Sign in with
Your question

Disabled person needs your expertise/opinions

Last response: in Systems
October 25, 2011 11:15:31 PM

I really need some help. I had a life altering accident, and will never be able to work again. My foresight in buying "state of art 10 years ago (2 years before accident), enabled me to stay online for a long time.

Since disability income is so low..I feel that this purchase I am about to make MUST LAST at least 10 years...again. Wanted you to understand my mindset.

It is hard to go FIND a PC that is not an APPLE right now, yet I'VE GOT TO HAVE A TOOL. I am a CPA who TRIES to research investments where speed is crucial sometimes in purchase price.

NEEDS: FAST TOOL to do financial research and to buy/sell in fast moving markets
music
tons of 10 megapixel pictures on both hard drive and external hard drive (which I can't remember how to get to, pre-accident)

want to be able to record videos if needed

want to be able to Skype to see my Mom: I used to take care of her but she had to go live in another state when I had my accident. I know I need to buy a Logitech camera/microphone to attach..only thing the APPLE has on this unit (unless it is a piece of____ which I hope you pro's will help me to know)

I can see a future need to stream movies/old tv shows, etc. I have Uverse now...but have seen practically everything..and know that if I could find a streaming site that was cheap...old stuff I've not seen cause I use to work 17 hour days. Do you have to have a CABLE from the desktop INTO THE BACK of the set I want to stream to? Don't know how this technology works...but know I have to have HDMI...which this unit has

My current PC still has hard drive space: but only running 1 GB ram and Pentium 4 with 1.60 GHz...

So I feel I need the 12 GB RAM NOW...and can see expanding to more than (it says expandable to 48...but does that mean I have to throw away the 12 in place to buy a 48...never did understand this, but in truth: IT sometimes reported to me so I always had good help - back when I worked)

OK, here is what I found that looks promising (but I know NOTHING about this PC maker):

PowerSpec G211

12 GBDDR3 -1333 RAM

2 TB 5,400 Hard Drive

Boot Drive 64 GB SSD

Video Card ATI Radeon 6950 1GB DDR5

Motherboard Intel CX58XO2

Blu-Ray DVD Burner Drive

ATI Radeo HD 6950

10/100/1000 Network

802.11b/g/n Wireless

Bluetooth

North Bridge Chipset Intel x58 Express

South Bridge Chipset ICH10R

Processor Intel Core I7-960

Processor Speed 3.2 GHz

Level 2 Cache 4 x
256KB Level 2 Cache 4 x 256KB

Front Side Bus 4.8 GT/s

Smart Cache 8 MB

CPU Cores 4

CPU Socket LGA 1366

CPU Main Features Virtualization technology; turbo boost technology; hyper-threading technology; idle states; execute disable bit; Intel 64; Enhanced Speedstep Technology

MEMORY:
RAM Installed/MAX RAM 12 GB DDR3RAM(expandable to 48 GB)

Memory configuration 3 (4GB) DIMM Memory Modules

Memory Slots Available: (3) available 240-pin DIMM Slots

(I'm not sure how it gets to 48?)

Hard Drive

2 TB 5,400 RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive

HD Capacity: 2 TB

HD Interface SATA

HD Configuration: 1 x 2 TB

Multimedia Devices: 10x Blu-Ray DVD Burner Drive

1 Optical Drive included

Optical Drive Specs: Blu-ray DVD Burner Drive - 10x BD-R; 2x BD-RE; 8X BD-ROM; 8xDVD+R DL; 16x8x6 DVD+RW; 48x24x48 CD-RW

Ports and connectors:
4 front USB 2.0

6 back USB 2.0

2 back USB 3.0

2 Mini Display Port

2 DVI

1 HDMI

1 front eSATA 3 Gb/s

1 back eSATA 3GB/s

2 RJ-45 network

Front Headphone

Front Microphone

Back Audio

Digital Audio

2 free external 5.25" bays, 2 free external 3.5" bays; 5(3 free) internal 3.5" bays

expansion slots: 3(2 free) PCI-E x16 Graphic interface slots; 1 (0 free) PCI-E X1 interface slot; 1(1 free) 32 bit bus mastering PCI slots

Power Supply: 500 Watt Power Supply

Combined +_12V Rating: 432 watts (36A)

Preloaded Software:
Windows 7 Home 64 Bit OS
Adobe Reader 9
Microsoft office starter 2010
NOD32 Trial
Windows Live Essentials

1 year limited warranty

4 front USB 2.0

6 back USB 2.0

2 back USB 3.0

2 Mini Display Port

2 DVI

1 HDMI

1 front eSATA 3 Gb/s

1 back eSATA 3GB/s

2 RJ-45 network

Front Headphone

Front Microphone

Back Audio

Digital Audio

Windows 7 Home 64 Bit OS

One last thing: I have used Firefox for last many years; a friend came and put it on my PC cause my hubby kept getting viruses and I was still in the flat on my back stage. Does anyone know if Firefox has a 64 bit version?

PRICE: $1,399 plus the Logitech and I'm treating myself to a large monitor.

PLEASE TELL ME YOUR THOUGHTS

My home office is, currently wired, though I plan to go wireless, and I hope to get an IPAD so I can stay connected with a bigger "screen" for a planned cervical surgery in early 2012. (In other words: my total future universe: desktop as mainstay of home office; IPAD (2) for when in bed; and am getting this I-Phone. a friend gave me the original I-Phone and it is dead. The screen is too small for me to SEE WELL.

Eventually, I want to be able to print from the desktop (which this one I'm asking you to opine on, this desktop, it will be the MAIN HOME PC), the mobile, and the IPAD (2) when purchased.

Some people think I'm nuts not to buy APPLE, but I don't think they have as much "goodies" and to meet my "stay on line for a decade" criteria, and I also don't like the idea of putting all my music through I-tunes!

I hope you can help me, and forgive me for such a lengthy post. Debbie
October 25, 2011 11:48:26 PM

Quote:
OK.
Sorry to hear about your sad incident.
However do you plan on gaming at all? (i must ask this).
Also what is your budget please?

No gaming...but the CHARTING and SPEED NEEDS of fast moving TRADING market are similar demands

Budget: as low as possible without having to hire someone to build it, etc...cause that costs. I don't have the skills. I am so UNABLE to function (PC crashed just now so had to reboot)...NEEDED NEW ONE SO LONG BACK. So budget is as low as possible without sacrificing my needs. Not a $ answer, but I'm GOING TO GET WHAT I NEED: if I overspend I won't be able to have the IPAD2 DURING NEXT SURGERY, may not be able to get nice big monitor, etc. This pc IS A NEED, not a WANT.
m
l
October 25, 2011 11:51:03 PM
Related resources
October 25, 2011 11:52:37 PM

Quote:
As a start i have found this to have a great spec and is all round faster than your current finding with a lower price tag.
However this configuration will not do as well in gaming scenarios only.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_II/

thank you for your time. Is this a built to the specs you have delineated? I am not sure I'm comfortable with building something, then it comes and if it doesn't work right...I am barely able to walk to the PC, much less do anything about anything. I have just gotten to where i can SIT at the PC...for any time.

I know, to people who are here in this forum, it is not where you guys live. However, I came here because I have such RESPECT for your skillset.
m
l
October 25, 2011 11:52:51 PM

If you need someone to build it, i will. i just need the money for parts, as you can see there, and an address to send it to. I truly am sorry for this, and would love to help. I do this as a business, so i am skilled to get this running for you. i can get it packaged and sent if you would allow.
m
l
October 26, 2011 12:00:40 AM

384-BiT makes very good sense. However, i assure you i do do this as a business. Im sorry if that came off as being "funny business". It wasn't meant to be. My appologies for all i offended.
m
l
October 26, 2011 12:03:08 AM

i realize that. I was not offended by what you said, i just dont always realize what i say, or how it may come across.
m
l
October 26, 2011 12:12:37 AM

Why don't you post a link to your business?
m
l
October 26, 2011 12:36:23 AM

Thanks for keeping the thread civil!
m
l
October 26, 2011 12:41:39 AM

I understand,thanks for the heads up and thanks for working it out!
m
l
October 26, 2011 12:42:19 AM

My head is swirling! I went and looked at all the things delineated in your list, and can see some things you identified that I had known wasn't BEST IN CLASS, but certainly better than what I have. For instance, and I should give a caveat here: I listen to a lot of TV..NOT THE WEB because I have to sit to have access to the intellect here, so wanted to state that. I thought 7400 RPM was BEST IN CLASS and the unit I was buying was 5400. I have no idea what the difference will be to me: I am but a finance person...but I am still able to discern one number is higher than another.

I had heard SATA was the fastest way to move data (and noted your stuff was all SATA). I remember when I heard about SATA on this program I was watching, it seemed to me that SATA was the firewire type technology of yesterday. Now this was just the way I remembered it.

You are gaming people, and I had a little chuckle when the only thing you gave me a choice of was in video cards! I preferred the name I knew Radeon...but that was the only reason I would pick it.

However, down in the monitor...I wasn't high on the ASUS brand, and dream of BIGGER (yes, a person has to have dreams, especially where I live).

I agree with FinneousPJ, and the others: you should post your business info as there are probably other people who could use your services.

I think to be able to make a choice I need to submit this possibility to the kid who bailed me out before when my hard drive and external hard drive failed simultaneously.

That was something I forgot: the one thing I really liked about this PowerSpec was it had 2 internal hard drives, which seemed to me like a built in back-up. Of course if the unit failed, I wouldn't be able to get to the secondary backup...but it sure made sense to me to backup onto another hard-drive like you would your work/corporate data pc.

I added up your listed prices, and I wouldn't work for less than $100! I must say this: I prefer to believe all people are good, but having been a Chief Financial Officer, I always protect myself because I was trained to be a skeptic.

So no one thought I should go BUY THAT POWERSPEC?

Does anyone here think I should consider an Apple?

Another thing I was attracted to was the lack of "junk" loaded on the PC...but probably none of you know about that cause I bet you all build your own?

I was intrigued to see that this i5 someone listed her put out 4.5GHz???? I haven't seen that before.

I have been given much to think about. I will check back later on, and want to THANK EACH PERSON WHO GAVE A SECOND FROM THEIR DAY TO CONTEMPLATE MY PROBLEM! Thanks to a lot of great people here at Tom's Hardware!
m
l
October 26, 2011 12:46:33 AM

May I add a postscript? That is the fundamental thing that worries me: how does the "uneducated" end user really know how fast the data moves around? What really is most important? I know I have a predisposition to LOTS OF RAM from what I did for a living (built big financial models). But that is what I want, that edge, for speed: but for a different use than gamers. The young man (I think of him as my guru), he helped me when he was in college. Now he works for a gaming company (he won't tell me who?)...and I don't want to bother him because I know how hard it is to work and yet be a kind hearted person (as I am) and to help those that needed help (I used to be the helper). I wish I could call him...but I know he is trying to make his mark in the world. I learned about your site back when he came to help me years back.

Thanks again...for all. Nice, smart people: I MISS THAT!
m
l
October 26, 2011 12:57:45 AM

Quote:
From your post i gather you are debbies husband?

No, my husband isn't on here...I am using his email. Mine is down till I can get a PC that runs and get rid of a bunch of stuff. My world is in a mess. He knows I am using it....when I signed up I had to have an email so I gave it the only one that is operational; we've lived this way for a while. Talk about a mell of hess. Just realized why you made that statement.
m
l
October 26, 2011 2:58:40 AM

The next ten years is going to be much faster by exponential leaps than the last 40.

RAM is cheap. You can get a Gskill 16 gig which is 4 modules x2 gig each with a ballistix cooler to cool them with for about 250 off newegg. These did not exist a few years ago.

I like to run many hard drives in a raid than one big drive. Everything important is saved twice or three times and at least one is removed from the actual location. (Tornados are common here.)

You will want a sturdy CPU, a strong motherboard and strong basic hardware. The more options you have for upgrading or adding on the more future proof is. In the last 10 years I had a 1.6 gig Pentium and that was the hottest back then. Now it's a i7 2600K which is about 340 dollars and runs very close to the current Intel Extreme CPU 1000 dollar unit.

How bad were your injuries? Do you see yourself still with us in 10 years? Something to consider.
m
l
October 26, 2011 4:54:52 AM

x Heavy said:
The next ten years is going to be much faster by exponential leaps than the last 40.

RAM is cheap. You can get a Gskill 16 gig which is 4 modules x2 gig each with a ballistix cooler to cool them with for about 250 off newegg. These did not exist a few years ago.

I like to run many hard drives in a raid than one big drive. Everything important is saved twice or three times and at least one is removed from the actual location. (Tornados are common here.)

You will want a sturdy CPU, a strong motherboard and strong basic hardware. The more options you have for upgrading or adding on the more future proof is. In the last 10 years I had a 1.6 gig Pentium and that was the hottest back then. Now it's a i7 2600K which is about 340 dollars and runs very close to the current Intel Extreme CPU 1000 dollar unit.

How bad were your injuries? Do you see yourself still with us in 10 years? Something to consider.

x Heavy said:

XHeavy: Your future predictions are something I wasn't thinking of, per se, but I know you are right!

Very impressive disaster planning (I had a CFO gig for an ATM Network and had to have my tandem switch on dual electric grids...you are a natural for that type of risk management position!)!

If you have the time, can you give me a quick lesson on expanding RAM? I know RAM is cheap...but can you explain to me this: say I owned the PC I was looking to purchase and it has 12 GB RAM, 3 4 GB DIMM Memory modules..but the product specs says it is expandable to 48 GB...does that mean you pull out the 3 4 GB...and replace those 3 with 3 12 GB someday? This is the one thing I don't have a handle on...and it continues to hamper me when contemplating the scenario you describe!

What options for upgrading should I consider, other than RAM? Can a Motherboard be pulled out and replaced with a faster one...and it all work "OK"?

What else?

I am afraid I will be around to suffer the pain longer than I'd like.... I do all possible to distract myself mentally to cope, and to extend as long as possible, independence. It is not a journey I'd wish on anyone...but I am BLESSED: I AM STILL IN MY HOME, hoping to have a rocking PC...and maybe I can stream movies across a network in my home onto my wall LCD and an IPAD2 (FOR THE CHAIR/BED area when not able to be in office)....as I strive to extend asset life/return.

After my next surgery....maybe new goals.

Thank you for your time and response to questions above.
m
l
!