Can I put Radeon HD 6970 2gb to a G31 Motherboard?

Help me guys, I am planning to upgrade my hardware, actually to replace all my current hardware. But as of now I can only afford to buy is GPU. So now my question is. "Can a G31 Motherboard manage to handle the Radeon HD 6970"? :sol:


Current setup: mb Asus p5kpl-am se, cpu Intel core 2 quad q8400, gpu Gforce 9500gt 1gb, memory 2x2gb, psu Cougar cmx 700w, cooler Cooler Master V6gt, case Thermaltake Level 10gt.

Upgrade to: mb Asus Sabertooth 990fx, cpu AMD Bulldozer FX-8170, gpu Radeon HD 6970 2gb, memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance. :bounce:

:hello: Need help guys.
6 answers Last reply
More about radeon 6970 motherboard
  1. yeah.. the PCI 16x express slot should be able to hand it just fine. Keep in mind with great video card comes great power responsibility.. i.e.. make sure you PSU can handle it :)
  2. in which i'm blind and you posted your PSU.. yeah it will work fine :)
  3. samboy09 said:
    Help me guys, I am planning to upgrade my hardware, actually to replace all my current hardware. But as of now I can only afford to buy is GPU. So now my question is. "Can a G31 Motherboard manage to handle the Radeon HD 6970"? :sol:


    Current setup: mb Asus p5kpl-am se, cpu Intel core 2 quad q8400, gpu Gforce 9500gt 1gb, memory 2x2gb, psu Cougar cmx 700w, cooler Cooler Master V6gt, case Thermaltake Level 10gt.

    Upgrade to: mb Asus Sabertooth 990fx, cpu AMD Bulldozer FX-8170, gpu Radeon HD 6970 2gb, memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance. :bounce:

    :hello: Need help guys.



    yes you can. Ensure your PSU is a good quality one that brand is unknown to me.......
  4. When are you planning to purchase the system? It's usually best to purchase all the components at once. If you're buying the system in a couple of months there might be new GPUs out already, and you're stuck with the one you bought too early. For example.
  5. spp85 said:
    yes you can. Ensure your PSU is a good quality one that brand is unknown to me.......



    Thanks for your answer pal... My PSU is HEC Cougar 700w 80+ bronze. Here is the link http://www.cougar-world.de/en/products/power-supply/cougar-cmx.html
  6. FinneousPJ said:
    When are you planning to purchase the system? It's usually best to purchase all the components at once. If you're buying the system in a couple of months there might be new GPUs out already, and you're stuck with the one you bought too early. For example.


    I decided to buy all of those when the AMD Bulldozer FX-8170 comes out. I just can't wait to enhance my current setup that is why I am thinking to buy the GPU first. BTW thanks for the response.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Radeon Systems