SSD Not recognized after Freeze

Hello,
I am really hope that you guys can help. I have owned my PC for about 4 months in this time my Computer will randomly blue screen (about once a week). It seems that the SSD (with the OS) seems to stop working. While the other drives continue to work till the OS fully crashes. (eg. watching a show off another drives show keeps going but then audio goes and then video and then blue screen) the drive is not recognized on restart (in the BIOS) unless I fully shut down the system.

I have switched out the power supply, the motherboard and ram.

As well I switched SSD 3 times 2 OCZ and one Intel.

Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z

Processor: Intel 2600k

Ram: 2* GSKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB PC3-10666 Dual Channel DDR3 Kit

SSD: OCZ Agility 3 Series SATA III Solid State Drive, 120GB

Video Card: eVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5

HHD: Assorted HDD 5400 and 7200 for storage.

Power Supply: Corsair AX850
3 answers Last reply
More about recognized freeze
  1. There are 2 things that I can recommend you do in this situation. I'm assuming by your post that you are currently using the OCZ Agility 3 SSD.

1. Go to:
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Vertex_3,_Vertex_3_Max_IOPS,_Agility_3,_Solid_3,_RevoDrive_3_and_RevoDrive_3_X2/

Download and install the 2.15 firmware update. First of all, this finally fixes a longstanding issue with the sandforce controllers that can cause the computer to randomly blue screen. (Remember to backup your data first)

2. Make sure that your Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z board has Hot Plug turned on for your SSD in the UEFI. You will likely need to enable Advanced Mode to access this. It is located in the Advanced Tab under SATA Configuration.

Not turning that on can cause your computer to just randomly freeze to the point that you might just have to power it off.

You shouldn't have an issue after doing these 2 steps.

Cheers
  2. I will give it a try thank you very much
  3. I have that too sometimes. You need to unplug the sata and the power cable and put it back in again. It will recognize it again then.

There's a new firmware update by the way, it might help ;) haven't tested it myself
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt SSD Systems