Low FPS on replaced parts... So frustrated!

johnkats

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Hey all, I originally had a q6600 and a gtx 260 with some old Dell motherboard. i was getting low FPS in sc2 so I upgraded my whole system, piece by piece. I first updated the motherboard and cpu, to a i5 2500k. No change/mild change in fps on max settings in big fights (20-30 fps) in starcraft 2. I upgraded my video card to a gtx 560ti. No difference. Changed my psu to a nice, quality 750 watt.
Nothing changed.

I'm so frustrated right now. The temps are normal. Why is this happening?
When I play on max settings the game feels a little stuttery aswell. Not extreme but it feels slightly "laggy" compared to when I play on the lowest setting despite it being 60~ fps in the beginning of the game.

Could it be my hard drive? it's the only old part still existing.....

I'm so mad/frustrated. Please help me.

lozotheatheist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Well... It could possibly be your harddrive. If its from an old dell computer its probably a 5400 rpm drive. If i could maybe see about replacing that with a 7200rpm 1tb or getting a 60gb ssd and put your windows and main hdd intensive games on that and use the hdd as a storage drive.

johnkats

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
How do you check what hard drive you have ? since it's dell, I can't really tell what it is by opening it up.... it's fairly old though. I'm not really sure how many years a go but it was back when a q6600 and 8800gt was good.

lozotheatheist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Well by the 8800gt was really good about 3.5 years ago. If you can, open the case and read any, ANY, markings on the hard drive it's self. Then, once that it is done report it back here and i will continue on.

johnkats

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

I reinstalled windows fully so... i don't think that's a factor :[

johnkats

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

yes

copnas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Just to have it as as a factor and not as a solution do this:
Start your game, after you notice that your fps drops alt+TAB to windows and then back again to sc2. What will be the result, will your fps raise again? If yes for how much time will they be raised if they will drop again.
Another one: what happens if you start sc2 in windowed mode or what happens if you notice that you have fps drops and change after this to windowed mode?

johnkats

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
my cpu jumps to very high load when i play... normal?

Doesn't matter whether it is campaign or multi-player.
* Doesn't matter what video settings or mode (resolution, quality or windowed mode was changed back and forth).
* No antivirus or utilities running in background, and nothing else in the process list is using more than a couple percent CPU.

johnkats

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

No, I'll do that next i suppose.

EDIT: only thing I upgraded since my last windows reset was my CPU.

Even with DELL computers you should be able to get specifics of the Hard Drive by looking at the label. I have looked at HDs in a few hundred DELLs and they all had the stats clearly visible on them.

If you don't know what to look for just look for a serial number or something and we can google search what kind it is.

Also, you can go into your hardware manager by doing:

Right click Computer
Properties
Device Manager
Disk Drives

If you just post the character strings you see shown in there we can figure it out ourselves as well.

For that matter, every part should have a listing in there with a description by it that we can use to help you out.

Also, could you post the exact type of Power Source that you have.

g-unit1111

Titan

If you upgraded your motherboard, you definitely need to reformat your HD and do a full install of Windows. It'll clear out all the old drivers.