Sign in with
Your question

I5 2500k clock interrupt crashes

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 26, 2012 3:30:58 PM

Hello,

I've been experiencing the pleasure of "A clock interrupt was not recieved on a secondary processor within allocated time interval" BSOD crashes with a frequency of around 2-3 times a week. I've been trying to stop these crashes for 6 months now, they have been occuring since I bought the PC.

The PC was pre-built and I chose an option for it to be pre-overclocked by the system builders, however the 1st time I booted up I was greeted with an "Overclock failed" message in startup. I reverted all the settings I could find in setup to default and managed to boot to Windows. However I am now cursed by the aformentioned BSOD's usually in the middle of a Total War battle i'm about to win -_-

My BIOS is up to date as are all relevant drivers. I will list below some system specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1
3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-2500K
Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8P67-M PRO Rev
AMD Radeon HD 6850 (Manufactured by ASUS as far as I can tell)
4 GB DDR3 Ram of unknown model.
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1004 11/24/2011

I will also link a .dmp file for one of my more recent crashes. I tried to install Debugging Tools for Windows to check it myself but I couldn't seem to get it installed using Windows SDK.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/305616/012312-2...

Any help at all would be much appreciated. I mainly wonder if the processor is physically damaged, in that case I suppose I will have to send the PC back and hope the system builders are willing to replace it.

Thanks for reading

Trouser Trout.
a c 152 à CPUs
January 26, 2012 5:55:00 PM

You could try pulling the CMOS battery to see what happens. You said it was pre-built who built it? Also what frequency and voltage did they overclock it to? If it's still under warranty I would call the computer manufacture up and either have them fix it or give you a new computer.
January 26, 2012 6:22:33 PM

A company called Easy PC based in Derbyshire built it. The overclock they were aiming for was 4.8 Ghz. When I told them their overclock had failed they cited a low mains power supply at my location as the reason. They gave me some settings to use for an overclock:

The main part is the core ratio limit, this is multiplied by 100 to give the CPU clock speed.
I.e for single core we set 49 x 100 thus 4.9ghz.

If its unstable just bring down by 1 or 2.
Or increase the CPU offset voltage to 0.05

Tuner mode to manual.
Turbo ratio = by per core
1-core 49
2-core 48
3-core 47
4-core 46

Internal PLL voltage enable

CPU offset voltage = 0.03
VCCIO Voltage = 1.15
PCH Voltage = 1.15
Load-line calibration = enable
CPU Spread Spectrum = disable.

Really I would rather just run at default settings for now and overclock when I need the performance a few years down the line. I just want to sort the instability, am I right in thinking that choosing default settings in setup should ordinarily give a stable system?

I contacted them again a few months after recieving the PC saying I was still having these crashes, they asked me to clarify the BSOD error codes etc, which I did. I literally said to them help me sort this or I will send the PC back. They never got back to me.

I suppose pulling CMOS battery would void the warranty?
Related resources
a c 152 à CPUs
January 26, 2012 6:28:30 PM

I don't think it will void the warranty. In the user manuals I just checked said to clear the CMOS through a CMOS jumper or pull the battery. The manuals don't say anything about pulling the battery or clearing the CMOS will void their warranty. Anyway even if it does as long as you put the battery in right I don't see how they'll prove you took it out, as long as you don't say anything I don't think they can prove you voided the warranty.
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2012 6:30:14 PM

Reset everything to stock settings. If the issue remains, you either have a very low level OS problem [best case], or an actual CPU failure [not very likely though].
January 26, 2012 7:05:15 PM

I already reverted to stock settings, will try pulling out the CMOS battery. What do you mean by low level OS problem gamer ?
a c 82 à CPUs
January 26, 2012 7:09:56 PM

If there is a warranty then use it, and then don't use them again, Low mains power my arse.
a c 152 à CPUs
January 26, 2012 7:16:37 PM

I agree it sounds like Bull to me. You should have returned it as soon as you started having problems. If clearing the CMOS doesn't work I would use the warranty to get it fixed or demand your money back.
a c 82 à CPUs
January 26, 2012 7:45:53 PM

you have rights use them, the longer you wait the harder it will be to convince them that its an issue they need to deal with. Ask trading standards for a template letter that they'll hopefully recognise you've taken advice.
Oh and get rid of any special photos before you give it to them, and make usre all of your data is off it.
!