Your question
Closed

Stick with onboard or use my old X-Fi?

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 26, 2012 5:15:01 PM

New system build. New board has a Realtek ALC892 chipset for the sound. My old system has a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic that has served me well. I'll be running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and was wondering which one would offer me a better gaming experience. Thoughts?

More about : stick onboard

January 26, 2012 5:27:32 PM

Try the onboard for a week or so,if it doesn't satisfy you install the x-fi card.
Score
January 26, 2012 5:49:10 PM

I don't know about that particular card but I wouldn't be surprised if it's better. You can just plug it in then try your speakers on the Realtek and then on the sound card.
Score

Best solution

January 26, 2012 6:15:41 PM

RazorEye: Recently had an experience that affected using soundcards that is an eye opener. First I use headphones for 2 of my rigs. I have Logitch G35s and since the soundcard is built into the headphones and it hooks up with USB only I could do away with the dedicated add on sound cards.

Most importantly, on rig three I was using a Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro a really nice SC. I upgraded the MB to an Asus Sabertooth 990FX and wanted to run 2 460GTX video cards in SLI. The PCI-E slot was not accessible for the soundcard so I am using onboard sound with the same Realtec ALC 892. It is VERY good. My speakers are an older Dell 5.1 Surround sound system with 4 smaller speakers, a bass and a central control unit. Hardly a "high end" speaker system. The sound is great from the onboard chip.
January 26, 2012 6:20:47 PM

Best answer selected by RazorEye.
Score
January 26, 2012 6:22:23 PM

Thanks guskline. I'll take your experience to heart and run without my card for now. Should do well staying in my older P4 system to help it cope as a backup system for me.
Score
January 26, 2012 6:24:31 PM

I'm so satisfied with the onboard sound that I put the Titanium Fatality pro up for sale in the classified section of this forum.
Score
January 26, 2012 6:35:47 PM

Hm. I thought onboard was good until I plugged an AuzenTech Bravura in and finally heard crisp, clear sound on the computer. I won't be going back to onboard.
Score
January 26, 2012 6:38:27 PM

^+1 me neither i tried onboard it just doesn't cut it for me.
Score
January 26, 2012 7:01:24 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!