Sign in with
Your question

Help: Homebuild restarts or crashes during games

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2011 11:47:01 PM

Hi all,
I recently built a new gaming PC and it works perfectly except for one crucial problem...it restarts or crashes (although this rarely happens...only twice and I've tried playing a lot) when I play certain games (Mount & Blade does not have any problems at all, while Civ V does). There is no pattern to the restarts, sometimes it happens within 15 min, sometimes it takes hours (and occasionally it doesn't happen at all!). I did some research and found PSUs to be the cause of many similar problems so I upgraded from a MK silencer 650 watt to my current Corsair 850 watt. At first I thought this fixed the problem as I was able to play the games no problem, but then it started up again. All my temps are good (CPU 30-40C and GPUs 60-80C while playing) so it is not because of overheating. Any ideas what could be causing it? Thanks in advance!

System Specs:
MB : Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
CPU : i7 2500k
GPU : 2x PNY GTX 560 Ti
RAM : Ripjaw 16 Gb DDR3 1600
PSU : Corsair Professional Series hx 850W
HDD : Toshiba 3TB HDD
SSD : Patriot 120GB SSD
DVD : Asus 24x DVD+RW
October 27, 2011 1:56:48 AM

I dunno 'bout you, but I would be surprised at any windoze powered machine that did not crash, especially when gaming, the fact that you are not getting/reporting a BSOD , indicates,,, that it is just business as usual, it could be that there is an incompatibility with your video drivers that only surfaces whenever...:) 
!