Sign in with
Your question

Two DVI Monitors to One Video Card With Only One DVI Port?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 28, 2011 12:26:21 AM

I have an nvidia GT440 card in my computer, with a Dell 2405FPW plugged into the DVI port. Recently, our old 2005FPW found itself out of use, so I was going to use it as a 2nd monitor; however, the card has only one DVI-out in addition to one HDMI and one Displayport (these Dell monitors are too old for HDMI or Displayport). My questions:
  • Will a simple HDMI- or Displayport-to-DVI adapter allow connection to the 2nd monitor? [asking a guy at Radio Shack, he said there would be significant reduction in quality; but I think he thought I meant to connect, say, a cable box to a plasma TV or some such; so if he knew his stuff, it wasn't clear to me.]
  • If so, would either be a superior option than the other?
  • Also, if so, would there be any difference in quality between either converted connection and the straightforward DVI-to-DVI connection?
    Thanks in advance!
    a c 218 U Graphics card
    a b C Monitor
    August 28, 2011 2:18:18 AM

Both the HDMI and DP adapters will work and will provide a good digital connection to the second monitor. The guy at RS knows little (or nothing) on this subject.
    m
    l
    a c 214 U Graphics card
    a b C Monitor
    August 28, 2011 2:27:30 AM

Yes a simple HDMI or Display port to DVI adapter will surfice.

HDMI and Displayport's are a branch from DVI it just includes an Audio signal.The quality will be the same for either the Display Port or the HDMI since it's being converted to a DVI signal.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    August 28, 2011 5:05:06 AM

Thanks all, kinda figured that'd be the case (to both replies), but I've been kinda out of the loop in the hardware dept the last several years.
    m
    l
    a c 218 U Graphics card
    a b C Monitor
    August 28, 2011 8:10:34 PM

awtaranto said:
    Thanks all, kinda figured that'd be the case (to both replies), but I've been kinda out of the loop in the hardware dept the last several years.

You are welcome. Good luck and have fun!!!
    m
    l
    !