Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Question about GPU and CPU bottlenecking

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 28, 2011 4:37:00 PM

Hello, I am looking to upgrade my older Graphics card to a newer more capable Graphics card for current generation gaming and had a few questions about bottle necking. Current specs are

CPU - i5-750 clocked @ 2.67GHZ
Display - Nvidia GTX 260
RAM - 4 Gigs Corsair XMS3 1600
MOBO - GB P55M-UD2
PSU - Rocketfish 550W Power Supply

I'm looking to purchase a ATI Radeon 2GB 6950 seen here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Basically I am just skeptical if i will get CPU bottlenecks if I do end up running this card? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! :D 
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2011 5:06:14 PM

No your CPU will not bottleneck.. I mean come on.. it's an intel core i5! It's a good cpu despite being the previous generation intel cpu. However, I would hold off with the purchase due to amd 7xxx coming out this year and keplar coming out next year. The 260 should give you decent fps for now... I would invest in a more reliable psu unit. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rocketfish-550-W... Your power supply passes the test but it doesn't give full 550w. You can usually grab antec off newegg for cheap compared to XFX, Corsaiar, and Seasonic.
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 5:55:21 PM

What games at what resolution?
Related resources
August 28, 2011 5:57:21 PM

1920x1080. Newer generation games such as Deus Ex Human Revolution, Battlefield 3 Etc.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2011 6:06:40 PM

the 2.67 clock on that cpu will bottleneck a bit, but you should still see a performance boost coming from a 260 to the 6950.
August 28, 2011 6:08:12 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
the 2.67 clock on that cpu will bottleneck a bit, but you should still see a performance boost coming from a 260 to the 6950.


Thank you. As far as how it will bottleneck, do you think Micro Stuttering will be present?

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2011 6:11:23 PM
Share

Not that I could see. Micro stuttering in alot of cases is due to the communication between the HDD and RAM - the HDD cant get the info fast enough for the ram to process, or you have insufficient ram to process the info that the HDD is sending, which you have 4g of 1600 so you should be ok. Typically a cpu bottleneck will just prevent your GPU from performing at its highest capability. Unless you have an incredibly slow HDD or an extremely full HDD i dont think you will have any issues with micro-stuttering with that CPU/GPU setup, esp. if you OC the CPU
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 6:13:29 PM

pib191 said:
1920x1080. Newer generation games such as Deus Ex Human Revolution, Battlefield 3 Etc.


Yea, at that resolution you will get a healthy increase in FPS. See this chart to see how the 260 fares against a card like the newer 460. Then see the 2011 charts to see how the 6950 does at that resolution.

I would definitely replace that PSU.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2011 6:15:01 PM

DXRick said:
Yea, at that resolution you will get a healthy increase in FPS. See this chart to see how the 260 fares against a card like the newer 460. Then see the 2011 charts to see how the 6950 does at that resolution.

I would definitely replace that PSU.

rocketfish isnt so bad- my Father has had his running for 2+ years now without fail.
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 6:42:35 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
rocketfish isnt so bad- my Father has had his running for 2+ years now without fail.


Well, see this page. You will find Rocketfish in the tier 5 list. :pt1cable: 

(My dad bought a Dell last year, instead of letting me build one for him. So....)
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2011 7:01:20 PM

DXRick said:
Well, see this page. You will find Rocketfish in the tier 5 list. :pt1cable: 

(My dad bought a Dell last year, instead of letting me build one for him. So....)

Please don't turn this into a I'm right you're wrong thread; I was just stating how if it works he should keep it because the experience my dad has had with his hasn't been negative. I'm talking about heavy usage over the 2 years he has had it. I dont know what your dad buying a dell has to do with anything.
August 28, 2011 7:06:06 PM

Thank you all for replying so fast to this thread, i'm going to resolve it with this. Thanks a ton and you all have my appreciation :) 
August 28, 2011 7:06:36 PM

Best answer selected by pib191.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2011 7:07:12 PM

pib191 said:
Thank you all for replying so fast to this thread, i'm going to resolve it with this. Thanks a ton and you all have my appreciation :) 

no problem and good luck
!