New MoBo and processor Compatibility question.

aquahero

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
I'm looking at getting a new Motherboard/processor and...

I was first wondering if:
The RAM from my old CPU((ZOTAC NF610I-E-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7050 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard) Intel Pentium dual core 2.60 GHz))
would work in the new motherboard/processor i'm looking at(Intel® - Core™ i5-3570K Processor and GIGABYTE ATX Motherboard 2666MHz (Socket 1155)( model: I53570K-Z77X3-BNDL))

Also, I was wondering if:
The new Motherboard/processor would even fit in a case that came with the original motherboard. (case is about 12" long and 12" high.)

Solution
Your old board uses DDR 2 240 pin and the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K uses DDR 3 240 Pin. So while DDR 2 and DDR 3 are both the same size the pin out (the notch on the memory) is in a different spot so you won't be able to use it on the new board.

The board that you have listed for your old board is an ATX board which is around 12.5" x 9.5". ATX is the standard size for many performance boards today and the information that you have on the new board is that it is ATX too.
The answer to question 1 is no. The RAM for your old motherboard is DDR2, while the new one would use DDR3. They are completely incompatible. Fortunately for you DDR3 RAM is very inexpensive, and you can get a 4 or 8gb kit for under $50.

Question 2 is a little harder, since I don't know exactly what case it is, but more than likely no. there are 2 reasons.

1. Old MB was MicroATX form factor, which is designed for very small spaces / cases. The MB you are looking at is Full ATX.
2. Most cases that come with computers are not designed to be compatible with new MB's.

If your case is oem by hp, dell, etc. stick with a micro atx motherboard with a B75 chipset, which will work with ivy bridge cpus without a bios flash, and comes with usb 3.0 and sata III ports at no extra charge. They run about $70 in the usa.

Your old board uses DDR 2 240 pin and the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K uses DDR 3 240 Pin. So while DDR 2 and DDR 3 are both the same size the pin out (the notch on the memory) is in a different spot so you won't be able to use it on the new board.

The board that you have listed for your old board is an ATX board which is around 12.5" x 9.5". ATX is the standard size for many performance boards today and the information that you have on the new board is that it is ATX too.

Solution

aquahero

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

What about(Intel - Core™ i3-2120 Processor & Micro ATX Motherboard 1333/1066MHz (Socket 1155) rather than the i5? is that DDR3 as well and will that be more likely to fit?

The board he had listed for his old board is NOT ATX, it is MicroATX which I mentioned in my first post. Which means he probably will not be able to use it in the same case...

http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-nforce-610i-itx-nf610i-e-e.html