AS Rock Extreme 4 Motherboard Errors?

hws25

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Hey Everyone!

I just got all of my pc components and was working towards building my first pc.

The main components are:

AS ROCK EXTREME4 Z77
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K
Rosewill RNX-N150PCe (RNWD-11011) IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCIe 2.0 Wireless Adapter
SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100358VXL Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V

Before building the pc itself, I did a test run to make sure all my components were working. I basically installed the cpu, graphics card, and the ram and powered it all through the power supply to see if it booted or not. It successfully booted taking me to it's bios screen immediately. Then I decided to move the motherboard into my case and have screwed everything in.

However, now when I try to boot, I get multiple booting problems. (All I have plugged in is the ram, graphics card, cpu and heatsink.) The error I get is 4F which is DXE IPL is started and code 99 Super IO Initialization and 9A USB initialization is started . The fans work, then these codes loop, and then the fans stop. And these don't seem to be errors rather than just telling me things have started but I am not sure what is going wrong here?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Solution
you put the motherboard (with exposed solder points and all) directly against the metal motherboard tray? or you screwed the mounting screws into standoffs (which are usually brass colored, have a male threaded end and a female threaded end to raise the motherboard off the tray by a 1/4" or so)

hws25

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Reseat meaning, taking everythign out of the case and then trying it? Or just unplugging and replugging everything within the case? And, does using all the standoffs or not make a difference?

Edit: Hold on, I might be confused with a concept lol. I don't exactly know what standoffs are so to clarify things, I have just used screws to put the mobo into the case (Noter: I did not mount the mobo using all of the screw holes since some screws seemed to be too short between the mobo and the case holes, however it's strong enough to stay in place.) After I did that, only does it not boot. You can hear the fans working for a second and bam, it turns off and the codes numbers pop up.

osamabinrobot

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
you put the motherboard (with exposed solder points and all) directly against the metal motherboard tray? or you screwed the mounting screws into standoffs (which are usually brass colored, have a male threaded end and a female threaded end to raise the motherboard off the tray by a 1/4" or so)

Solution

osamabinrobot

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
yes the standoffs get mounted to the motherboard tray then the motherboard gets screwed down to the standoffs. i really hope you didnt blow something up but uh, maybe you can RMA it if you did (not exactly the most honest of solutions obvy)

hws25

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
WOOH. TOOK EVERYTHING OUT OF THE CASE AND IT WORKS and booted to bios loool. This time, I am gonna install the stand offs first AND THEN put the mobo on top. I guess I am lucky that nothing shorted out?

hws25

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Update: Installing the mobo mounted in the case on top of standoffs now boots perfectly. Still a question though, anyone care to explain why the motherboard would not boot even if t was screwed on without stand offs?