. $99.00 US is REALLY cheap. I
should drive to Buffalo (2 hour drive) and find a Frys store there and
buy it and just pay the 15% tax and just take a chance that it wouldn't
need a warranty.

Cathy
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 5:14:22 AM

Cathy wrote:
> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Eric Babula wrote:
>>
>>>I'm thinking of getting my two girls (9 and 11 years old) digital
>>>cameras as part of their birthday presents.
>>>
>>>Since these cameras might not last very long (kids tend to not take
>
> care
>
>>>of things as carefully as they should), I'm thinking of something
>
> pretty
>
>>>inexpensive - say, under $100.00US. Maybe 2MP. Possibly 3X Optical
>
> zoom.
>
>>>Are there any 'decent' (relatively speaking) new (not used) digital
>>>cameras for this price-range?
>>>
>>>Is my best bet to just go to Target or something, and pick out their
>>>cheapest digital camera? Would that suffice?
>>>
>>>TIA,
>>>

>>Kodak is selling off its LS743 models at giveaway prices. Fry's had
>
> it
>
>>this week for $99. That is a 4 mp camera with good manual controls
>
> (not
>
>>focus). A lot of camera for that price!
>

> Thats where you have the advantage over where I live - more population,
> more stores, more competition= cheaper prices. I looked at that camera
> the other day in Staples and it was $299.99 ($240.00 US) and has been
> that prices for a long time. Most cameras come down in price eventually,
> but for some reason, that one hasn't. $99.00 US is REALLY cheap. I
> should drive to Buffalo (2 hour drive) and find a Frys store there and
> buy it and just pay the 15% tax and just take a chance that it wouldn't
> need a warranty.
>
> Cathy

IF you could still find one. I suspect that the camera sold out in
minutes. I live about 25 minutes from one and concluded I didn't have
time to drive over there before it would be out of stock as they had
only so many to sell. Now I wonder what Kodak is replacing that model with.
It was one of the models I considered when getting my current camera,
but I opted for a 4X zoom.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 8:36:14 AM

Cathy wrote:

> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Eric Babula wrote:
>>
>>>I'm thinking of getting my two girls (9 and 11 years old) digital
>>>cameras as part of their birthday presents.
>>>
>>>Since these cameras might not last very long (kids tend to not take
>
> care
>
>>>of things as carefully as they should), I'm thinking of something
>
> pretty
>
>>>inexpensive - say, under $100.00US. Maybe 2MP. Possibly 3X Optical
>
> zoom.
>
>>>Are there any 'decent' (relatively speaking) new (not used) digital
>>>cameras for this price-range?
>>>
>>>Is my best bet to just go to Target or something, and pick out their
>>>cheapest digital camera? Would that suffice?
>>>
>>>TIA,
>>>

>>Kodak is selling off its LS743 models at giveaway prices. Fry's had
>
> it
>
>>this week for $99. That is a 4 mp camera with good manual controls
>
> (not
>
>>focus). A lot of camera for that price!
>

> Thats where you have the advantage over where I live - more population,
> more stores, more competition= cheaper prices. I looked at that camera
> the other day in Staples and it was $299.99 ($240.00 US) and has been
> that prices for a long time. Most cameras come down in price eventually,
> but for some reason, that one hasn't. $99.00 US is REALLY cheap. I
> should drive to Buffalo (2 hour drive) and find a Frys store there and
> buy it and just pay the 15% tax and just take a chance that it wouldn't
> need a warranty.
>
> Cathy

Hi...

Future shop is 219 canadian. Know it's more than you
want to spend, but it beats Staples...

Ken
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 8:36:15 AM

"Ken Weitzel" <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Cathy wrote:
>
> > "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message

> > care

> > pretty

> > zoom.

> >>Kodak is selling off its LS743 models at giveaway prices. Fry's had
> >
> > it
> >
> >>this week for $99. That is a 4 mp camera with good manual controls
> >
> > (not
> >
> >>focus). A lot of camera for that price!
> >

> > Thats where you have the advantage over where I live - more
population,
> > more stores, more competition= cheaper prices. I looked at that
camera
> > the other day in Staples and it was $299.99 ($240.00 US) and has
been
> > that prices for a long time. Most cameras come down in price
eventually,
> > but for some reason, that one hasn't. $99.00 US is REALLY cheap. I
> > should drive to Buffalo (2 hour drive) and find a Frys store there
and
> > buy it and just pay the 15% tax and just take a chance that it
wouldn't
> > need a warranty.
> >
> > Cathy
>

> Hi...
>
> Future shop is 219 canadian. Know it's more than you
> want to spend, but it beats Staples...
>
> Ken

Actually $219.00 Can. is not more than I want to spend. Up to $300.00
Can. is ok. But I've
never seen the Kodak LS743 in Future shop and I live very close to one
and been looking around for a while. I just checked FS web site tonight
and I've never seen that camera on their web site.
I also check websites of Best Buy, Henrys, Blacks, Radio Shack. I
wouldn't buy a camera from a web site, but those websites all have
stores. Staples, Best Buy and Future shop all price match, so you can
often get a good deal if you watch prices. Last week, I bought a small
fax and copier for home use which was $120.00 in Staples, but was $79.99
in Best Buy, so I printed out the web page from Best Buy and ended up
paying $60.00 at Staples as they give you the price match plus 50% of
the difference so I got a good deal.
I notice you are with Shaw Cable out west which I used to have, but who
switched with Rogers Cable who you used to have :)  - So maybe Future
shop out your way have the LS743 for $219.99 but I've never seen it here
for that price. In fact, I've only seen it in Staples.

Cathy
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 5:04:34 PM

Cathy wrote:
> "Ken Weitzel" <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>

>>Cathy wrote:
>>

>>>"Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message

>>>care

>>>pretty

>>>zoom.

> their

>>>it

>>>(not

>>>Thats where you have the advantage over where I live - more
>
> population,
>
>>>more stores, more competition= cheaper prices. I looked at that
>
> camera
>
>>>the other day in Staples and it was $299.99 ($240.00 US) and has
>
> been
>
>>>that prices for a long time. Most cameras come down in price
>
> eventually,
>
>>>but for some reason, that one hasn't. $99.00 US is REALLY cheap. I
>>>should drive to Buffalo (2 hour drive) and find a Frys store there
>
> and
>
>>>buy it and just pay the 15% tax and just take a chance that it
>
> wouldn't
>
>>>need a warranty.
>>>
>>>Cathy
>>

>>Hi...
>>
>>Future shop is 219 canadian. Know it's more than you
>>want to spend, but it beats Staples...
>>
>>Ken
>

> Actually $219.00 Can. is not more than I want to spend. Up to $300.00
> Can. is ok. But I've
> never seen the Kodak LS743 in Future shop and I live very close to one
> and been looking around for a while. I just checked FS web site tonight
> and I've never seen that camera on their web site.
> I also check websites of Best Buy, Henrys, Blacks, Radio Shack. I
> wouldn't buy a camera from a web site, but those websites all have
> stores. Staples, Best Buy and Future shop all price match, so you can
> often get a good deal if you watch prices. Last week, I bought a small
> fax and copier for home use which was $120.00 in Staples, but was $79.99
> in Best Buy, so I printed out the web page from Best Buy and ended up
> paying $60.00 at Staples as they give you the price match plus 50% of
> the difference so I got a good deal.
> I notice you are with Shaw Cable out west which I used to have, but who
> switched with Rogers Cable who you used to have :)  - So maybe Future
> shop out your way have the LS743 for $219.99 but I've never seen it here
> for that price. In fact, I've only seen it in Staples.
>
> Cathy

Hi Cathy...

I'm in Winnipeg... or Winterpeg if you prefer :)

Here you go...

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?search=KW...

Or, if that's too long or whatever, go to futureshop.ca,
and in the search box just type Kodak

Ken
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 12:16:40 AM

> Cathy wrote:
> > "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message

> > care

> > pretty

> > zoom.

> >>Kodak is selling off its LS743 models at giveaway prices. Fry's had
> >
> > it
> >
> >>this week for $99. That is a 4 mp camera with good manual controls
> >
> > (not
> >
> >>focus). A lot of camera for that price!
> >

> > Thats where you have the advantage over where I live - more
population,
> > more stores, more competition= cheaper prices. I looked at that
camera
> > the other day in Staples and it was $299.99 ($240.00 US) and has
been
> > that prices for a long time. Most cameras come down in price
eventually,
> > but for some reason, that one hasn't. $99.00 US is REALLY cheap. I
> > should drive to Buffalo (2 hour drive) and find a Frys store there
and
> > buy it and just pay the 15% tax and just take a chance that it
wouldn't
> > need a warranty.
> >
> > Cathy
> >
> IF you could still find one. I suspect that the camera sold out in
> minutes. I live about 25 minutes from one and concluded I didn't have
> time to drive over there before it would be out of stock as they had
> only so many to sell.

Yeah, they have those kind of sales here too. They advertise items at
very cheap prices to draw you to the store and they have one per store
or something, so as soon as you get there they said "sorry we are sold
out" - grrrrr. With those kind of ads, I don't even bother going to the
store. they are too good to be true.

>Now I wonder what Kodak is replacing that model with.

They have the LS 753, but its more money of course.

> It was one of the models I considered when getting my current camera,
> but I opted for a 4X zoom.

The L743 is not a bad looking camera. The reviews seem quite good on it
though I forget if I saw samples of pics it takes.

Cathy
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 12:29:37 AM

Cathy wrote:
> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Cathy wrote:
>>
>>>"Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message

>>>care

>>>pretty

>>>zoom.

> their

>>>it

>>>(not

>>>Thats where you have the advantage over where I live - more
>
> population,
>
>>>more stores, more competition= cheaper prices. I looked at that
>
> camera
>
>>>the other day in Staples and it was $299.99 ($240.00 US) and has
>
> been
>
>>>that prices for a long time. Most cameras come down in price
>
> eventually,
>
>>>but for some reason, that one hasn't. $99.00 US is REALLY cheap. I
>>>should drive to Buffalo (2 hour drive) and find a Frys store there
>
> and
>
>>>buy it and just pay the 15% tax and just take a chance that it
>
> wouldn't
>
>>>need a warranty.
>>>
>>>Cathy
>>>

>>IF you could still find one. I suspect that the camera sold out in
>>minutes. I live about 25 minutes from one and concluded I didn't have
>>time to drive over there before it would be out of stock as they had
>>only so many to sell.
>

> Yeah, they have those kind of sales here too. They advertise items at
> very cheap prices to draw you to the store and they have one per store
> or something, so as soon as you get there they said "sorry we are sold
> out" - grrrrr. With those kind of ads, I don't even bother going to the
> store. they are too good to be true.
>

>>Now I wonder what Kodak is replacing that model with.
>

> They have the LS 753, but its more money of course.
>

>>It was one of the models I considered when getting my current camera,
>>but I opted for a 4X zoom.
>

> The L743 is not a bad looking camera. The reviews seem quite good on it
> though I forget if I saw samples of pics it takes.
>
> Cathy

I have. They are quite good for a camera in its original price range.
For $99, extraordinary!
I am sure that if you were first in line at store opening, you would be
able to get one. Wait an hour, not a chance.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 12:31:44 AM

"Ken Weitzel" <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote in message:

> >>Future shop is 219 canadian. Know it's more than you
> >>want to spend, but it beats Staples...
> >>
> >>Ken

Cathy wrote:

<snip>

> > I notice you are with Shaw Cable out west which I used to have, but
who
> > switched with Rogers Cable who you used to have :)  - So maybe Future
> > shop out your way have the LS743 for $219.99 but I've never seen it
here
> > for that price. In fact, I've only seen it in Staples.
> >
> > Cathy
> >

> Hi Cathy...
>
> I'm in Winnipeg... or Winterpeg if you prefer :)

Yes, Winterpeg - cold spot. Its still out west to us here in the big
city :)

> Here you go...

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?search=KW...

Thats the Kodak CX 7430 which is $219.99. I thought it was too good to
be true. Many cameras are on sale from time to time, but never saw that
one on sale.

> Or, if that's too long or whatever, go to futureshop.ca,
> and in the search box just type Kodak

I found the best way to look for digital cameras on FS is from the main
page -click on "Photo and Imaging" then "digital cameras", then it lists
them by megapixels. There is no LS743 anywhere on Future shop site that
I can see. I did see it also on Henrys web site but was a Special order.
Same price as Staples $299.99 Can. Maybe you don't have Henrys in
Winnipeg.They have about 8 stores in Ontario -a few in Toronto and two
or three others in Ontario.They tend to be a bit more expensive than
other camera stores, but now and then they have cameras on sale, but
they sound like could be a bit sticky about returns.

Cathy
!