Motherboard won't start when off for a few hours. Solved! (motherboard was bad)

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Note: I posted this same problem in a different thread when I had less data, sorry for those who read again.

I have a new motherboard won't boot when it's "cold" so to speak, this happens when it's been off for a few hours, when this happens the power supply turns on and the cpu fan and power switch lights turn on, the keyboard flickers its lights normally, yet there's no beep, no video. I've tested the mobo inside its case and also outside, that is: the bare mobo (with the ram stick and processor) with another good and tested power supply, then I've tried to start it by shorting the appropriate pins in the system panel header, no hard drive, nothing else, and the same happens, no video at all.
If I push the i/o button on the power supply and then press start again, the PC starts OK (I have Windows 7). Also, if I shut down and then try to start the PC before 4 or so hours have passed, the PC starts well.
So I took the mobo to the computer shop where I got it, and surprisingly the guy told me that he'd tested it with another another hard drive with Windows 7 and the problem doesn't happen. I answered that the problem happens even with the bare mobo. I also tested the PC starting from a Boot CD with a mini OS (Mini Windows XP) and disconnecting the hard drive, with another power supply, and the same happens.
I've tested voltages during this phenomenon and they're ok. Even power good is good although a bit lower: 4,88v instead of 4.92 when the PC starts well.
The same happens if I hibernate/sleep the PC instead of shutting down, no start if PC has been off/slept/hibernated for more than 5 hours.

My idea is that motherboard is bad, or perhaps the processor or ram stick, what else?. I wonder why this PC shop won't simply return the mobo for replacement, it's less than 3 months old. What do you think? Don't you think that blaming my Windows 7 when the bare mobo gives the problem is nonsense?

INVES ZAFIRO 2301E
Motherboard Asrock G41M-VS3 R2.0
Pentium D 805 2,6 GHz 2,1MB cache L2 FSB 533
4GB SDRAM Kingstom Hyperx 1600

700w PSU

L_o_Pys

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010

Hello All,

I have the same problem with this motherboard. Everytime I switch on the PC after a few hours, it won't start up properly (i.e. it powers on, but windows doesn't load and all you see is a blank black screen; in a few instances the PC will reboot on its own and in a few cases it will run a check disk). I found that if I let the PC stay on for a couple of minutes to "warm up" and hit the restart button, it starts working normally. I'm not sure if starting it up in this manner would damage or create issues for my hard drive either. If anyone has a solution to rectify this problem, I'd be much obliged.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate (32bit) with a Pentium 4 3.2GHz Processor, Transcend 4Gb 1333Mhz RAM, 750W Silverstone OP750 PSU and the same motherboard (ASRock g41m-vs3 r2.0)