CPU cooler noise

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cooling
  • Games
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
January 27, 2012 12:05:24 AM

I have what may be two separate issues, but I'm pretty confident they're related.

My CPU cooler makes an irritating buzzing noise when performing taxing tasks such as games (otherwise it's fine). This is accompanied by intermittent freezing during games. The freezing (about 10-20 seconds) seems to happen at the same time as the noise kicks up.

So it seems obvious, right? Replace the CPU cooler. The only thing keeping me from ordering one right now is this: I'm not having any heat issues whatsoever. Does this make any sense to anyone? Or am I just delusional, and my freezing issue can't possibly be the CPU cooler?

More about : cpu cooler noise

a c 158 à CPUs
January 27, 2012 12:21:10 AM

set the cpu cooler to high in the bios and see if its stops the freezing you're experiencing. Let us know.
m
l
January 27, 2012 6:14:08 PM

Options in the BIOS are only "ignored" or the speed at which it's going of around 2200 rpm.

There are also modes such as "silent, performance or optimal".

I tried all of them, none of it made a difference.
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2012 9:34:58 PM

Ok, big update. Turns out it wasn't coming from the CPU fan, but from the power supply. Took some canned air to the vents hoping it just needed to be cleaned up... but not the case.

Not many options here I guess. Anybody have anything I can try before I order a new one?
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
January 27, 2012 10:39:49 PM

Sounds like the psu is overloaded and can't handle power requirements.
Very little to go on in this post btw.
List your system specs please.
Cpu,gpu,and psu.
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
January 28, 2012 1:43:08 AM

Intermittent freezing could be caused by a bad hdd too.
You should check that out with an app from Seagate or WDC = they're free from their websites
Personally i'd think about replacing that psu with a modern unit and see if that solves your issues.
A sub-par psu leads to all kinds of issues eventually.
Your psu is an old inefficient design with a weak 12v rail.
m
l
!