Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card compatibility

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 27, 2011 6:25:29 PM

Hi guys,

i was just wondering if some graphics cards such as the Radeon 5850 or GeForce GTX 460 would work with my FoxConn A6VMX motherboard?

I was having some problems with my screen losing signal during gaming and figured it was a problem with the power supply, so i went out and bought a 620 watt PSU, unfortunately the problem is still there so i figure it must just be the card that cant take the heat.

Any advice would be appreciated.

August 27, 2011 6:27:55 PM

Oh and it's an old GeForce 9600 GT i have by the way incase you guys are wondering
a b U Graphics card
August 27, 2011 6:28:38 PM

Yes those cards will work just fine in that mobo, but determining the problem first would be a great start. Have you checked your temps on your hardware to determine if this is the real problem?
Related resources
August 27, 2011 6:30:45 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
Yes those cards will work just fine in that mobo, but determining the problem first would be a great start. Have you checked your temps on your hardware to determine if this is the real problem?

I did a couple of months ago (before i had too much on to really bother with the issue) and it was running quite hot as far as i can remember, what can i do about this?
August 27, 2011 6:32:15 PM

Also i only have 2gb memory would this affect the issue at all?
a b U Graphics card
August 27, 2011 6:35:32 PM

the 2mb will certainly not give you the performance you would need; I suggest a minimum of 4. The high GPU temps that can be kicking your GPU off; if that is in fact the problem, and you were looking to upgrade anyway, just go ahead and do it.
August 27, 2011 6:42:18 PM

i dont suppose you would know what kind of memory upgrade i could put in a Foxconn A6vmx?
a b U Graphics card
August 27, 2011 6:53:38 PM

according to the specs, you can have a max of 4gb, which should be okay, but it supports DDR2 only and the fastest of that support would be 800mhz. If this is an AM2+ board that only supports DDR2, then you will definitely see a bottleneck across the board with a new graphics card. What CPU are you running?
August 27, 2011 6:55:44 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
according to the specs, you can have a max of 4gb, which should be okay, but it supports DDR2 only and the fastest of that support would be 800mhz. If this is an AM2+ board that only supports DDR2, then you will definitely see a bottleneck across the board with a new graphics card. What CPU are you running?

AMD Phenom 9550 Quad core 2.2ghz
August 27, 2011 6:58:49 PM

The problem is a heat issue, I have personally encountered this with 2 computers. Both had issues with videocards (one Ati 9200se AGP, no fan & BFG 6800GT AGP, fans slowed down, heat, artifacts and no signal on monitor, but system was still on) once the 2 cards were replaced and the systems completely cleaned out (fans, new thermal paste for cpu) the machines are still running and that was a year and a half ago.

PS: Go with an Ati 5770 or an Nvidia 450Gts. Make sure they are Pci-E 2.0, not 2.1 as you may have issues with that board. Plus the Ati will run cooler and use less power over all
a b U Graphics card
August 27, 2011 7:03:37 PM

Si2themax said:
AMD Phenom 9550 Quad core 2.2ghz

ok, @ that frequency, you can afford to overclock you cpu a bit, and still be able to run games just fine with a newer graphics card. Good luck, and I hope this fixes the issue.
August 27, 2011 7:08:22 PM

rattman169 said:
The problem is a heat issue, I have personally encountered this with 2 computers. Both had issues with videocards (one Ati 9200se AGP, no fan & BFG 6800GT AGP, fans slowed down, heat, artifacts and no signal on monitor, but system was still on) once the 2 cards were replaced and the systems completely cleaned out (fans, new thermal paste for cpu) the machines are still running and that was a year and a half ago.

PS: Go with an Ati 5770 or an Nvidia 450Gts. Make sure they are Pci-E 2.0, not 2.1 as you may have issues with that board. Plus the Ati will run cooler and use less power over all

Is there any particular fan you would suggest?

In whole i'm looking at 2gb ddr2 memory upgrade
new fan(s)
new GPU (bit of a budget so may go for the Nvidia 450Gts)

again is all this stuff compatible with my Foxconn A6VMX mobo?
August 28, 2011 3:46:19 PM

yeah, no issues with anything listed, for CPU I would go with the CM Hyper 212+, memory upgrade is not really necessary unless you are running 64bit Windows, possibly a fan in the back of the case to direct heat out can be purchased very cheaply and will help with airflow. The new GPU will help, always keep fans for everything in PC clear of dirt, dust, hair... this is just to keep good airflow, with the better CPU fan you could OC the CPU to 2.8Ghz approx and get more frames out of games. Again, make sure the videocard you get is Pci-E 2.0, not 2.1 or won't work. Have fun with the little changes and keep it clean, your system will last a little while longer.
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 4:23:08 PM

+1 on the hyper 212, its a great cooler; just make sure it fits before you buy
December 12, 2011 4:34:35 PM

I have an almost identical setup as the guy you`ve helped out with the exception my Gfx card is an NVidia GeForce 7300 SE / 7200 GS model, same motherboard Foxconn CE A6VMX series, CPU AMD Phenom 9550 quad core 2.2Ghz, memory 2Gb and yes it is AM2+ ready.

I wanted to ask the same questions, which thankfully have been answered already, as trying to run Elder scrolls 5 SKYRIM in windowed mode 800*600 is both a joke and unplayable without turning every other programme off.

I will be taking this advice onboard and upgrading my poor dinosaur of a machine.

Only other question would be, how do I safely overclock CPU given there appears nothing available via the BIOS? 2.8ghx from 2.2Ghz sure would help a ton .
!