Sign in with
Your question

Question about power supply + wiring

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2011 11:08:37 AM

Ok, so I just mounted my power supply, but was wondering if it was better to mount it downwards, my case has rubber standoffs for the power supply to stand on, and a vent/dust filter below for it to fan through, although it will be sitting on carpet, so keep that in mind.

Also, what are some good resources for pc building/wiring(inparticular) help?

Thanks
-adren
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2011 12:21:54 PM

What PSU and what case?
m
l
Related resources
a c 85 ) Power supply
October 26, 2011 12:30:15 PM

Looks like a normal case to me. You can only mount the PSU one way.
m
l
October 26, 2011 12:30:38 PM

If you are putting it on carpet, do not put the fan facing down. It'll get clogged and broken in no time, regardless of filters.
I would however recommend putting something down like a tray or even a large mouse mat. Then you can mount it downwards and the PSU will have a much better life.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2011 12:33:04 PM

If by downwards, you mean fan down to draw air from outside the case, then yes, you can. You might have to slightly modify the mounting holes for the screws(mod the case NOT the PSU), but no big deal really. Youtube is a good source for How-To videos, just search for PC build tutorials.
m
l
October 26, 2011 1:04:09 PM

No, my case is designed to mount both ways, I just don't know if it is safe because of the carpets or if it is even worth it
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2011 7:41:22 PM

adrennn said:
No, my case is designed to mount both ways, I just don't know if it is safe because of the carpets or if it is even worth it

Anytime you can get air from outside the case to use for cooling it's a good thing. :D  unless the carpet fibers are very dense and air won't flow through them, I say mount it with the fan on the bottom.
m
l
!