Sign in with
Your question

Budget PC

Last response: in Systems
October 25, 2011 10:08:44 PM

I have been looking at prebuilt PC's the last couple of days and just found one which looks really good for the price.
First of all, don't blame me for not building it myself. I know it would save a bit of money but I haven't done that previously and at the moment I am not willing to risk. I will definitely learn in the future, since I'm going to change the graphics card for this prebuilt computer later on.
It's on overclockers.co.uk, I have heard great reviews about them and the prices are quite cheap comparing to other trusted companies like scan, aria, misco and others. It costs 300 pounds, not to make the post too long I will just include the link to the specs - here.
Any thoughts or recommendations? Are there better & cheaper systems which cost around 300 pounds from other trusted companies? Would the mobo & psu be good enough to upgrade to a GPU like gtx 460 (without overclock) in the future?
Also I would like to know if it's possible to purchase a GPU from an American website and get it cheaper that way? I know newegg has cheap computer hardware, but unfortunately they don't ship to the UK.

More about : budget

October 25, 2011 10:28:02 PM

Im not in the UK so I dont know your pricing , but that looks like a pretty reasonable computer . The Phenom quad core is decently powerful and would work well with a GTX 460 or even 560 [or radeon 6870 ].

The onboard graphics are the weakest of that generation from AMD but they will do everything except game .

I would ask for more details on the model of motherboard . Just to be sure that there is a graphics [ pci-e x16] slot available . Some very cheap motherboards dont include one .
October 25, 2011 10:29:31 PM

if you give me a website that deals inside the UK, i will build you something for the same price. you can see if you like it.
Related resources
October 26, 2011 8:38:53 AM

Outlander_04 said:
Im not in the UK so I dont know your pricing , but that looks like a pretty reasonable computer . The Phenom quad core is decently powerful and would work well with a GTX 460 or even 560 [or radeon 6870 ].

The onboard graphics are the weakest of that generation from AMD but they will do everything except game .

I would ask for more details on the model of motherboard . Just to be sure that there is a graphics [ pci-e x16] slot available . Some very cheap motherboards dont include one .

Thanks. I also have the same concern. Everything else looks good, only the mobo. I will try contacting them today to find out.

October 26, 2011 9:24:21 AM

on ebuyer, 300 pounds can get you a llano build, a i3-2100 or a Phenom II 955 build with something like a 6570
October 26, 2011 9:53:09 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
on ebuyer, 300 pounds can get you a llano build, a 2100 build, or a 955 build with something like a 6770

Do you mean by buying components seperately or a prebuilt computer? I can only see i3-2100 for ~300 in the prebuilt section. Phenom ones are over 500 pounds.
October 26, 2011 9:53:50 AM

thats build your own
October 26, 2011 10:13:49 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
thats build your own

Thanks for the suggestion but at the moment I'm not really into building my own but I will definetely learn and do it in the future because I will change the video card myself on this system, so that will be a start for me :D 
October 26, 2011 10:20:44 AM

Jump in from the deep end. You'll learn to swim a lot faster.
October 26, 2011 10:31:53 AM

FinneousPJ said:
Jump in from the deep end. You'll learn to swim a lot faster.

I don't think it would save a lot by building the exact same PC. It's quite good for the price and I don't really need an overkill which would use a lot of electricity & be loud etc. Quad core phenom and 1600 MHZ ram is quite enough for me considering that previously I was gaming on a GT 9500, dual core and DDR 800mhz ram. Gaming won't be the main thing for me on the PC but I will obviously play some games here and there...
October 26, 2011 12:26:51 PM

When an OS is added, the price is £379.98 inc VAT -- without a video card. Throwing in the HD5450 and you are still under £400.

I do not believe the 760 IGP can run Aero (it will be borderline) but you should be good with the HD5450 until you snag your video card.
October 26, 2011 1:06:28 PM

Wisecracker said:
When an OS is added, the price is £379.98 inc VAT -- without a video card. Throwing in the HD5450 and you are still under £400.

I do not believe the 760 IGP can run Aero (it will be borderline) but you should be good with the HD5450 until you snag your video card.

I don't need an OS. That's one of the main reasons why I'm using Overclockers because they offer to purchase with or without os... If it can't run aero I will just use a less good looking theme on the windows 7 :)  Visuals arent really a problem for me. At the moment I'm using an XP. I was thinking of getting HD 5770/6770 or the GTX 460. That's why I don't want to rush buying a GPU at the moment. Do you think that would work out for a few monthts until I get the GPU I want?
October 26, 2011 4:43:26 PM

It will be fine.

You will even be able to push 2 monitors with the IGP, but any 3D effects or light gaming will pretty much be a non-starter.

I also suspect it only has 2 DIMM slots -- so be aware of that.
October 26, 2011 9:40:43 PM

Wisecracker said:
It will be fine.

You will even be able to push 2 monitors with the IGP, but any 3D effects or light gaming will pretty much be a non-starter.

I also suspect it only has 2 DIMM slots -- so be aware of that.

I don't really need more than the 4GB (2x2GB) of ram which already comes with the PC and is included in the price.
As I said I only do some gaming and low/medium performance tasks... Well I might host a minecraft server once in a while for 2-4 slots to play with some friends, that's the maximum where I would use the ram performance. Thanks for your help though :)  I will consider getting the HD 5450 as a starter tho... It's really cheap anyway.
!