Sign in with
Your question

GTX 570 enough for 1080p 3D + Physx?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 27, 2011 7:43:25 PM

Hello,

I'm planning to buy the GTX 570 Twin Frozr next week & wanted to know if a GTX 570 would be able to handle modern games (ie. Battlefield) @ 1920x1080 with 3D Vision & possibly Physx enabled?

I wouldn't be using AA during 3D mode, so that could factor in.

Thanks.

More about : gtx 570 1080p physx

a b Î Nvidia
August 27, 2011 8:26:33 PM

Should be no problem yeah.
August 27, 2011 8:29:42 PM

The GTX 580 is an extra £100, so wondering if the performance gain would be worth it...
Related resources
a c 330 Î Nvidia
August 27, 2011 8:49:40 PM

You should be good as long as you don't try to crank up the settings on a demanding game like Metro 2033.
August 27, 2011 9:13:54 PM

K1LLER HORNET said:
The GTX 580 is an extra £100, so wondering if the performance gain would be worth it...

If you want to max out all the games, a GTX580 will be the one you should buy
a c 80 Î Nvidia
August 27, 2011 9:24:02 PM

gunslinger36 said:
If you want to max out all the games, a GTX580 will be the one you should buy

And even that will not max out all games.

I use two 470's in SLI (a little faster than a 580) in 3D, and I can't come close to max settings in Metro 2033 and others. That said, the extra depth gained by 3D makes even questionable quality graphics look great. Much of the effects that slow a game down are there to make a game look more like true 3D, but when you see it in 3D, you don't need those effects as much.

If maxing out games in 3D is your goal at the budget between a 570 and 580, you might consider 560ti's in SLI.
August 28, 2011 12:26:50 AM

Thank you everyone for your input.

I'm not looking to absolutely max out every game so think I'm gonna grab the GTX 570 Twin Frozr III for £253 once Scan get them back instock.

I'll just put the £100 saved towards a CPU upgrade. Still running an E8400 @ 4GHz :p 
Probably gonna wait for LGA2011 :) 
August 28, 2011 1:45:05 PM

Quote:
if im not mistaken that dual core will severely bottleneck that card :) 

Yeah I expect it to bottleneck the card slightly, but I want to hold out a while before upgrading my CPU/Mobo/RAM.
AMD's Bulldozer is right around the corner & if that isn't impressive, I'll try & hold out for Intel's LGA 2011 platform :) 
August 29, 2011 6:33:11 AM

K1LLER HORNET said:
Yeah I expect it to bottleneck the card slightly, but I want to hold out a while before upgrading my CPU/Mobo/RAM.
AMD's Bulldozer is right around the corner & if that isn't impressive, I'll try & hold out for Intel's LGA 2011 platform :) 

Deffo go for the GTX580. I bought the ASUS DirectCU-II, and it gives impressive results in 3D using an OC'd Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz. There are some serious drops in performance with 3D, though: have a laugh at the FPS stats. I wouldn't say it makes the game unplayable: but would warn you that low FPS in 3D is the mother of all headaches...

http://amillionbytes.wordpress.com/2011/08/20/3d-gaming...

[I'm going to remove my 8800GTX from the mix today (it's doing Physx) and redo the benchmarks as the mobo switches to 8x | 8x with another card plugged in, and I think that might be hitting the fps... we shall see...]
August 29, 2011 8:45:46 AM

FYI just took out my 8800 and got these FPSs (in [] are the old FPSs which was when the 8800 was in the machine)

Just Cause 2 Concrete Jungle:
3D: 13.36 [14.24]
Norm: 24.06 [22.87]

Just Cause 2 Desert Sunrise:
3D: 25.73 [24.65]
Norm: 41.45 [40.07]

Mafia 2 Physx High
3D: 21.8 [23.9]
Norm: 27.0 [42.5]

Mafia 2 Physx Off
3D: 31.2 [NA]
Norm: 53.5 [NA]

So, I figure this is what's happening:

Physx enabled games do seem to get a nice boost: but what you gain in FPS is killed off by 3D, and especially 3D with Physx is turned on. (Presumably the Physx drivers haven't been properly optimised for 3D: are they doing the calculations twice?)

If you're talking ideals, then yeah it's gotta be SLI and to get the fps up with everything turned up to STUPID and with lovely 3D it's gotta be 2 x GTX 580s. And in that case, presumably you'll get Physx calculation boosts anyway.

So yeah. There you have it.

Looks to me like Tom needs to get some real stats out there instead of stuff written down by me :p 
August 29, 2011 9:00:55 AM

amillion said:
Deffo go for the GTX580. I bought the ASUS DirectCU-II, and it gives impressive results in 3D using an OC'd Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz. There are some serious drops in performance with 3D, though: have a laugh at the FPS stats. I wouldn't say it makes the game unplayable: but would warn you that low FPS in 3D is the mother of all headaches...

http://amillionbytes.wordpress.com/2011/08/20/3d-gaming...

[I'm going to remove my 8800GTX from the mix today (it's doing Physx) and redo the benchmarks as the mobo switches to 8x | 8x with another card plugged in, and I think that might be hitting the fps... we shall see...]

Damn, was set on the 570.
Gonna have to reconsider now.

Thanks for your input & review/benchmarks. Was a great read.

I wont be using features such as Anti Aliasing when in 3D mode as I believe it isn't very noticeable & I can turn down/off features like shadows, motion blur & v-sync.
Not sure if a 570 will suffice then. Any chance you can do some benchmarks like that?

My motherboard (ASUS P5Q-Pro), although old, has two 16x lanes, so later down the road, if I get performance hits, I may grab a second cheap card for Physx.
What do you think? Good idea? or should I just put that £50 or so towards the GTX 580?

Thanks.
August 29, 2011 9:15:48 AM

K1LLER HORNET said:
What do you think? Good idea? or should I just put that £50 or so towards the GTX 580?

OH HELL YES. Even if just for the brag factor :p  haha :)  I read a lot on the 570 on here, and decided on the 580 just as I was stood in the shop. I'm glad I did - the 3D really needs it.

Also, for a laugh, I put Physx onto my CPU for Mafia 2... I got 7fps in 3D. HA! :p 

It sounds like I'm in a similar situation to you: waiting to find out what the new chipsets are like before I build the next PC? I have a P5E VM Deluxe with 2 x 16 lanes, but it switches down to 8x / 8x with two cards in. I wandered if this was hindering the FPS which is why I started all this bollocks. BUT having a second card for Physx games does seem to boost it as they promised, I just don't know if I want to sacrifice my nice quiet lovely cold PC for the VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWOWOOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWWOMMMMMMMMMMMM I get every 5 minutes from the old 8800 whenever the GTX580 next to it gets a bit too warm...
August 29, 2011 9:28:58 AM

amillion said:
OH HELL YES. Even if just for the brag factor :p  haha :)  I read a lot on the 570 on here, and decided on the 580 just as I was stood in the shop. I'm glad I did - the 3D really needs it.

Also, for a laugh, I put Physx onto my CPU for Mafia 2... I got 7fps in 3D. HA! :p 

It sounds like I'm in a similar situation to you: waiting to find out what the new chipsets are like before I build the next PC? I have a P5E VM Deluxe with 2 x 16 lanes, but it switches down to 8x / 8x with two cards in. I wandered if this was hindering the FPS which is why I started all this bollocks. BUT having a second card for Physx games does seem to boost it as they promised, I just don't know if I want to sacrifice my nice quiet lovely cold PC for the VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWOWOOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWWOMMMMMMMMMMMMN I get every 5 minutes from the old 8800 whenever the GTX580 next to it gets a bit too warm...

Ok, I guess I'm sold on getting a 580 :p 

Now to decide which model to go for.

Which would you choose from here? :
Budget is around £375 (Dual slot)

August 29, 2011 9:46:31 AM

I can't seem to edit my own messages, so I'll just post a new one lol.

I just noticed this:

Looks like a great deal :D 
Now to get Scan to price match, or buy from Aria :) 
Looks like a great price :D 
a c 168 Î Nvidia
August 29, 2011 12:47:29 PM

Quote:
if im not mistaken that dual core will severely bottleneck that card :) 

Not really, I ran a pair of OC'd GTX560Ti's on my E8400 for a while to see how they performed and whilst the framerates were better at 3.6ghz than they were at 3.0ghz the 'slideshow' effect that you get with a true 'bottleneck' was not there as everything ran buttery smooth.

August 29, 2011 7:06:16 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Not really, I ran a pair of OC'd GTX560Ti's on my E8400 for a while to see how they performed and whilst the framerates were better at 3.6ghz than they were at 3.0ghz the 'slideshow' effect that you get with a true 'bottleneck' was not there as everything ran buttery smooth.

Good to hear, thanks mousemonkey.

I should hopefully be ordering my GTX 580 tomorrow :) 
August 30, 2011 5:03:00 PM

ASUS makes great cards for a cheaper than EVGA price. I am running the 560 in my new rig, plan to sli a second shortly, and it runs quiet, cool, and incredibly smooth! have fun choosing your new toy!
!