Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Appropiate PSU for Graphics card question.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 28, 2011 6:28:05 AM

Hi everyone, I'm building a budget gaming system, so far i've decided on a Intel i3 2100 and cheap MB and stuff, anyway, for the video card i'm getting a Radeon 5770 because of my low budget, however this budget includes a Thermaltake 675w, after some research i think that this PSU is overkill for this card, i could get a Thermaltake 430w for less than half the price, can 430w hold a 5770? in fact after reading many budget builds i've seen 380w PSU's paired with 6850's.

So if the Thermaltake 430w can hold the 5770 i would save a lot of money, and if it can power the 6850 with no issues i could get that card or even better, i just don't know how reliable are Thermaltake PSU's and i cant find any other brand in my country (i live in Latin America and PC components are very scarce and prices are a whole lot different than U.S).

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 6:43:32 AM

I personally haven't owned a Thermaltake PSU, but I've read quite a bit about PSU's and Thermaltake PSU's in general are okay. I prefer to use/buy Antec/PCP&C/Seasonic/Corsair PSU's due to quality and warranties offered. I have the most experience with Antec and Corsair PSU's. If you have any of those brands in your country, than I'd consider them. I personally have a Antec 380w PSU w/a AMD 6850 GPU, so it's possible that the 430w Thermaltake PSU could work, but you would probably be pushing things a bit with a 6850. The 5770 would easily work with that PSU, since it doesn't require any additional PCI-e power connectors (just runs off of the PCI-e slot on the mobo).
a c 173 U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 6:51:19 AM

no the 430w thermaltake will not power a 6850. the 430w thermaltake produces less power than a 380w antec earthwatts, as confusing as that may be, it is a fact. Stick with Antec, Corsair, Seasonic or XFX PSU's, dont waste your time/money with the rest.
Score
Related resources
August 28, 2011 7:00:39 AM

@lunyone
Some Radeon 5770s did come with 6 pin power connector (by the way I own one such MSI card). Anyway, I would suggest to ensure that the PSU do have 6 pin connector in case the card the OP is going purchase requires it.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 7:07:05 AM

Archean said:
@lunyone
Some Radeon 5770s did come with 6 pin power connector (by the way I own one such MSI card). Anyway, I would suggest to ensure that the PSU do have 6 pin connector in case the card the OP is going purchase requires it.

Crap!! I was thinking the 5670!!! Lol! The 5770 does require 1 x PCI-e power connector, so I stand corrected!!
Score
August 28, 2011 7:11:22 AM

Thnx for your comments, with this in mind, i couldn't find any low watt good brand PSU, only 700w and above, however i found an antec PSU 750w almost the same price than the thermaltake 675w, but couldn't find anything with a good brand with lower watts, so i guess this is a no brainer, i'l get the antec 750w but i get stuck with a 5770 until i can save for something better, of course the good side is that a get a killer PSU for future improvement, and yes... the 5770 requires a PCI-E power connector (at least the one i'm getting) Tnx for everything.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 7:15:51 AM

Well it's good that your getting an Antec PSU. The Thermaltake brand, from what I've read, is okay, but Antec is almost always a better buy. So I'm glad that you could afford the better PSU!!
Score
August 28, 2011 7:43:31 AM

Best answer selected by sandman21dan.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 1:48:05 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!