Xfx 6970 vs xfx 5850 crossfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

Well, sounds like you are ready. If it were me I wouldn't crossfire two older cards right now, but you are right that the 5850's offer a decent value for the price. It sure would be a nice rig either way.
Depends. Do have a power supply that can handle two 5850's? How about your mobo? And your case cooling? Its almost always a better idea to go with one powerful card vs two slower ones. Dual GPU's put out a lot of heat, particularly when they are close together. Its not a simple yes or no question. I like the prices on their HD 5850's right now, I'm just not sure I would invest in two of them right now. The HD 6000 series is already nearing end of cycle, newer cards will likely be coming out before the end of the year.

Did you notice the 5850 you posted is deactivated? That should tell you something about the future of 5000 series cards. Pretty soon they will be two generations old.

keith808

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
right now i have a 850 power supply and my crosshair is working perfectly but i was just wondering if it was a worth while upgrade. but my mobo is a crosshair formula v with the raven 2 case so heat is not a problem =D

thanks

Well, sounds like you are ready. If it were me I wouldn't crossfire two older cards right now, but you are right that the 5850's offer a decent value for the price. It sure would be a nice rig either way.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS