Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card Running Too Hot!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 27, 2011 11:42:14 PM

My GPU is running at 65C when I'm not playing games. When it is, it gets to like 91C. It is the NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT. Why? I have 2x 120mm intake fans, one in the front, and one on the side. I also have a 120mm outtake fan in the back. I'm using Afterburner to set the GPU's fan at 100% at all times. Before when I had it said on Auto, it went to like 75C when I wasn't even playing games.

What's going on? I have all these fans, the PC is in a pretty open area, and the GPU fan is running on max. The games I play don't even take up much graphics, like Duke Nukem Forever and Team Fortress 2. I dusted the whole case as well.

Yes, I overclocked the card just a tad bit, but then I set it back to stock settings, so it should be normal again. I have no idea why it's so hot. Please help.

Here's my specs for further information...

CPU - Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5400 @ 2.7GHz
RAM - 4GB of DDR2 @ 333MHz
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Storage: 750GB HDD @ 7,200rpm
PSU: Ultra LSP 650Pro (650w)
August 27, 2011 11:51:22 PM

Dust build up in the radiator? Reapply thermal compound?
m
l
August 28, 2011 12:06:05 AM

Open your case up, that thing is probably FILLED with dust. Clean it out and see how well it works.
m
l
Related resources
a c 172 U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 12:33:26 AM

Clean the card, replace the dried up stock thermal compound, and set the fan manually to 60-80% and leave it there then it will run cool. I have owned two of these and a 8800gt on the side so I know these cards very well. If you leave it as it is for any longer than it has you will have a useless brick instead.
m
l
August 28, 2011 2:36:29 AM

nforce4max said:
Clean the card, replace the dried up stock thermal compound, and set the fan manually to 60-80% and leave it there then it will run cool. I have owned two of these and a 8800gt on the side so I know these cards very well. If you leave it as it is for any longer than it has you will have a useless brick instead.

Re-applied thermal compound... did not help one bit. I have the fan running at 100% and it's at 65C. Any other ideas?
m
l
August 28, 2011 2:37:20 AM

blarr said:
Open your case up, that thing is probably FILLED with dust. Clean it out and see how well it works.

The case is almost completely dust-free, I've cleaned it a week ago, and I just re-cleaned it earlier today.
m
l
August 28, 2011 7:57:03 AM

Open your case when fans running high and feel the heat sink. Is it making proper contact with card?
m
l
August 28, 2011 8:05:57 AM

STOPOT said:
Open your case when fans running high and feel the heat sink. Is it making proper contact with card?

How can you tell if it's "proper contact"? I put the heatsink back on, I smeared them together as hard as I could, then screwed it in all the way as tight as I could.
m
l
August 28, 2011 8:13:44 AM

I guess touching it, if the video card has high temps but the heat sink doesn't feel that hot, it might mean bad transfer. Another thing could be case airflow. Is there good airflow in case? No recycled air in case, all warm air gets pushed out?
m
l
August 28, 2011 8:30:04 AM

STOPOT said:
I guess touching it, if the video card has high temps but the heat sink doesn't feel that hot, it might mean bad transfer. Another thing could be case airflow. Is there good airflow in case? No recycled air in case, all warm air gets pushed out?

Yes, it's hot to the touch.
Airflow? Here's my exact setup:

Mid tower case
120mm Rear Case Fan (Pushing air OUT)
120mm Side Case Fan (Pushing air IN, close to GPU)
120mm Front Case Fan (Pushing air IN, close to GPU)

GPU Fan
CPU Fan
PSU has independent cooling

GPU is a single-slot, which pushes air back out into the case after using it

I can't really TELL if I have recycled air... what would you say based on the setup? Everything's pretty much running at 100%. My problem is that I have 3 fans, wouldn't that sorta lead to uneven cooling, or?
m
l
August 28, 2011 8:52:55 AM

How about cabling? Is there good cable management that they don't block fans?
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 3:15:22 PM

Most 9800gt often came with very poor quality coolers compared to the 8800gt so I suggest that you go ahead and buy an after market cooler.
m
l
August 28, 2011 3:44:02 PM

How's the GPU fan? Check that it's free spinning and fully operational.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 3:47:58 PM

c3h8 said:
How's the GPU fan? Check that it's free spinning and fully operational.

Don't even have to look at it, just load up MSI afterburner and turn the fan speed to 100%. It is ratty enough to hear it from a distance. I hate those kinds of fans. Single slot and annoying.
m
l
August 28, 2011 4:59:34 PM

STOPOT said:
How about cabling? Is there good cable management that they don't block fans?

There is very good cable management.
m
l
August 28, 2011 5:12:10 PM

nforce4max said:
Most 9800gt often came with very poor quality coolers compared to the 8800gt so I suggest that you go ahead and buy an after market cooler.

Meh... I don't know. I feel like I should just completely purchase a new video card altogether, this one probably doesn't even have much life on it. My games usually freeze up here-and-there, most likely cause of the high temps... but my motherboard's SATA cables are directly like RIGHT where the PCI-E port is, so if I get a dual-slot GPU, I'd be lucky to get both my CD drive and my hard drive plugged in, since it blocks out too much space (I had an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX before, and that's what happened. I usually had to keep my CD drive unplugged to have the thing fit). I had to sell the GTX because it had a faulty fan, it rattled. Lol, I also had to get a new PSU because the other one's fan ALSO rattled. Hey, and the same thing happened to my CPU fan! So now I'm gonna have to fix my graphics card for the SECOND time? C'mon, I don't even have a job, this is VERY difficult to do... I need to get a new motherboard, lol, this ECS one is pissing me off. There goes a total of another $150, plus, I somehow need to get an OS, because my computer didn't even come with the disc.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 6:00:38 PM

Just pirate windows and save your self the trouble. Modern operating systems are hardly even worth the cost of the disk that it comes on let alone the box. As for ecs well yuck :s I hate that brand! You could try to go for a single slot gts 450 but it will run hot no matter what and finding a second hand 9800gt that is in good shape requires having an ebay account now days so you are in a bind.
m
l
August 28, 2011 6:13:05 PM

nforce4max said:
Just pirate windows and save your self the trouble. Modern operating systems are hardly even worth the cost of the disk that it comes on let alone the box. As for ecs well yuck :s I hate that brand! You could try to go for a single slot gts 450 but it will run hot no matter what and finding a second hand 9800gt that is in good shape requires having an ebay account now days so you are in a bind.

I DID pirate Windows 7, but I don't know if it will even work. It's a gamble for me just to buy a motherboard and hope that this disc even works. I do have an eBay account, as well.

Here's what I'll do, hopefully: I'll sell the 9800 GT. Then, I'll buy a new dual-slot graphics card (under about $90 or so), then, if I somehow find out that this Windows 7 disc works, I'll buy a new motherboard, and SOMEHOW try to sell this ECS board...

It's my motherboard that keeps stopping me dead in my tracks. I can't exactly get a dual-slot card for it, and if I simply just buy a new single-slot, it will still have some heat problem. I want to make an UPGRADE, not just a replacement.

So I need to make sure that this Windows 7 disc works, I burned it to the DVD, and it came with this crack thing but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to save the crack thing onto a USB, right?
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 7:30:42 PM

I don't like win 7 but it should already be easy to install like any thing else and then you will need the crack so activation doesn't annoy you and the 2 hour shut down ie the fake blue screen.
m
l
August 28, 2011 7:41:28 PM

nforce4max said:
I don't like win 7 but it should already be easy to install like any thing else and then you will need the crack so activation doesn't annoy you and the 2 hour shut down ie the fake blue screen.

2 hour shut down? Fake blue screen? Uh... what is this?
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 8:54:21 PM

Microsoft added a feature to help stop people from using unactivated copies of win7. I personally say that win7 isn't worth it if you are used to using xp and vista. Win7 also has a few things that seam to be missing or not as great as they were in older versions. Vista is almost idiot proof but no DX11 if not activated.
m
l
August 28, 2011 9:02:33 PM

nforce4max said:
Microsoft added a feature to help stop people from using unactivated copies of win7. I personally say that win7 isn't worth it if you are used to using xp and vista. Win7 also has a few things that seam to be missing or not as great as they were in older versions. Vista is almost idiot proof but no DX11 if not activated.

I'm used to Windows 7.

What about the fake blue screen, it will pop up one day?
m
l
August 28, 2011 9:27:19 PM

nforce4max said:

Another question, what manufacturer of the NVIDIA 9800 GT is this?

http://images.nvidia.com/products/geforce_9800_gt/GeFor...

That's the card I have, and that's exactly how it looks. I can't seem to find what company makes it. It seems to be like the "original" look on NVIDIA's website, but I don't know who makes it, do you know?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 10:27:55 PM

FYI, this forum does not support piracy.
m
l
August 28, 2011 11:02:21 PM

Don't write the word pirate or piracy, just use arrggg
m
l
August 28, 2011 11:02:35 PM

Windows 7 arrgg
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2011 9:07:45 AM

Did you say you have a 1 slot 9800 overclocked graphics card? Well there is your problem: 1 slot gpus are by definition running very hot, if you add an overclock: very hot.
I would suggest you get a new card rather than buy aftermarket cooling, i just dont think its worth it.
m
l
!