Help me please. Just built a pc - big problems

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Ok...*sigh*

I just spent all night building a pc. My very first build, but I wanted to save money and have pretty good performance. I got an asus p8z68-v pro motherboard, an i5 2500k cpu 3.2ghz, 8gb ddr3, a 640 watt psu, sapphire radeon hd6970 2gb card, a 1tb hdd, a cooler master elite 430 case, and a few other things - im awfully tired now.

I put it all together, was hard to do. If i had it to do over - no way.

Got it booted, cpu going, graphics card fan going, everything lit up - i got it. I hooked it up to my monitor, installed 7 home prem. And then I hit a snag....

No. Internet.

Nothing.

Called the provider, tried to hook me up - I have no IP address. They tried something different - I had to go to my control panel blah blah - I have no NETWORK CARD. What? I thought it was built in to the mb!

Then, just before I unplugged everything, I ran the windows experience index, and here are the results...

Processor 7.5
ram 7.7
graphics 1
gaming graphics 1
primary hd 5.9

I think you see what turned my head, lol.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Solution
You did well, but always double check your connections. I believe someone in the thread told you to make sure you were not plugged into onboard graphics. Just something to look at next time. Overall though, job well done!

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Let me add that when I plugged the pci cables into the card, I had two 6 pin cables, each having a seperate 2 pin option. I left the 2 pin option out. I have two empty spaces on my cards pci port.

Don't know if that matters. Never had to do it myself in the past, always had someone else do it for me.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
alright, so you're power cables are all plugged in, and the gpu is snuggly installed in the pci-e slot? if this is so, try another pci-e slot, as it could be bad. As far as the internet, mobo's usually dont have "wireless" cards, you have to hard connect with an ethernet cable. wireless cards are seperate installs for either a USB or pci-e slot. Try these out and let me know what you get.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Ok.

I am an idjit.

I didn't put the darn motherboard DVD driver installer in...I had no lan driver. *gunshot*

I am online now. I am currently running the amd radeon DVD through, see where that goes.

I will keep you posted very soon.

Thanks.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Oh, And I was/am hooked up with ethernet, I just didn't have my lan driver installed from the dvd included with board.

*shakes head*

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Ok. Here is where I am so far.

Ran the graphics card dvd through, no change.

It is now a 5.9 and 4.9 on the graphics rating, but that is because I upgraded the chipset on the mb.

Am I suppose to disable the integrated graphics or something?

I plugged the additional 2 pin pci in, no difference.

I now have 8 pin and 6 pin in, just like I need.

I REALLY don't want it to be the pci e slot, I was planning to crossfire in like...2 days.

And I really don't want to knock another hole in the back of my case and have to wrestle those ungodly wires again.

If it tells you anything, running the catalyst dvd, it hit errors and was unable to finish.

Something about detecting some other hardware/device/ something.

Oh well, guess you have money to spend. the first thing after getting connected to the net would have been to go to Windows Update. Probably would have cured your problems........ unless you forgot to install the other drivers from the disc that would have helped your machine run right. Chalk one up for experience or lack there of.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Ok. So here is what it was...

The guy looked everything over, and said it was built correctly.

Then he plugged it up, ran the same dvd I ran, but this time it went through and my 6970 is there all the way.

Know what he did different?

Plugged the hdmi in the video card and into the monitor.

I had the vga hooked into the onboard graphics.

After complimenting me on how well I handled my first build, 5 minutes later I got humbled mighty fast.

I feel/felt stupid.

Thanks everyone for helping. I have internet, graphics, everything.

Both graphics index read 7.9. All drivers up to date.

Thanks.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Now I know I sound retarted to miss something that obvious. But consider this...

While I have been a gamer for years, I have never had to worry about anything even remotely hardware related.

This was my very first build. Ever.

I thought that the graphics card was in. It WAS in, and the pc WAS hooked to the monitor, with proper power supply.

I think you could see my mistake considering this is my first build and all I ever used before was vga.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
You did well, but always double check your connections. I believe someone in the thread told you to make sure you were not plugged into onboard graphics. Just something to look at next time. Overall though, job well done!

Solution

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Thanks a lot. You are right, they did say that. But to be honest, it didn't really sink in. I had "DISABLE the onboard graphics" on the brain. I guess I did not see the relevance of where it was hooked in as long as everything was connected and hooked in.

But yeah, I did well. Ran me a little over 1100 (not counting the new monitor, and death adder mouse and keyboard). The 6970 they matched newegg and gave me the competitor discount, so I got it for about 350.00. Wanted the gtx 580, but didn't have enough money for it. It took all I had just to get what I got. I will be eating ramen noodles till' payday.

I also think I did well on my cpu. I got it for 200.00 - the i5 2500k. Happy there.

You know, this was hard. I was up from 10pm to 6pm putting it together, and then I hit those snags you know about. But, it is done and I am proud of it. It purrs like a kitten.

Thanks for everything, man. I appreciate it, I mean it.

Hehe, this made me chuckle :)

relax man, we all have what my Gf calls blonde moments, and part of building your pc is tweaking and solving little issues, I built one for her birthday last year, sweated on parts arriving in time/working etc, it was the day before and I finally went to power it up, nothing, squat, zilch zip nada zero,
how gutted do you feel at that?
ripped it apeices checked everything on my pc
gfx good, memory good cabling perfect, hdds all working fine,
/razorblades at the ready?
Her Psu switch works the opposite way to mine, I put it in the 'right' position without looking, which ofc meant that I'd switched it off,
rectified, hmm Pc works as it should
/razorblades back in bathroom heheh

We all have problems/disasters on builds, its part of the fun/fury hehe
glad you got sorted and learned something without it being an expensive error :)
Moto

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Thanks man.

Yeah, it is kind of a sick in the stomach, "nothing ever works out right for me" moment; only to find out later that I was making a real boneheaded mistake. But it is better to feel a little embarrased and feel the relief of your new rig working out right, then for the error to not be yours and it be faulty hardware - or worse, you fried it.

I am quite relieved. Thanks.

Just in time for battlefield 3 :)

Maybe I will finally be able to run vanilla crysis now - at least at a modest resolution with limited aa, lol.

Peace.