MSI Z77-GD55 - working perfect, then lost audio

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Hey guys -
I had put together two new builds with identical boards: MSI Z77-GD55's - and both had been working perfectly through the weekend.
The i5 system is still working just fine, but the i7 has lost output via audio jacks. It lost the sound after having been shut down Sunday night. It might be possible the i7 recieved some sort of ninja Windows-patch, but I've gone through a complete re-install (took litterally 5 minutes to reinstall Win7) and the condition remains.

There are a couple things to mention:
With only the Realtek audio driver installed, the Audio Playback sound option does display the correct audio jacks, but does not detect speakers / headphones - and thus will not allow output.

Once the Realtek Audio Manager (software) is installed, only the High Definition Audio remains - and the standard audio jacks disappear (again, preventing audio output).
An optino within the Realtek Audio Manager allows to "Ignore auto-detection of front panel" (I think was the description) - which was required to be selected in order to play audio when it DID work - but now, that doesn't even have an effect... I'm not getting any audio out.

It might be remotely possible to have been resultant from the MSI Live Update having updated the MB BIOS - but I believe I still had audio for at least 1 day past the update, before resulting in the current condition. If this is the case, I may be able to test older firmware updates...

The drivers I had initially used, and used once again after reinstalling was the same, straight off the CD.

Lastly, the speakers I've used still work on other systems just fine, and no speakers will work with this MSI.

There's something I may be missing, but the hardware + software wouldn't be any different.

Check in the bios make sure the audio chipset is turned on. the only other issue i seen is with some video cards and hdmi audio and windows. sometime the hdmi audio becomes the main output.if you see nvidia or ati hdmi audio on that system disable it and see if audio comes back. if not sounds like the audio chipset may have died on the other mb.

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009

Thanks Smorizio - Yep, I had disabled the nVidia HDMI "High Definition" sound devices, and expected audio connections still report "disconnected".

I will have to check the BIOS settings though...

Gonna also try transplanting the SSD into the i5 system (since it's identical hardware except for the CPU) - and that'll tell me a lil bit more.