Sign in with
Your question

Quiet budget mid-tower case

Last response: in Components
January 26, 2012 11:45:03 PM

I'm looking for a solid well built budget ATX case that is QUIET. Mini- to Mid-tower... not too huge. I'm not too picky with the looks of the thing, it will sit under a desk in my home office. But all other things being equal I'd lean toward simple/subdued styling.

Budget? The lower the better for cost, but I am willing to spend up for really good build quality. I want something that will last, is easy to build in and upgrade in over the years.

And while it doesn't need to be whisper quiet, I really do want something on the low-end of the noise spectrum.

Thermal performance is probably not too important. I'll be building a modest mid-range workstation... probably a core i5-2500k, with stock cooling, no OC'ing, initially I'll use the i5's integraded graphics. Eventually I'll upgrade to a dedicated graphics card (for some CAD work and HD movies (watching and transcoding blurays), and light gaming) again with stock cooling and no OC'ing. I don't expect to be pushing thermal limits, but this won't be an ION or Fusion build either... :) 

So case opinions? My first stab is the Bitfenix Outlaw. Thanks for any and all other suggestions...
a c 111 ) Power supply
January 27, 2012 12:46:43 AM

what is your budget? Here are a few cases....Fractal Design Define R3, Cooler Master Silencio, Antec Sonata, Antec p series.
January 27, 2012 1:35:03 AM

NZXT H2 H2-001-BK Black Steel / Plastic Classic Silent ATX Mid Tower Chassis

I'm in the market for a quiet(er) case right now too. I've been scowering the net and there are only a handful of quiet mid tower cases while there are hundreds of gaming cases. The one listed above is in the running along with one of the Antec ones. There is a review of this model done well by some Canadians on YouTube.
Related resources
January 27, 2012 2:00:14 AM

That Bitfenix Outlaw looks nice but personally if I were to buy a new quiet case right now it would be the Fractal Design Define R3.

Anandtech did a review on it and it was their second quietest case tested whilst still being cool.

Also... the Outlaw is only USB 2.0 where the R3 is 3.0. I don't know if that matters to you.
January 27, 2012 3:53:34 AM

adamsteenfeldt said:
That Bitfenix Outlaw looks nice but personally if I were to buy a new quiet case right now it would be the Fractal Design Define R3.

Anandtech did a review on it and it was their second quietest case tested whilst still being cool.

Also... the Outlaw is only USB 2.0 where the R3 is 3.0. I don't know if that matters to you.

OOOH... good catch. I do want USB3.0. Not sure how a case can dictate that though? Isn't the USB spec determined by the motherboard?
January 27, 2012 4:04:24 AM

The sockets are different and so you will need a motherboard with USB 3.0 and also a case with USB 3.0.

You could still use the USB 3.0 on the back, the ones on the motherboard themselves though (motherboard dependant). It just means that if you have a flash drive that is USB 3.0 then you would have to reach around the back of your computer everytime to plug it in.
January 28, 2012 10:08:35 AM

Good thinking. That Outlaw is a very nice looking case!
January 28, 2012 8:33:29 PM

adamsteenfeldt said:
Good thinking. That Outlaw is a very nice looking case!
Yeah, I like the looks, and the Anandtech review really sold me on it. I won't be OC'ing so for running stock it was one of the quietest cases they've reviewed, and they didn't have many complaints about building in it. And heck, it was $55 (plus shipping & tax, so really closer to $70, plus $12 for the USB3.0 bracket... oh well). I'd have spent over $100 on the base price of a case if I felt it was worth it, but couldn't find any reviews of any cases that made me think they were worth $50 more than the Outlaw. We'll see...
January 30, 2012 8:06:27 PM

i have the HU001 and love it. saying that i got it on a discount. its fully watercoolable with 2 radiators too. despite what people say- ive done it!!!!
!