Sign in with
Your question

Updating BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
November 28, 2012 11:29:42 AM

Hello everyone,

I am new to this website and new to building computers (I'm a complete newb, actually). I have a question about updating the MOBO BIOS before installing the CPU. I bought an AMD FX 6100 processor, and it came packaged with the following note:

Important- Prior to installing your AMD FX CPU, please go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and download the latest motherboard BIOS. AMD recommends you download the latest motherboard BIOS directly from your manufacturer immediately after you have installed your operating system, and prior to other driver installations. Successfully following these steps will help ensure a positive experience, continued warratny coverage, and reliable operation.

This has me perplexed. I thought you had to install the CPU before you could turn on the computer and mess around with the BIOS?

In any event, my motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+. I was hoping this MOBO would allow me to install the CPU and update the BIOS afterwards to avoid any confusion on my part.

More about : updating bios

a c 159 à CPUs
a c 435 V Motherboard
November 28, 2012 5:04:28 PM

You don't have to do anything if the cpu runs. Bios flashes ocassionally go wrong leaving you with a dead board. And some of the recently shipped boards already come with the latest bios installed. Try it first and see if it posts.
m
l
November 29, 2012 1:04:43 AM

My motherboard box advertises that it comes with the AM3+ BIOS installed. I guess I will just run the BIOS with the CPU installed and update the motherboard drivers with the driver disc that came packaged.
m
l
!