Canon - Digital Rebel - Storing images as RAW, JPG final R..

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 16, 2005 4:18:00 AM

Hi Group,
1. Just acquired a Digital Rebel but don't seem to have "RAW" as a Quality
option - just the 6 basic JPG options i.e.
Large normal / fine
Medium normal / fine
Small normal / fine
but no RAW
Any ideas why and how to resolve?

2. Having chosen Large / Fine and got my local photo outlet to write to CD,
I notice resolution is only 72 dpi/ppi. Is this right? I would have
expected 200 - 300 or more.
Might this be the jpg settings in the Camera or is is caused by the software
that burned the CD?

M.
April 16, 2005 4:18:01 AM

In article <BVX7e.51617$Z14.40281@news.indigo.ie>, goodwinm@iolfree.ie
says...
> Hi Group,
> 1. Just acquired a Digital Rebel but don't seem to have "RAW" as a Quality
> option - just the 6 basic JPG options i.e.
> Large normal / fine
> Medium normal / fine
> Small normal / fine
> but no RAW
> Any ideas why and how to resolve?

Just scroll down one more line
its the very last option on the bottom

Dont have mine in my hands,but you might not have it available in "Auto"
(green box) mode.

The 72dpi means nothing! That is simply and EXIF entry. It does not control
the output when you print, the printer does, whether its a home printer or a
printer at a photo printing place. You tell the printer what size you want
and the printer works accordinly. In other words, you decide how many DPI you
get when you print by telling it what size you want.

At 72 dpi a print of a full-sized Drebel image would be several feet high
(not inches - FEET)

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

"Michael Goodwin" <goodwinm@iolfree.ie> wrote:

> Hi Group,
> 1. Just acquired a Digital Rebel but don't seem to have "RAW" as a Quality
> option - just the 6 basic JPG options i.e.
> Large normal / fine
> Medium normal / fine
> Small normal / fine
> but no RAW
> Any ideas why and how to resolve?

Sorry to be trite, but a quick read of the manual would have answered
your question for you. As I recall, the raw setting is not available
when you have the automatic setting selected on the top dial.

> 2. Having chosen Large / Fine and got my local photo outlet to write to CD,
> I notice resolution is only 72 dpi/ppi. Is this right? I would have
> expected 200 - 300 or more.
> Might this be the jpg settings in the Camera or is is caused by the software
> that burned the CD?

This is a function of the way the files were written and processed.
Sounds like that were saved for viewing on the web. Talk to your photo
processor about it, or just do your own photos.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 12:59:11 PM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:18:00 +0100, "Michael Goodwin"
<goodwinm@iolfree.ie> wrote:

>Hi Group,
>1. Just acquired a Digital Rebel but don't seem to have "RAW" as a Quality
>option - just the 6 basic JPG options i.e.
>Large normal / fine
>Medium normal / fine
>Small normal / fine
>but no RAW
>Any ideas why and how to resolve?

I have a DR. Read the manual; you're in the full auto mode, and RAW
isn't an option then.

>2. Having chosen Large / Fine and got my local photo outlet to write to CD,
>I notice resolution is only 72 dpi/ppi. Is this right? I would have
>expected 200 - 300 or more.
>Might this be the jpg settings in the Camera or is is caused by the software
>that burned the CD?

Forget the 72DPI; it's a nominal figure reported by most photo aps,and
you'll change it for printing (if you know how).
Otherwise, the 72DPI doesn't mean anything.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

"Michael Goodwin" <goodwinm@iolfree.ie> wrote in message
> Hi Group,
> 1. Just acquired a Digital Rebel but don't seem to have "RAW" as a Quality
> option - just the 6 basic JPG options i.e.
> Large normal / fine
> Medium normal / fine
> Small normal / fine
> but no RAW
> Any ideas why and how to resolve?
>

> 2. Having chosen Large / Fine and got my local photo outlet to write to
> CD,
> I notice resolution is only 72 dpi/ppi. Is this right? I would have
> expected 200 - 300 or more.
> Might this be the jpg settings in the Camera or is is caused by the
> software
> that burned the CD?
>
> M.

RAW is only available in the "Creative" modes, not the "Basic" modes, so
make sure that you are set on P, Av, Tv or M, rather than the modes
represented by icons.
If you have PhotoShop, pull up an image, go to Image/Resize. Click off the
box marked "Resample" and change the longest dimension (should be 42.
something inches) to 12 inches. Magically, your resolution will be 292dpi.
That's if you have the RebelXT, if it's the Rebel D, your res will be
slightly lower. And your dimensions will be 8"x12". Dpi is rather
arbitrary, but what you are seeing is the total number of pixels divided by
the dimensions.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com