Sign in with
Your question

New build doesn't POST

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2011 1:58:44 PM

Hello, I'm having major problems with a new built pc.

- Intel i7 2600k (stock cooler)
- Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4)
- Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR3
- Western Digital 500GB

- Corsair CX500 Watt PSU (RMAed once already, result: new PSU)

and 2 motherboards that are both new and both don't work

- ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
- Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 (RMAed once already, result: same board, updated bios)

The problem is that when I connect all the components together and press the power button nothing happens. The fans on the CPU, PSU and GPU spin for a second and then nothing. This happens with both motherboards so its unlikely they are the problem.

I have a Coolmax PSU tester (http://www.coolmaxusa.com/productDetailsPower.asp?item=...) and when testing the Corsair PSU all displays show LL which supposedly means that there is not enough voltage. However, I've already RMAed this PSU once and they sent me a completely new one.

I've tried putting the pc together outside and inside the case and always wear a static strap and the results are alwyas the same

Is it the power supply again or something else? Is 500 Watts enough?

Any help or input is appreciated as this has been bugging me for a month already!

More about : build post

a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2011 2:02:55 PM

Look at getting an Antec 750W Earthwatt psu. Its roughly $55 on newegg right now, and will give you enough juice. could just be a bad psu, but why send it back. there is obviously something wrong with that model if you have sent it back already.
m
l
October 26, 2011 2:53:14 PM

casualbuilder said:
Look at getting an Antec 750W Earthwatt psu. Its roughly $55 on newegg right now, and will give you enough juice. could just be a bad psu, but why send it back. there is obviously something wrong with that model if you have sent it back already.

Thank you for your reply, I was just on newegg searching for new PSUs and saw this one as well :) 

So you think its probably the PSU? Could it be anything else, like the CPU or RAM? or maybe I'm doing something wrong with the PSU that breaks it.

For testing purposes I only plug in the 24pin and the 8pin connectors, the RAM (both sticks), the CPU, the video card, power switch and nothing else. That should get me to at least the POST/BIOS screen, right?

I'll connect the rest of the components when I get to POST. I also tried adding the HDD but shouldn't it at least POST even without it?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2011 3:08:33 PM

definately the PSU.
m
l
October 26, 2011 3:39:11 PM

casualbuilder said:
definately the PSU.

Thank you again for your quick answer. I'll order a new PSU today and update on what happens when it comes in
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2011 3:44:12 PM

If you want, i can list you a bunch of different psu's so you can choose, just give me a budget.
m
l
October 26, 2011 4:04:43 PM

casualbuilder said:
If you want, i can list you a bunch of different psu's so you can choose, just give me a budget.

That would be great! My budget is $100-$120 and I would like to buy it on newegg because they have very fast shipping which I really need
m
l
October 28, 2011 8:40:41 PM

I went with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... power supply.

I put everything together just now and it seems to work fine but something is wrong with the CPU temperature. In the bios 'H/W Monitor' section I see that the CPU temp started at 68C at startup and climbed to 75C in just 3 minutes while I was searching for what kind of temperatures I should expect. I shut it down now just in case, until I get an answer. Is this temperature normal? Or is there something wrong again?

I have the Zalman Z9 Plus case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... which has 4 fans all working and it has a 22C-23C temperature reading on its front. The CPU fan is also working full speed and I applied diamond thermal compound to the cpu before sitting the stock cooler.

Also, my HDD has a windows installation already, once the temperature is sorted, should I use it as is or do a clean install?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 31, 2011 9:36:18 AM

hummm...i would check to make sure everything is seated correctly. Download CoreTemp and view readings again. are you sure these temps are in C...or are they in F for some reason?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 31, 2011 9:40:27 AM

temps are a terrible concern though, but much higher than 78c-80c (if in fact it is reading C), then i would definately check to make sure the HSF is working appropriately. Maybe look into an aftermarket cooler like the Hyper 212+, EVO version if possible.
m
l
October 31, 2011 11:00:21 AM

The temperatures are in C and in the Bios screen they start at 50C and climb every second higher and higher. But I downloaded CoreTemp and HWMonitor and they both show the temperatures of cores at idle as: 30C to 35C. So the motherboard is getting a bad reading for some reason.

This shouldn't be a problem for me just as long the real temperatures stay in the 30s.

Thank you for your repies
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 31, 2011 11:52:47 AM

BIOS always runs close to max load, so temps will reflect close to LOAD temps, not idle. What are your temps running Prime95? These temps should not exceed 80c, but ideally hover around 70c if there is no OC.
m
l
October 31, 2011 12:00:15 PM

If your CPU temp is stil climbing even after entering the OS, the the problem would be the HSF. You might be want to check the HSF, check if any bolt or any of the push pin doesn't click as it should be.
m
l
November 4, 2011 9:12:09 AM

Quote:
BIOS always runs close to max load, so temps will reflect close to LOAD temps, not idle. What are your temps running Prime95? These temps should not exceed 80c, but ideally hover around 70c if there is no OC.

Well I didn't download prime95 until I started overclocking. I overclocked from 3.5 to 4.0 going in .1 increments and each time HWMonitor and CoreTemp showed ~90C at 100% load and it showed no errors for 2 hours.

I left it at 4.0 for now, until I get a better cooler

Quote:
If your CPU temp is stil climbing even after entering the OS, the the problem would be the HSF. You might be want to check the HSF, check if any bolt or any of the push pin doesn't click as it should be.

I've checked it, and everything is seated properly

Quote:
its a nice cpu, it deserves better than a stock cooler..i use the corsair H100 self contained liquid cooler, works great.
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Extr [...] B0051U7HMS

That's a nice gizmo :)  but unfortunately my budget ran out for this computer. Where do you put that big radiator/black box?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 4, 2011 9:32:28 AM

If you are running at 90c, then you are at risk of burning out your cpu. i strongly suggest downclocking and saving up for a Hyper 212+, or Hyper 212+ EVO. You will damage your cpu running that hot.
m
l
November 4, 2011 9:38:29 AM

Hi timur, i think i have the same issue as you, i took a video of what happens, can you tell me if it looks similar to your problem, as i think i too have a problem with my PSU (http://www.ebuyer.com/242930-startech-com-professional-...).

here is the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_6fW_U-98I

i have bought another PSU (http://www.ebuyer.com/191851-cit-850w-modular-psu-80-du...)

Another thing as well i noticed is that we both use an i7 2600k with a 500-530W PSU, perhaps there is a correlation here?
m
l
November 4, 2011 10:19:43 AM

casualbuilder said:
If you are running at 90c, then you are at risk of burning out your cpu. i strongly suggest downclocking and saving up for a Hyper 212+, or Hyper 212+ EVO. You will damage your cpu running that hot.

I'm going to see what the temps are when not overclocked and rendering videos because now that I tried to render an hd video the load was 60-70% and the temps were still at 90C.

So, 70-80C when not overclocked and at 100%? What if there is OC like in mine? Shouldn't the temperatures rise?

mad_mike333 said:
Hi timur, i think i have the same issue as you, i took a video of what happens, can you tell me if it looks similar to your problem, as i think i too have a problem with my PSU (http://www.ebuyer.com/242930-startech-com-professional-...).

here is the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_6fW_U-98I

i have bought another PSU (http://www.ebuyer.com/191851-cit-850w-modular-psu-80-du...)

Another thing as well i noticed is that we both use an i7 2600k with a 500-530W PSU, perhaps there is a correlation here?

Yes that's exactly what happened to me, nothing anywhere, except that the fans on CPU cooler, Video Card and PSU spun for like a second. And afterwards, I had to press the switch on the PSU to 'OFF' and then 'ON' to able to try again.

Did you try the 850W PSU yet? That solved all my problems
m
l
November 4, 2011 10:58:05 AM

timur said:
I'm going to see what the temps are when not overclocked and rendering videos because now that I tried to render an hd video the load was 60-70% and the temps were still at 90C.

So, 70-80C when not overclocked and at 100%? What if there is OC like in mine? Shouldn't the temperatures rise?

Yes that's exactly what happened to me, nothing anywhere, except that the fans on CPU cooler, Video Card and PSU spun for like a second. And afterwards, I had to press the switch on the PSU to 'OFF' and then 'ON' to able to try again.

Did you try the 850W PSU yet? That solved all my problems

Phew that is such a relief, the new PSU i orderd hasnt arrived yet but when it does, i will install it and see if that solved the problem. I too had to press the PSU switch 'off' and 'on' to get a responce.

I just hope the PSU hasnt damaged any other components :S
m
l
November 5, 2011 3:14:43 PM

Hey timur what case do you have?
m
l
November 11, 2011 11:09:19 PM

mad_mike333 said:
Hey timur what case do you have?

I have the Zalman Z9 Plus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think its a pretty good case considering its price. It's not that big though as I found out with all my wires and stuff. I'm currently keeping a bunch of wires below the HDD where additional HDDs are supposed to go.

Did your new power supply fix your problems?
m
l
November 12, 2011 8:02:45 AM

I did fix my problem, my old PSU had a wire with 3 molex connectors AND a 4 pin mobo connector. when i connected my fans via molex, i also plugged in the 4 pin connector into the motherboard system fan slot.

As this is my first time building a computer from scratch i assumed the 4 pin connector was to be plugged into the motherboard system fan slot.

when i took the 4 pin connector out, the system successfully booted. So it turned out it wasnt a PSU problem at all, just a connection problem :) 

I did replace the old PSU with the newer one anyway, so im just happy everything worked out for me :) 
m
l
!