Need help with Canon 20d setup

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 16, 2005 12:21:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

When I connect the camera to the USB cable and try to upload the
photos, I get a popup that states:

********************
CameraWindow
The camera is busy and cannot respond. If the LCD monitor of the
camera turned on, turn it off. Click Retry to try again or click
Cancel to disconnect the camera.
**********************

The LCD was not on. I checked that the camera communications was
set to normal.

I also had a Canon 10d, I uninstalled the 10d software in case that was the
problem. That was no help.

I uninstalled the 20d software and reinstalled it, in case there
was a problem with the install.

I also went to the Canon web site to make sure I had the most
recent software. I did have the most recent version.

No mater what I do, I get the same message and I can not upload
the software.

I did not have this problem with the 10D.

I have contacted Canon's Tech support and they were of no help.

Can anyone help me??

Nath Kaplan

More about : canon 20d setup

April 16, 2005 12:21:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On my 20D I use the PTP Communication Mode. Page 116 in the book among
others. Windows XP handles it all.

Bob AZ
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 1:50:30 AM

nk <nbkaplan@optonline.net> writes:

> Can anyone help me??

I've always found Canon's software for uploading to the computer very
irritating. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. I can't fix your
spedific problem, but I offer a workaround with other benefits. I
bought one of these a long time ago and never looked back:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5405876&t...

Just plug it into a USB port, pop in the card and it'll appear
magically as a disk drive on your computer.

I had to get one because my G2 transfers at usb1.1 speeds and boy that
got old quick. This drive gives you USB 2.0 speeds.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

"nk" <nbkaplan@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:p UY7e.1737$sG3.609@fe09.lga...

> When I connect the camera to the USB cable and try to upload the
> photos, I get a popup that states:
>
> ********************
> CameraWindow
> The camera is busy and cannot respond. If the LCD monitor of the
> camera turned on, turn it off. Click Retry to try again or click
> Cancel to disconnect the camera.
> **********************
>
> The LCD was not on. I checked that the camera communications was
> set to normal.
>
> I also had a Canon 10d, I uninstalled the 10d software in case that was
> the problem. That was no help.
>
> I uninstalled the 20d software and reinstalled it, in case there
> was a problem with the install.
>
> I also went to the Canon web site to make sure I had the most
> recent software. I did have the most recent version.
>
> No mater what I do, I get the same message and I can not upload
> the software.
>
> I did not have this problem with the 10D.

Nath,

Are you using Windows XP? Have you done a *full* uninstall of the 10D WIA
driver? I don't mean just the software package, but rather the *driver*?
Canon gives directions for uninstalling the 10D WIA driver on their web
site. It was a pop-up window so the web address probably won't work. But I
got to the instructions as follows:

Go to Download Library for the 10D
Choose Drivers / Software
Choose Frequently Asked Questions
Choose Search by Keyword
Enter "uninstall driver" (needless to say, no quotes, of course)
Scroll down to the section "The USB TWAIN/WIA driver uninstallation
procedures"
Choose "How to uninstall the WIA driver on Windows XP" -- if you have XP

You may have to do the same thing for the 20D -- maybe even before doing the
10D uninstall procedure?

Renee

P.S. You may have already tried this, and I don't own a 10D or 20D. So I
really have no good reason to think I could help you. But this worked for
someone else who had an upload problem. So maybe you'll be lucky with it,
too.
April 16, 2005 6:03:42 AM

"Ace" <rwatson767@aol.com> wrote in message
> On my 20D I use the PTP Communication Mode. Page 116 in the book among
> others. Windows XP handles it all.
>
> Bob AZ

Wow! That doesn't even sound like English to me. I can see I clearly stepped
out of my league!

LOL

Do you think that's what his problem is?

Renee
!