phil128

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hello.

I've have the "asus xonar essence st sound card" and I'm wondering why I cannot the 192Khz output through my speakers. I've got a pair of Roland speakers "http://www.roland.com/products/en/MA-15D/". I running my sound through an optical cable. Does this matter? Every other frequency works. I'm configuring everything through the Asus xonar software suite.

Thanks.

Do your self a favor and connect your stereo monitors using the Xonar's RCA output.
The entire purpose of your Essence ST is to give you top notch Analogue output.
I assure you, you will have better quality sound using the Essence ST's DAC than the Roland's.

Side note, ideally you should match the sampling rate of what ever you are playing with your output.
In example, if you are watching movies you will normally select 48kHz output, when listening to music it would be 41kHz.

Really, the only time you might need to match a 192kHz sample rate would with a DVD-Audio (optional for Mono and Stereo 2.0 output) or Blu-ray (optional for 6 channel Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio).

Optical can't carry 192KHz audio. Optical can only carry very low quality formats [96KHz 2.0 PCM and 44.1KHz Dolby/DTS lossy formats]. If you have a ST, its a total waste to not use either the headphone amp or the RCA outputs.

phil128

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

I didn't know that!

I'm using my sennheiser headphones 350 and they sound perfect. I'll connect my speakers up using the RCA outputs. I was just worried that my sound
card was playing up. I only bought it Yesterday.

Thanks for the reassurance.