Deciding on a GPU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

robig2

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Hi,

I`m looking to upgrade my GPU. Initially I though about buying the 6970 but then I`ve read on this months best graphics for the money that crossfire of 6870 will do better however there is a slight limitation on my motherboard side as it will only do PCIEX4 on crossfire.
Today I`ve read about the 6950 and its ability to become 6970 so I`m thinking that I`ll get that one and in 6-12 months I`ll add a twin to it and while at it maybe replace the mobo.

I`d like to hear some opinions on this and also, has anyone heard of anything new coming in the GPU market? I couldn't find any articles about it but maybe someone else did?

Current setup:
GPU: Sapphire 4870 toxic edition
CPU: i5 2500k @ 3.6ghz
mobo: Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3765#ov
PSU: Corsair TX 750w v2
Memory: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz "Vengeance" series
HD: 2xSamsung Spinpoint F3 1000GB HD103SJ

Thanks in advance

robig2

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
My resolution is 1920x1200

Regarding the bottleneck: They`ve only tested x4 with a single GPU however, as you can see in the x8 SLI test that the difference to x16 is negligable while in single card its around 9% which is meaningfull.
I can only assume the same is true for the x4 test: While the sinlge card loses around 20%, I would assume the performance gain loss would be less then that.

Btw, the description on the mobo says that the second slot is reduced to x4... could this mean the main slot remains x16? could they`ve made a board that has 16+4 lanes?
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3765#ov

Yeah most of the cheaper mobo's that have SLI/X-fire come with a 16x/4x configuration. You usually have to spend >$20 to get 8x/8x or 16x/16x configuration.
I tend to stick to 1 GPU solution for several factors:
1) Less cost.
2) Less demand on PSU = Less cost.
3) Less heat, due to extra GPU in the case = cooler temps and longer lasting parts and less cooling required.
4) Less complications in games, some run almost equal speeds as their single counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.