ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Random Shutdown/lights on board not working

pepperjj31

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Hello,
I recently purchased a new Antec DF-85 case alone with a ASRock Z77 Extreme6 from newegg. When i got the board, i hooked everything up with the case, and when i pressed the power button, nothing happened. I went to go read the manual to see if there was anything obvious i was missing, and after 5 minutes it randomly started on its own. It stayed on until the next day and it shut off again. When I start the computer up, 1 of 4 things will happen. Nothing will happen, the computer will turn on and shut off while windows is starting, the computer will shut off after 5 minutes, or the computer will stay on from 1-3 days. If the computer wont start, the best way to make it start is to turn off the PSU for 30 minutes-1 hour, turn it back on, and press the power button. The power button on the board doesn't light up and neither does Dr. Debug. The only signal that there is power to the board is when i have the PSU turned on, the lights next to the Ethernet port are on(even when the computer wont start). I tried pulling everything besides the CPU from the board and nothing happened. Also one other thing to note is that the CPU fan spins at 100% (around 4500rpm) until I turn it down to 70%(around 2100rpm) with speedfan. This is what i have in my computer:
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
RAM: 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vencence
PSU: Corsair HX750
CPU: Intel i5 2400k
HDD: 1TB 7400rpm
I was told by a friend that its most likely the board and that i should return it and get a new one, but I was thinking it could be the PSU. I'm somewhat new to building computers and things like that, so i didn't do any fancy overclocking or anything. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Yea I'm leaning more towards the power supply a little bit because there may be some weird thing going on with powering the LED's however the same could be said about the motherboard. I'm really thinking motherboard unless you are getting ripples in power.

pepperjj31

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
No, the only other PSU I have is an old one thats 150W, and I don't think anyone I know has an extra PSU. I might order one, see if it works, then if it works keep it and if it dosen't work send it back.

pepperjj31

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

Ok I have a microcenter about 30 minutes from my house so i can pick one up there

pepperjj31

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

Just to see what would happen I hooked up the bad PSU i have with only the wall plug in and the 24-pin in the board and the fans started spinning so its most likely the PSU, I'm still gonna go to microcenter though.