Question about next gen intel and nvidia parts

peep1988

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Hi I like to know your guys thoughts on ivy bridge and nvida 600 series mostly is ivy bridge going to caustic the same as sb and what about nvidias 600 series version of the 560tiis it going to be priced simillary because if so I want to hold off on buying a pc until windows 8 ivy bridge and NVIDIA 600 are here

As for Ivy bridge it should offer a small performance increase over sandy and use less power and be a similar price. the 600 series are more of a mystery but I would definitely expect more performance for the same money compared to what you can get today.

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
The rumors and speculation are that the direct replacement products (the replacement for the 560 ti for example) are going to be quite a bit more powerful but also have a higher MSRP. These are all based on leaked info- nothing official from NVidia.

Also keep in mind that you can get current gen stuff for quite a bit below MSRP due to rebates and good deals (560 ti can be had for about $180 after MIR on newegg). Usually not-so with brand new stuff.

IB will not be a big performer, but it will be feature heavy, and the onboard GPU will replace entry level gaming cards. Expect thunderbolt/lightpeak, PCIe3, and massive power use reduction. There is the possibility for widi, extra USB3 and SATA3 ports, but that is still speculation. But if you are gaming, there will be (or at least is likely to be) very little difference between SB and IB in terms of performance. These will sell for similar price points compared to the current gen chips.

The 600 series is going to be their first real attempt at taming power usage, so expect a lot more !/W, and to make noisy mid-range cards a thing of the past. This is a new architecture, which (according to history) generally means a 25-30% performance increase compared to Firmi. However, until we see benchmarks we will not know for sure. Keep in mind that the first cards out the gate will all be reference cards, and it takes a little while for the customer base and the manufacturers to come out with beefier/better quality boards that are slightly above spec. Also they will not be releasing the entire lineup all at once, so it may take 6-8 months for them to release the card that is right for you, even if the series launch is only a few months away. Due to some birthing pains of moving to a much smaller process we are expecting a price hike on all the new GPUs from nvidia and AMD compared to the previous gen.

peep1988

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

since im new to pc gaming lets say i cant wait for intel and nvidia should i just get a sb i5 2500k and a nvidia 560ti then sell and upgrade once newer generation parts are out how much do you expect the replacment of the 560ti to cost my budget on a card is about 250ish

peep1988

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

thanks for your reply ive heard that ib is going to be a better overclocker since the chips are smaller and cooler and on nvidia i know nothings official but what do you think i would get for a 250ish 600 series card

as far as im aware nvidia is skipping the 600 series and going straight to the 700 series for desktop... http://www.tweaktown.com/news/21936/leakedtt_nvidia_to_skip_600_series_jump_straight_to_geforce_gtx_780_did_i_mention_it_is_nearly_twice_as_fast_as_the_gtx_580/index.html

leaving the 600 for laptops... personally i wont see any reason to upgrade to the next [strike]gen[/strike] gfx. i was considering the move till i saw the pricing... the top tier single gpu cards are likely to land at around 600bux or 450-500pounds there mid range is likely to be the top end of $400-450/£300-350 and perform no better than a 580 so even for me with a 5870 it wont be worth the outlay on performance grounds.
from what i have seen from both ati and nvidia is a bit of a side ways step on performance yes it has moved forward but not enough... if i can get more performance from 2 way cheaper but older cards buying 1 of these new iterations just doesnt seem worth it. dx11.1? theres still not enough games out that use dx11... nah i want double the performance of my 5870 for the same £300 i payed for it 2 years ago until then i wont even consider upgrading to new arcitecture... i much rather get another 5870 for £150

in answer to the above what do you think i would get for a 250ish 600 series card?.
maybe 10% more performance and a similar drop in power consumption... so 250 will get a 560 now or a 660/760 on the next iteration which will probably perform as well as the current 570 but thats a guess.

peep1988

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

thing is that link is based on unreliable sources... i just found out that they have a tendency to release such info when ati steal a lead on nvidia, in the hopes to slow sales till the release of the next iteration... they did the same with the previous cards... they made outlandish claims that they could beat the 5870 by x2 the performance with a gtx 570 when in reality they were about 10% better.
i say its unreliable but there is often a measure of truth in there articles.