Best motherboard for I5 upgrade

I'm building a system with I5 right now since the 3930s are hard to come by, but I want to be able to upgrade later to an I7 or later cpu down the line when the price is more reasonable.

Is this feasible or will I most likely have to upgrade my motherboard anyways?
If it is feasible what's a good motherboard to get?
8 answers Last reply
More about best motherboard upgrade
  1. Well, what do you really plan on doing with the system? Overclocking? i5s are great for gaming and the core i7s only have HT, 100Mhz more core speed, and 2mb more L3 cache, which really doesn't help in games. If you get a z68 or p67 board you can upgrade to a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge core i7 in the future. Any LGA 1155 board will support both a core i7 and i5 too.
  2. HostileDonut said:
    Well, what do you really plan on doing with the system? Overclocking? i5s are great for gaming and the core i7s only have HT, 100Mhz more core speed, and 2mb more L3 cache, which really doesn't help in games. If you get a z68 or p67 board you can upgrade to a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge core i7 in the future. Any LGA 1155 board will support both a core i7 and i5 too.


    Thanks, I'm a big gamer, but at the same time I multitask with Firefox, iTunes, and do photo editing work with Photoshop. Before I upgrade I'll probably overclock my I5 and SLI my GPU to get an extra boost right before.
  3. Stick with an i5 period then. You don't need a i7 for that. Although, if you felt you needed more power later on, an IB i7 might be nice. What is your budget?
  4. Note that you can't actually get a Z68 or P67 board and later upgrade to the i7 3930k - that proc is an LGA 2011 socket Sandy Bridge-e chip. Only X79 chipsets/mobos can use that proc. And they cannot use i5s.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_2011
  5. HostileDonut said:
    Stick with an i5 period then. You don't need a i7 for that. Although, if you felt you needed more power later on, an IB i7 might be nice. What is your budget?


    My budget will be around $1200-$1500.

    I have the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 selected since it has the PCI-E 3.0 slot for a later upgrade and the LGA 1155. However I read a couple people were having some trouble with the Bios.
  6. tyler384 said:
    My budget will be around $1200-$1500.

    I have the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 selected since it has the PCI-E 3.0 slot for a later upgrade and the LGA 1155. However I read a couple people were having some trouble with the Bios.


    Like I said above, that board can NOT upgrade to an i7 3930k since the socket is different.
  7. inanition02 said:
    Note that you can't actually get a Z68 or P67 board and later upgrade to the i7 3930k - that proc is an LGA 2011 socket Sandy Bridge-e chip. Only X79 chipsets/mobos can use that proc. And they cannot use i5s.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_2011

    I know, I said IB. A 3930k is SB-E socket LGA 2011.
  8. tyler384 said:
    My budget will be around $1200-$1500.

    I have the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 selected since it has the PCI-E 3.0 slot for a later upgrade and the LGA 1155. However I read a couple people were having some trouble with the Bios.

    There is no need for a 3930k CPU, as games will not use the 6 cores. A core i5 2500k with a decent cooler with OC very well and hold you over until you need a upgrade. LGA 1155 p67/z68 boards can upgrade to IB when it comes out. I actually own a Extreme3 Gen3 which is basically the same board without USB 3 on the front and a few other things and I have had no issues with it. I HIGHLY recommend it!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards Intel i5