Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Motherboard problems

Last response: in Motherboards
November 27, 2012 1:00:44 PM

Hi, I got a really good pre-build system within the last year: a GTX 560, i7 processor, 16gb ram, 1 tb hard drive. Everything worked fine until about two months in 4 of my 8? usb ports stopped working. Can a cheap motherboard fry all your components. I'm starting to think that since the system only cost me $1100 dollars that they may have cheaped on component's like the motherboard. The system still works fine otherwise. I recently sent it in to get a replacement motherboard and am just wondering if them putting a cheap motherboard in was the problem in the first place.

The power supply is 700w, which should be more than enough for that system. The motherboard is a ASROCK is it a problem with the motherboard or was I just unlucky?

More about : motherboard problems

Best solution

a c 121 V Motherboard
November 27, 2012 1:52:05 PM

More recent ASRock's tend to be pretty stable and solid motherboards. It is possible you just got a fluke.

But it is definitely the motherboard (if it was the CPU all ports would not work)
November 27, 2012 2:14:36 PM

Yeah, everything was working great and I plugged in one last peripheral and four broke instantly. It was a xbox controller, but not the wired one that you're supposed to use. It was the wireless one, that has a usb connector, but I don't think it's meant for PC's.
m
l
Related resources
a c 121 V Motherboard
November 27, 2012 2:43:43 PM

Since it is the wireless one, it could have drawn more power than the USB bus (each bus usually controls 4-6 ports) was designed to handle, and burnt it out.
m
l
November 27, 2012 2:56:48 PM

Best answer selected by bryjoered.
m
l
November 27, 2012 3:00:12 PM

Yeah, I should've just bought the wired one right then. It works so well, I hook my PC up to my TV and there is literally no difference from playing on xbox just at 1080p with far superior graphics.
m
l
!