What eats 30-35% CPU every 30-60sec...?

jalozorcaia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Hello;

My WinTask Manager shows spikes in my CPU usage around 30-35% about every thirty-sixty seconds. The System Idle Process never shows any CPU loss from 99% at these times... What steals this much CPU and doesn't show up in the WinTask Manager? Core WinSystems? Is my Task Manager faulty? Or is something hiding and feeding on my system?

My Processor is the "x86 Family 15 Model 36 Stepping 2 Authentic AMD ~1994Mhz" for the "ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200" Motherboard/Integrated Chipset

XP Pro Sp3/.Net Framework 3.5(fully updated I believe).

The one thing I'm wondering about is ATI Catalyst Control Center 10.2.

UPDATE: At suggestion, disabling all Scanning from my anti-virus does not seem to affect the spiking. Observing these spikes for a pattern, I note that there seem to be 3-4 "beats" in a row, about every 30 seconds, then they stop for 3-4 "beats" of 30sec. each, then start up again. The only Startup I have not Disabled in MSConfig is bdagent.exe...which does not show as eating CPU during the spikes, nor show any significant CPU time. As I write this, bdagent.exe has not even had any CPU time, whereas the System Idle Process has had 30min. and iexplorer.exe 3min.

chippies

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
Honestly, it could be anything. To see if it is a part of the OS kernel that is using this CPU time, in task manager go to the performance tab, select View\Show kernel times. This should add a second line to the CPU usage graph which will show how much of the CPU usage is due to the Windows kernel and how much is due to applications.

chippies

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
In task manager, you can also sort by the CPU time column, instead of the CPU column. This will show which processes have been using the most time and might give you a better idea as to which process is the culprit. One other thing, have you selected the "Show processes from all users" check box at the bottom of the processes tab? That option will also show system processes.

Call up Resource Monitor, use the CPU tab and sort on the CPU (you might need to click on the CPU column twice to get the high usage processes at the top)

windows-7-resource-monitor-computer-activity.jpg

Use Resource Monitor to monitor CPU performance

jalozorcaia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

I have tskMngr 5.1. It will not Show a second graph line dedicated to kernals.

Regarding CPU time, the culprit is not showing in the Processes list - System Idle Process is 99% during these 30% spikes - so naturally, does not show a CPU time.

Regarding All Users, I am Admin/sole User, so everything is shown already...

Thanks for the response!

jalozorcaia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

I have BitDefender A-v+'12. These spikes occur even when all Scanning is disabled.