Sign in with
Your question

$1000+/-, development build, limited gaming

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2011 7:52:04 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Within 2 weeks

Budget Range: $1000+/-

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Windows Development with services and databases running local, limited gaming (medium settings are fine) most likely the new Star Wars and occasionally WoW

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I have amazon prime and experience with newegg, but I'm open here.

Country of Origin: US of A!

Parts Preferences: Whatever as long as its reliable

Overclocking: Maybe (I've never OCd before but would consider it if needed)

SLI or Crossfire: I know this has something to do with using multiple video cards but thats it. Noobage.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1200, I love high resolution. I have a 24" monitor.

Additional Comments: I'd like to have the primary drive a solid state. Theres a good chance I'll dual boot at some point (Windows / Linux). While it's not vitally important, it'd be nice if the machine was at least a little bit eco-conscious. Would be nice if it wasn't really loud. Would be nice if it didn't generate a noticeable amount of heat in the room it's running in.

**EDIT**
Quad Core required. Starting with 8GB ram is fine, but mobo should support 16gb as that's what I'd like to have within the first few months.

And, I forgot to say THANK YOU.
October 26, 2011 9:45:12 PM

I found the following post from earlier this month and made a few changes.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/323006-31-check-gamin...

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Motherboard
Corsair Enthusiast Series 850-Watt PSU CMPSU-850TXV2
Intel Core i5-2500K
Crucial 128 GB SSD
Cooler Master RR-910-HTX3-G1
Corsair 16 GB Vengeance Blue Low Profile DDR3
Sapphire DIRT 3 EDITION Radeon HD 6950 2 GB

I think I could bring the price back down by getting a lesser video card which could also mean maybe a 650W PSU instead of 850. Or keep the price about the same by getting the lesser video card / PSU and then picking up the case and a mechanical drive (1 or 2 TB, 7200k RPM).

I don't know what kind of cables and other crap I will need (thermal paste?), like case fans or something. I built my own PC once but that was 10 years ago.

I read that the mobo listed requires a certain type of fan, and it doesn't support an older type called PWM. Not sure how that impacts my case choice.

Any thoughts or advice?
m
l
November 2, 2011 12:22:50 AM

Went with a laptop. ASUS N53 series. Upgraded to 16gb DDR3 and a 128gb SSD, moving the internal HDD to a caddy in the optical bay. Came out around $1100 with the discounts and upgrades.

Special thanks to shadamus for his post in a thread about this machine and some followup support he gave via private messages.
m
l
!