Sign in with
Your question

A New Gaming Build! Help please!

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2011 6:31:31 PM

Hello everyone! Me again!

I'm sorry to keep making loads of threads but you guys have been so helpful that i just want to ask another question.

Seeing as my old Dell XPS 420 is....RUBBISH, i was looking at building a new PC. I already have a new GFX card and a PSU, which i will list below, but basically, would this be a high end gaming system.

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Motherboard: Asus P8H67 R3 H67 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD AUdio ATX Motherboard
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V unbuffered
Disk Drive: SATA Blu-Ray drive from the Dell XPS 420
HDD: 500GB SATA Hard Drive from the Dell XPS 420
PSU: Antec True Power New 650w Modular PSU
Graphics Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 900MHz 1GB GDDR5

Would my power supply run all of this ok? Would i need to buy a different CPU cooler rather than the stock one? This for example - http://www.ebuyer.com/176157-arctic-cooling-freezer-7-p...

Please let me know guys, any help would be brilliant!

Thank again, all the way from the UK

Alex

More about : gaming build

October 26, 2011 6:35:40 PM

I keep doing this! Leaving information out and adding it on! Sorry!

What is all the fuss about SSD's?

And i have read about 3/Gbs and 6/Gbs SATA connections, if my HDD is a 3/Gbs (i don't know how to check) but my motherboard is a 6/Gbs, will it still work?

Thanks,

Alex
October 26, 2011 8:28:13 PM

SSDs provide a performance boost in disk access but slow down over time according to every review I have read. The plus is speed but the downfall is it has a limited number of writes before it wears out. I am looking at a new machine myself and am leaning towards a Seagate 500GB Hybrid drive that includes 4GB of SSD. It is supposed to provide somewhere around 80% of the benefit for a very modest increase in hard drive cost.
Related resources
October 26, 2011 8:34:15 PM

I'd just change the motherboard to this one:
http://www.ebuyer.com/267506-gigabyte-ga-z68a-d3h-b3-z6...
Similar pricing, better capabilities plus you can overclock and still use quick sync with a dedicated card. Since H67 doesn't allow overclocking or using quick sync with a dedicated card.

Also if you get an SSD I suggest the Crucial M4 64gb, pretty low price but it'll give you a pretty great increase in load times and boot times.
http://www.ebuyer.com/264770-crucial-64gb-m4-ssd-ct064m...
October 26, 2011 11:17:25 PM

Thanks for the replys guys :) 

I'll see how Battlefield 3 runs on my current specs, but if it's not very smooth then i will defnitely be looking to upgrade.

I currently have a Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 4MB Cache 1333FSB processor, with 4gb of ddr2 ram. I would definitely like to upgrade to 8gb DDR3 as i am now running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, so it should work properly. I need a new motherboard which will accept DDR3 Ram, and then all i need (want) is a Core i5 2500k, then it should be pretty good, right? I feel a 500gb is more than enough for the time being, and they're not too expensive to upgrade anyway when i want to do so.

Also, will the 650w PSU run everything i said i wanted ok? I hope so, seeing as i've only just bought it! :pt1cable: 

As for the motheboard aznshinobi, i don't know how to overclock at all, i'm very new to all this! But i'd love to learn.

Will i need water cooling to overclock, and do you need certain cases for this?

Thanks a lot,

Alex :) 
October 27, 2011 1:18:24 AM

The 650w is good, and should be good enough for Crossfire since it's a solid unit.

THe board will give you overclocking capability which the 2500K can, the indication being the K, if you didn't want to overclock drop down to the i5 2400. You don't need water cooling to overclock, in fact a cheapo cooler such as the Hyper 212+ would be fine. Just look at our Overclocking forum section and there will be stickies, or check out Youtube, always guides on there.
http://www.ebuyer.com/245376-cooler-master-hyper-212-pl...
October 27, 2011 11:53:55 AM

Hey guys, i'm back :) 

Is this motherboard overclockable? how do you know which ones are and which ones aren't?
http://www.ebuyer.com/269125-gigabyte-ga-z68a-d3-b3-soc...

How do you overclock? is it easy to do, and does it enhance the performance significantly?

The suggestion of going for the Core i5 2400 instead on the i5 2500k doesn't really bother me seeing as there is only about £17 difference, so i'll go for the more expensive one :p 

Thanks guys,

Alex
October 27, 2011 10:59:08 PM

Well the chipset tells you, Z68 and P67 can overclock. H67/H61 cannot overclock. Now generally you should just go with Z68 since it has more features. That board you picked is fine and will overclock alright.
October 27, 2011 11:08:02 PM

Nice build. Similar to mine. Definitely switch to Z68 or P67. I went with a Asrock Z68 board. My PSU has worked fine with my rig (6870 too). I have a XFX 65ow.
October 27, 2011 11:08:40 PM

Thanks man,

Also, i just installed the DX11 capability on Crysis 2, and it still runs pretty smooth, but definitely worse than when it was without it. I haven't installed the high res texture pack yet as i feel this will only decrease performance and take a while to download (approx. 1.5gb)

Is my GFX card more than capable of this and will performance increase if i change the processor and the ram? Because graphically, it looks stunning, but could do with a bit more juice :) 

Any other tips you guys want to offer, i'd be happy to take note :) 
Thanks

Alex
October 28, 2011 2:15:43 AM

CPU Wont make a HUGE difference, but it'll make a slight one if the game requires a pretty hefty CPU. Crysis 2 isn't really where you'll see the increase, more like Starcraft 2 or etc. You'd probably see increases in loading times, maybe and most likely at high settings as well. So the 2500K would be pretty sweet. Especially if you overclock.
October 28, 2011 9:48:23 AM

So is my graphics card not that good? I've only just bought it :( 

I'm going to see how BF3 runs on my current system, and if it doesn't run smooth then I'll upgrade :)  I just want a gaming system that I can max out games on! :) 

Is my graphics card good enough? Or can I SLi my card? It's an XFX Radeon HD 6870 1gb GDDR5

Thanks,

Alex
October 28, 2011 10:30:43 PM

Hey guys,

So i got hold of a copy of Battlefield 3 today, and it seems to run pretty well, even on ultra settings! It's so much laggy but could be smoother.

So i don't know whether it's worth upgrading just yet or to wait for a bit. I really do want to do it, but it's the cost and stuff.

What exactly will be the differences between the system i'd like to build, and the system i currently have?

Thanks guys,

Alex
October 28, 2011 10:37:09 PM

*It's not so much laggy but could be smoother. It's very playable :) *

Sorry, typo! It wouldn't let me edit the message.

Alex
October 28, 2011 10:43:06 PM

No your card is fine... I'm saying the CPU would make an improvement. As for SLI, that's Nvidia, you're talking about Crossfire, and yes you can but you really don't need ti.
October 28, 2011 11:41:10 PM

Thanks for the reply, but after just playing BF3 some more, it all of a sudden just started to become laggy. I was running on ultra settings fine, then it started acting up, and bits of sound were cutting out.

Is this to do with overheating or anything, because i think my card was running at about 70 degrees C, is that bad?

It was just after one certain checkpoint it started going laggy, and i don't think anything was running in the background :/ 

However, i am really looking forward to getting an i5 2500k (and all the other bits and bobs) and hoping it will be worth the money :D 

Thanks,

Alex

I think it will be best if i upgrade everything
October 29, 2011 12:05:03 AM

Ah, problem.

Just playing BF3, the game decides to freeze, screen goes blank and then i switch to desktop, can't get back on to the game. I think it might be overheating because i only have stock cooling in there, and i think the cpu is running at something like 48 degrees C when idle?!

I just don't want to break my new graphics card. This surely won't happen will it as it's designed to take the full specs on games? it does get hot but i dont know how to cool a GFX card down when it only has a cooler fan on the card itself?

Anyone else has this issue?

Regards,

Alex
October 29, 2011 12:16:03 AM

This is more of a drivers thing, NOT the card. Just lower the settings, high is good enough.
October 29, 2011 12:49:02 AM

But I don't want to lower the settings :(  lol

It was running fine before? Meh, we'll just have to wait and see :)  do you reckon it's worth the money though to upgrade my system, because I'd quite like too :)  what system do you have?

Thanks,

Alex
October 29, 2011 6:36:50 AM

.... High vs Ultra is very unnoticeable.

I have a 955@3.6ghz+5850+8gb of ram
!