Laptop power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajee

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading my i3 330M HM55 chipset cpu on my laptop which is running at i think 25W(according to zcupid) to a i7 or i5 which run at around 55W.

My problem is that im not sure if my power supply and battery can handle that load.

My specs
i3 330M cpu
2sticks of 2gb ram (4gb total)
Ati Radeon premium graphics (ill be more specific if need be)
blueray disk
15inch 1080x920 full hd dispaly
power supply is 19.5v 3.9A model vgp-AC19v37
laptop model vaio vpceb17fg

Solution
Your motherboard does not support the socket type that the new processor uses also the insufficient cooling in your laptop would most likely cause it to overheat. On a laptop the only things you should be upgrading/changing are HDD's and ram.

ajee

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
This is the cpu i want to put in. It says its compatible with HM55 chipsets.

http://ark.intel.com/products/43127/Intel-Core-i7-940XM-Processor-Extreme-Edition-(8M-Cache-2_13-GHz)

Im hoping i can get away with not upgrading the charger which is why i want to know if the charger i currently have is sufficient or not.

The laptop currently runs at 63C - 65C max(is that too hot?) when on load. The fan out put only feels slightly warm at that temp so im thinking the heatsink could take alot more heat.

My motherboard is
manufactured by: the evil Sony Corporation
Model: VAIO
Chipset: intel Havendale/Clarkdale host bridge Rev: 02
Southbridge: intel HM55 REV:05

BIOS
Brand: American Megatrends Inc
Version: R0300Y8
date: 07/20/2010

How do i check is my motherboard can support my cpu or not?

Sorry for the long post and Thnx for the help

ErikTheAndroid

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Your motherboard does not support the socket type that the new processor uses also the insufficient cooling in your laptop would most likely cause it to overheat. On a laptop the only things you should be upgrading/changing are HDD's and ram.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.