Overheating Crossfire 4850hd's, need advice on third party cooler?

fatboy187

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
HI, i built this sytem a couple years back but never used it for serious gaming, it has two radoen hd4850s crossfired, but i ve been having overheating problems with a couple simple sports games, nba 2k10 and mlb2k10, and crysis, i want to add two zalman vf1000's to each card, but i dont know if the one slot space between the two boards will be enough to house the first cards zalamn cooler, can anyone suggest a low profile cooler to put on them, thanks,

jeepster50

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
First off what are your temps at idle and load?
Second, the vf1000s are good coolers but IMO are over priced and won't help much with the 4850s.
3rd, hows your case air flow? Adding case fans might optimize case component cooling.
And have you cleaned everything out lately (dust)?

fatboy187

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
idle temp: 85c
load temp: 110c

I have a big nzxt case with 5 case fans and 1 panel fan "door" its fairly clean all the fans are running tho in my opinion not very fast, maybe i mis configured the crossfire link, any ideas?

jeepster50

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Running that hot, it's just a matter of time before one or both get damaged, as above posted I second dumping them on ebay but I'd go with a non-reference 6950, they run @ load in the low 60s and with kick a-s frame rates.
Edit; The GTX560 Ti is also a good choice.

fatboy187

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
one quick quesiton on the crossfire setup, my cards have two bridges on them,and they each came with one crossfire ribbon, am i suppose to connect both crossfrie ribbons or just one? the bridges are labled ja1 and ja2,

fatboy187

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
nevermind i get the ribbons are just an internal connectors for the two graphics dvi ports i think ne way, someone clairfy , i just want to make sure its not the connection thats heating it up before i scrap it

jeepster50

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
One crossfire connecter is all that's required but I've read that using both is sometimes helpful, in what way don't know but it wont hurt.
Edit; Those dvi connecters may impede air circulation and in turn increase temps.
2nd Edit; Try taking out bottom card and see what temps you get. That will show you the effect on crossfire temps.

jeepster50

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
After upgrading your graphics, do some research on case cooling. I feel those temps you have now can be improved on a lot, consider new fans and/or a fan speed controller.
Good luck and come back and let us know how you made out with everything.

*Tech answer:

You definitely should wait for the new graphics cards. They will use roughly 2.5x less power for the same performance. I can't speak to price. Available in:

- AMD 7000 series (Q4 2011)
- NVidia 600 series (Q2 2012)

*Also, I highly recommend you read the article on micro-stuttering which highly suggest no one get an SLI or Crossfire setup. Toms main page.

Summary:
Get a new card for at least $200 from AMD or NVidia, depending on how long you can wait and your budget.

My guess is that a $250 AMD card near Christmas will have at least 2x the performance of a current NVidia GTX560Ti.

I had those in crossfire as well, and i used therlmaltake DuOrbs on them, having idle temps of 27 C and loads under 60 with a moderate ambient temp (16-22 i think).

Thou at this point i also would not suggest buying coolers as 2 coolers might cost almost the same as a new gpu that will work at least as good.
The thermaltake duords take 2 slots (the gpu slot+ 1 extra slot).
The third slot can be used but you have to remmber the air movement will be significantly worse if you do that (i have a tv tunner card, but its quite small).

Hope this helps a bit.

fatboy187

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
this from zalman usa:

Hi #%#^&,

In regards to your question, the following cards from Zalman are compatible:
VF2000 LED, VF950 LED, VF770, VF900-Cu LED, GV1000 Z-Machine, and VF1000
LED.

As long as the coolers can run one-to-one (one VGA card + one VGA cooler) as
normal then doing crossfire format is fine.

Thank you for inquiring about our line of Zalman products.

Thank you,

Tech Support Department
Zalman USA, Inc.

Follow Zalman on Forum, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter