Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Revised Build...Hopefully finished now!

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2011 6:16:26 AM

Here is another look at a build im trying to put together, with a bit of revisions from the posts on my previous thread.

Processor
- Intel i7-2600k

Motherboard
- ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z

Graphics Card
-EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Classified 3072MB x2

RAM
*-Vengeance™ — 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9)

Hard Drives
*-Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (MKNSSDCR120GB-DX)
-Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive x2 (Unless Samsung F3s Go On Sale)

PSU
*-Corsair Professional Series Gold 1200-Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified High-Performance Power Supply - CMPSU-1200AX

Case
-Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Monitor
*-Undecided D: HELP!
Drives
*-ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS - OEM
-ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Items with a * have been changed.
Ive decided to stick with the Maximus 4 Extreme Z because of the Graphical UEFI, im a noob when it comes to overclocking and using BIOS so this looks like it would help me out alot.
Any input on which monitor/monitors i should use to show the true potential of 2 GTX580s would be nice.
I also would like to ask if the H100 (or any other easy to assemble/low maitanence) cooling unit would support an overclock of up to 4.5Ghz or higher? I dont really wanna deal with building my own WC Loop.
Thanks Alot Guys :) 

More about : revised build finished

Best solution

October 26, 2011 7:38:04 AM

Shmister said:
Here is another look at a build im trying to put together, with a bit of revisions from the posts on my previous thread.

Processor
- Intel i7-2600k

Motherboard
- ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z

Graphics Card

RAM

Hard Drives
*-Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (MKNSSDCR120GB-DX)
-Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive x2 (Unless Samsung F3s Go On Sale)

PSU
*-Corsair Professional Series Gold 1200-Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified High-Performance Power Supply - CMPSU-1200AX

Case
-Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Monitor
Drives
*-ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS - OEM
-ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Items with a * have been changed.
Ive decided to stick with the Maximus 4 Extreme Z because of the Graphical UEFI, im a noob when it comes to overclocking and using BIOS so this looks like it would help me out alot.
Any input on which monitor/monitors i should use to show the true potential of 2 GTX580s would be nice.
I also would like to ask if the H100 (or any other easy to assemble/low maitanence) cooling unit would support an overclock of up to 4.5Ghz or higher? I dont really wanna deal with building my own WC Loop.
Thanks Alot Guys :) 

Hello again :) ,

The H100 is dirt-simple to install, which is one of its best features. It even comes with the TIM thermal compound pre-applied. It is designed for inexperienced builders. It also fits in almost any Corsair case. It outperforms all air coolers and competes with some water cooling kits. It is a superb CPU cooler.

The Noctua NH-D14 is a great alternative AIR cooler but it is kind of ugly (I can say that because I own it ha, ha). The D-14 however is probably the best all-around air cooler on the market and it great for overclocking.

You will not need two 580s for a single monitor. I am not an expert at this but people get two 580s to power three monitors or a 27" monitor and such. I think a single 580 will power two 24" monitors but as I said, other will know more about it than me.

The Asus blu-ray burner is on sale right now for $79.99 afger rebate. The link is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The only feature it does not have is light scribe.

AsRock has a graphical UEFI also, as does Gigabyte and MSI. Asus is supposed to have the best UEFI but MSI and AsRock have improved theirs lately.

I would strongly suggest that you get a motherboard that is Ivy Bridge compatible and PCI-E 3.0 compliant. The Asus board that you like is $360 and it will soon be outdated. I don't think that in less than a year from now when Nvidia starts putting out PCI-E 3.0 video cards that you are going to be very happy that you spent $1000 on two 580s which will be dirt-slot compared to the PCI-E 3.0 cards and $360 on a motherboard that has no PCI-E 3.0 slots and is not Ivy Bridge compatible.

If you get the right motherboard now, all you will have to change to upgrade is the CPU and the GPU. You won't even have to take your computer apart. If you get a 1 GB 6950 for $200, then when the new GPUs come out you will have $800 to spend on the most current, cutting edge cards. PCI-E 3.0 is going to be a LOT faster than PCI-E.

Now a lowly 6950 (1GB) will still play almost any game (not at the highest settings) and it will run three screens with eyefinity (not at full resolution I think but that would take a separate thread to figure out).

Check out some reviews on the AsRock Extreme 7 Gen 3 mobo. Yeah it is not the rage of the gamers as the Asus Maximus boards but I am not sure that the Maximus is the best way to go right now because Asus has not updated them yet (as far as I know, I could be wrong). If it was GEN 3 compatible then yeah, it would be worth the money.

The I-7 2700k is on Newegg right now for $369. Here is the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... It is brand new and so I don't know how well it performs. It is not Ivy Bridge.

October 26, 2011 7:48:49 AM

Just read a review, the 2700K is not that much faster than the 2600K and it is overpriced right now.
m
l
Related resources
October 26, 2011 8:39:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. Which section would be best to figure out which grapchics cards\ monitors to get. Other then those I will also look into the asrock gen3 (but I've read reviews that the uefi isn't good and not fully matue) or any other gen3 mobo. Would the h100 or D-14 capable of a 4.5+ Ghz overclock? Appreciate u taking the time to help me out :) 
m
l
October 26, 2011 9:54:19 PM

Shmister said:
Thanks for the reply. Which section would be best to figure out which grapchics cards\ monitors to get. Other then those I will also look into the asrock gen3 (but I've read reviews that the uefi isn't good and not fully matue) or any other gen3 mobo. Would the h100 or D-14 capable of a 4.5+ Ghz overclock? Appreciate u taking the time to help me out :) 

I own the AsRock Extreme 4 Gen 3 (not the Extreme 7) and it is a solid board. I have had no problems with the BIOS. However, AsRock updated the BIOS is what I heard, but the professional reviews I have read have not mentioned problems.

Here Tom's Hardware picks it over the Asus Deluxe and MSI boards:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z68a-gd80-p8z68-del...

Here is Kit Guru's review: http://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/zardon/as...

Again no mention of BIOS problems and they pick it as the "luxury leader." The in fact state that the BIOS is very good. Here's a quote:

"We think the ASrock bios configurations are some of the best on the market. They always offer a series of preset overclocked configurations for inexperienced users which are extremely easy to enable. Their motherboards detect the processor which is installed and then offer various settings to suit a wide audience. Overclocking the Core i7 2600k from 3.4ghz to 4.6ghz simply required a single bios change. A 1.2ghz rock solid overclock with minimal effort really deserves special mention."

Kit Guru also commends the board for its "future-proofing."

Here's another professional review from Tweaktown: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4272/asrock_z68_extrem...

There only criticism of the board is the the overclock at 5.08 GHZ is slightly behind the Asus Maximus.

Remember that when the PCI-E 3.0 Video cards come out the Asus Maximus will not be able to take advantage of their increased bandwidth and speed. The Extreme 7 will leave it in the dust at that point and the Maximus board will sadly be outdated. At $360 that is a steep price to pay for a few months use.

You might consider waiting until Asus comes out with its Gen 3 boards if you are not in a hurry. I have not heard when that will occur.
m
l
October 26, 2011 10:10:28 PM

Shmister said:

If I were you, I would start two threads on the monitor. One in the "New Builds" section and one in the Monitors section. The "New Build" section gets a lot more attention from posters. The same goes for graphics cards.

As far as the graphics card, the 1 GB 6950 will save you an absolute ton of money and is still a very capable card. When the Gen 3 cards come out you will only be out $200 or less. Think of it as a temporary card that provides a good base to upgrade off of. Tom's Hardware just reviewed several 1 GB ATI 6950 cards. If you decided you needed more power you could crossfire two 1 GB 6950s and STILL be $600 ahead of two 580s.

Remember when manufacturers start making the PCI-E 3.0 cards ALL of these cards will be slow in comparison because the PCI-E 3.0 is that much faster. So if you buy a video card today, in less than one year it is guaranteed to be outdated. Because the 3.0 slots will handle so much more bandwidth, the difference should be quite a bit.

You can also run two screens off of a 6950. If you are going to run two screens, I would suggest going to the 2 GB 6950 which is only about $25-$40 more than the 1 GB 6950.

Finally, YESSSSS, BOTH the H100 and the D14 will easily support a 4.5 + Ghz overclock. I believe you could go to 5.0 Ghz with either cooler - especially with a good cooling case and high quality PSU. Both are high quality and easy to install (the H100 is the easiest because it has pre-applied TIM thermal compound). I own the D14 and it was easy to install - just put a dab of TIM a little larger than a pea and you are ready to go. The D14 is noted for its high quality mounting mechanism as is the H100.

The H100 absolutely is a cooling beast. The D14 also is a cooling beast (look at the positive reviews on Newegg), however the H100 is 3C-5C better than the D14. Either of these coolers are favorites of serious overclockers. My D-14 keeps my non-overclocked 2600K CPU at 38C or less, which is just ridiculous. The H100 is even better. Both are fairly quiet, however the H100 is a little loud at high fan.
m
l
October 27, 2011 1:31:15 AM

Asus does have a Maximus Gene-z Gen3 board. It seems fairly similar to the Maximus 4 Extreme Z. Have you heard anything about this particular board?
m
l
October 27, 2011 1:39:42 AM

Shmister said:
Asus does have a Maximus Gene-z Gen3 board. It seems fairly similar to the Maximus 4 Extreme Z. Have you heard anything about this particular board?

No I haven't, but the Asus Maximum boards universally are praised in reviews. Is this the smaller board, not the full size? If I were you I would try to find some reviews on it.
m
l
October 27, 2011 1:44:43 AM

BTW, the Noctua NH-D14 is an ugly chocolate brown - that is the only downside to it ha, ha. The fans are ball-bearing highest quality.
m
l
October 27, 2011 1:50:50 AM

Ill probably go with the Corsair H100 rather then D14. And the Gene-z Gen 3 has had good reviews but i think i might lean towards the Asrock gen 3 after i read that review you posted.
m
l
October 27, 2011 2:30:17 AM

Hey big news my friend :)  - the Corsair AX1200 is on sale at Newegg right now for $240 after rebates. I have never seen it that low. Here is the link:

http://www.newegg.com/emailpromo/
m
l
October 27, 2011 5:13:09 AM

Ive also taken your advice on going with the ASrock Extreme 7 Gen 3. Now all i need is monitors :) 
m
l
October 27, 2011 5:16:25 AM

This is what i have come up with now

Processor
- Intel i7-2600k

Motherboard
*-ASrock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3

Graphics Card

RAM

Hard Drives

PSU

Case

Monitor
Drives

Cooling
-Corsair H100

Does this look alright now, or is there anything else i might need to tweak?
Oh and is it necessary to have both Blu-Ray drives?
m
l
October 27, 2011 5:52:00 AM

Shmister said:
This is what i have come up with now

Processor
- Intel i7-2600k

Motherboard
*-ASrock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3

Graphics Card

RAM

Hard Drives

PSU

Case

Monitor
Drives

Cooling
-Corsair H100

Does this look alright now, or is there anything else i might need to tweak?
Oh and is it necessary to have both Blu-Ray drives?

No, you only need one bluray drive. Preferably a bluray burning drive.

The HP ZR24W is $360 on Newegg. It is an IPS monitor.

m
l
October 27, 2011 6:51:08 AM

Hey here is a review on the AsRock Extreme 7 Gen 3 motherboard where it pretty much spanks the Asus Maximus Extreme:

http://www.ocaholic.ch/xoops/html/modules/smartsection/...

They got a 5.2 Ghz overclock which is phenomenal.

As far as the monitors, I would go with the 24" Asus monitors if you are going to go with the TN panels. Check Newegg and see which ones they are offering. They usually offer the latest models.

You ask, "are the IPS (HIPS) monitors that much better?" Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but for me, yes they are. The biggest thing is that the colors are accurate and don't look cartoonish. Pictures and videos and movies look like real life. If you use a high-en video card (which you will) with an IPS/HIPS monitor you get a picture that rivals a Samsung HDTV picture (though not quite as good) which is amazing for a computer monitor because the HDTVs have additional video processing hardware and software that no monitor has.

That being said, there is definitely something sexy about having three eyefinity monitors going at once, even if they are TN monitors. The TN monitors are cheap and fast which makes them ideal for gamers on a budget.

The IPS monitors are used by photography professionals because of their color accuracy. This tells you the quality of the picture. The TN panels are cheaper to make and that explains their price.

If you are going to watch movies and color accuracy is important to you, then there is no other choice. If you mainly are going to game then it is less important because you are in a kind of cartoon world most of the time. However, a lot of gamers swear by the IPS monitors because of their beautiful rendition of games.

For example, one reviewer of my monitor, the HP 2475 stated that the jungles of Cyrsis had never looked so lush until they saw them on this monitor. They stated that it brought out details they had never seen.

It is very subjective like asking, "which sound system is the best?"However, nearly every reviewer states that the IPS monitors are superior to the TN panels.
m
l
October 27, 2011 7:08:46 AM

This Asus blu-ray burner is as good as any of the burners out there: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is $80 after rebate which is as cheap as I have seen any burner. Asus has a good reputation. I read every review I could find on blu-ray burners to try to figure out if Lite-On or Sony or Asus or Pioneer was the best. It will drive you crazy. I honestly think they are all about equal. Certainly there is very little difference in performance and/or reliability between the latest models of the top manufacturers.

I would have preferred a Sony, but I am not sure that they are any better than any other brand. Therefore, I just bought the cheapest one available among the top brands.

Also, don't be deterred with offers of "blu-ray software" packaged with the drive. My Lite-On burner came with that software and I didn't even load it. If you are going to be playing blu-rays you will need something like Power DVD Ultra 11 or Total Media Theater 5. I got Power DVD 11 at Amazon for $62 which is very cheap.
The enclosed software is old and buggy and I did not want to mess with it. Usually they ship with Power DVD 9 and it is a hobbled version of that. It was cheaper and easier for me to not mess with it. So far I have been able to play any blu-ray disk I have rented.
m
l
October 27, 2011 7:07:51 PM

Shmister said:
Yea ive seen some reviews now on the IPS monitors but becasue im mostly gonna game i think ill just go with a TN since they are so cheap and good monitors. Ive been looking at this one right here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... probably end up getting 2 of them.

The Asus monitors are loved by the gaming community and that says a lot. I would get one first to see how you like it. If you like it, then you can always get another. If you don't, the good thing about these monitors is that they are so cheap and you are not out a lot of money. Also, if you buy it from Amazon or Newegg you can return it within 30 days if you don't like it.

I do think for gaming, running three Asus monitors in eyefinity would rock. I am not sure how Nvidia cards run extra monitors but you probably can run three monitors off of two cards in SLI. I think that one 2GB 6950 will run three monitors but not at full resolution. I have not set up an extra monitor system and so I don't know much about them other than what I have read.
m
l
October 27, 2011 7:12:29 PM

Alright ill go with 1 monitor see how it is then buy a second or even a third. Thank for all your help, now all i needa do is watch my money drain as i purchase all this hardware :) 
m
l
October 27, 2011 7:21:20 PM

Shmister said:
Alright ill go with 1 monitor see how it is then buy a second or even a third. Thank for all your help, now all i needa do is watch my money drain as i purchase all this hardware :) 

Read the Amazon and Newegg reviews on the monitors that you are interested in. Though many of them are not that valuable, some of them can point out potential problems with the monitor. If you find a check, a possible problem, try to find some professional reviews to verify that it is a problem. Newegg reviews are full of people who are not the brightest bulb on the tree comments. Most of your one egg reviews are these people and they have little to add to the true quality of a product because nothing makes them happy.
m
l
October 27, 2011 8:20:24 PM

Thanks, ill let you know on which monitor i decide to get. Gonna spend some time now to research a few.
m
l
October 29, 2011 3:41:21 AM

Best answer selected by Shmister.
m
l
October 29, 2011 8:57:35 AM

Shmister said:
Gonna go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
good reviews and a nice price. Being that its so cheap i will probably upgrade or even go to three monitors soon here in the future

Hey I know that this monitor got good reviews but isn't there an Asus 24" monitor that is equal to this monitor in performance? There is a size difference between a 23" and 24" monitor. I know that the performance should be about equal and the price is not much different.

Go with a 24" monitor if you can.
m
l
October 29, 2011 8:54:36 PM

Hey I found this Gen 3 board by Asus at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is a good mid-range board. The next board up is this the Deluxe: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It doesn't look like they have put out a Asus Maximus Gen 3 board.

The AsRock Extreme 7 enables 2X - 16 x 16 PCI-E 3.0 slots because it has the NF200 bridge and the Asus boards listed above do not (they allow 2x - 8 x 8 slots which is slower).

So the Extreme 7 is step above the above Asus boards because they allows 8 less bandwidth lanes per PCI-E slot. The Extreme 7 is a much better board.

Right now for a high-end Gen 3 board, the Extreme 7appears to be the best board out there from what I can see. I am not sure what Gigabyte offers.

If your heart is set on Asus, they probably will put out a Maximus Gen 3 board soon but it will be expensive
m
l
October 30, 2011 8:52:28 AM

Shmister said:
I went with the ASrock Extreme7 like you said. Parts are being shipped now :)  THis was the Maximus board i was talking about http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maxi... I cant wait to build this new computor this week :)  Thanks for the help

Yeah that Maximum is the Micro ATX board which I think lacks several features that you will want. It is not a full-size board. Honestly, I have read several reviews on the Maximus boards and they are always reviewed well, but the reviewers are never saying this is the board to get because they have bugs in some of their features and they are expensive. They are great at overclocking and are quality boards but I think the new AsRock boards are as good or better. Even MSI is going to Japanese capacitors and uping their warranty to five years. Asus is not really ahead of other manufacturers anymore.

Also, Asus's customer service is absolutely pathetic and they are unapologetic about it. They undoubtedly make a good board but they are going to have to get a little humble and take care of their customers if they want to stay on top.

In the most recent review that I read on the Extreme 7, the board allowed an overclock to 5.2 Ghz - which is amazing. Couple this with the fact that it is $70 cheaper than the Maximus motherboard and has nearly every feature that the Asus board has.

When I build my next computer I will look at Asus but I will also looking at the other major brands just as closely.

Let us know how your build comes out.
m
l
!