Closed Solved

Stick with onboard or use my old X-Fi?

New system build. New board has a Realtek ALC892 chipset for the sound. My old system has a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic that has served me well. I'll be running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and was wondering which one would offer me a better gaming experience. Thoughts?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about stick onboard
  1. Try the onboard for a week or so,if it doesn't satisfy you install the x-fi card.
  2. I don't know about that particular card but I wouldn't be surprised if it's better. You can just plug it in then try your speakers on the Realtek and then on the sound card.
  3. Best answer
    RazorEye: Recently had an experience that affected using soundcards that is an eye opener. First I use headphones for 2 of my rigs. I have Logitch G35s and since the soundcard is built into the headphones and it hooks up with USB only I could do away with the dedicated add on sound cards.

Most importantly, on rig three I was using a Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro a really nice SC. I upgraded the MB to an Asus Sabertooth 990FX and wanted to run 2 460GTX video cards in SLI. The PCI-E slot was not accessible for the soundcard so I am using onboard sound with the same Realtec ALC 892. It is VERY good. My speakers are an older Dell 5.1 Surround sound system with 4 smaller speakers, a bass and a central control unit. Hardly a "high end" speaker system. The sound is great from the onboard chip.
  4. Best answer selected by RazorEye.
  5. Thanks guskline. I'll take your experience to heart and run without my card for now. Should do well staying in my older P4 system to help it cope as a backup system for me.
  6. I'm so satisfied with the onboard sound that I put the Titanium Fatality pro up for sale in the classified section of this forum.
  7. Hm. I thought onboard was good until I plugged an AuzenTech Bravura in and finally heard crisp, clear sound on the computer. I won't be going back to onboard.
  8. ^+1 me neither i tried onboard it just doesn't cut it for me.
  9. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Components