Phantom 410 owners help! - How do you install the HDD?

kimmetje

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Hi there,

I've bought the Phantom 410, will hopefully be able to show pictures soon.

I am struggling with the HDD racks and was wondering if there was anywhere more detailed step-by-step instructions? Whilst installing the Seagate 7200.12 1TB drive, the metal pins keep getting pushed out of their spaces...

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Kimmetje

You have to modify it to fit your tastes.
A. You don't want to use a 1 TB drive for the operating system and programs.
B. use a small fast drive for the operating system and programs. A 1 TB drive will be very slow.
C. Use a 1 TB drive, installed as a second drive, just for your personal files. Don't put the OS on your 1 TB personal file drive.
D. Adjust the bios settings so that your small fast OS drive boots first.
E. Make the 1 TB drive the default save location for downloads. Don't store personal files (like videos, documents, music, pictures) on the OS drive.

kimmetje

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Hi, I don't think you've understood my question :)

I'm talking about actually physically installing the hard drive on the 3.5" racks which are provided in the Phantom 410 case. It's supposed to be a tool-less system but it's not working quite as easily as I suspect it should.

This 1TB drive is actually going to be a tertiary drive, a couple more come before it including an SSD for the OS and programmes, and a hybrid after that for highly-used personal files :)

kimmetje

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
I'll give it a go. The manual doesn't say very much aside from bending the tray but its requiring so much pressure that I am a bit worried about breaking it... Maybe I am putting it in backwards, who knows!! :pfff:

kimmetje

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011

Well, looks like I have managed to put it in thanks to your advice!

The pins are very retractable, a bit too retractable in fact to the point that they sometimes popped out with the pressure being applied to them. Anyway, the line up two, secure and then line up the other two worked like a charm!

Thank you.

Glad it worked = CM trays on the 690II are similar.
Used the same method.

Ibrahim112

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
I am having the same problem. The holes on the HDD (1TB 7200 RPM Seagate) are not lining up with the holes in the tray. How did you get it to work??

kimmetje

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
It may be aas simple as one of the two is being put on backwards. The pins are designed o move a little as well.

In the end it's best to focus on getting it right on one side, and then working the other side.

Rooski

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
I've found the easiest way to do it is to use the larger cage holes and insert the rubber alone, then slide that into place into the smaller holes, which sit over the screw holes of the hard drive. Once lined up, push each pin in one at a time until you hear it click, then move onto the next.