Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PC boots straight into windows

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
November 28, 2012 12:33:03 PM

Hi everyone

I recently overclocked my i7-920 cpu to 4Ghz (190 x 21, 1.25 vCore), and since then everytime i power up my system
I won't see anything on the monitor until the system loads up windows.

This leads to a situation where I can't load the bios settings up because I can't see the POST message, and even if I
press 'delete' at the right moment I won't see anything on the monitor but the mobo does load bios when doing that.
I know this because the lcd poster shows that it has entered setup.

The only way i can reach the bios again is by resetting my bios settings.

This is my system:

ASUS Rampage ii Extreme (x58)
Intel Core i7-920 overclocked to 4ghz (stock is 2.67ghz).
Patriot Viper Xtreme DDR3 6gb 3x2 1600mhz on 1.65v (currently 1524mhz) timings are: 8-8-8-24 (original timings are: 8-9-8-24).
Nvidia geForce GTX 275
Thermaltake tough power 750w

I've also updated my bios today to the latest version but it had no effect on the issue.

At the beginning i thought the problem was with the gpu but then I noticed that when i reset my overclock everything works fine.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance


edit: I will add the the system is working just fine with the overclock. It's stable with the cpu speed and voltage I stated and there aren't any issues with the overclock except this one.

More about : boots straight windows

November 28, 2012 12:50:08 PM

Hoh, quite a big jump for an overclock. Try resetting CMOS i.e. removing the small battery on the mobo.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
November 28, 2012 12:53:27 PM

moshik94 said:
Hi everyone

I recently overclocked my i7-920 cpu to 4Ghz (190 x 21, 1.25 vCore), and since then everytime i power up my system
I won't see anything on the monitor until the system loads up windows.

This leads to a situation where I can't load the bios settings up because I can't see the POST message, and even if I
press 'delete' at the right moment I won't see anything on the monitor but the mobo does load bios when doing that.
I know this because the lcd poster shows that it has entered setup.

The only way i can reach the bios again is by resetting my bios settings.

This is my system:

ASUS Rampage ii Extreme (x58)
Intel Core i7-920 overclocked to 4ghz (stock is 2.67ghz).
Patriot Viper Xtreme DDR3 6gb 3x2 1600mhz on 1.65v (currently 1524mhz) timings are: 8-8-8-24 (original timings are: 8-9-8-24).
Nvidia geForce GTX 275
Thermaltake tough power 750w

I've also updated my bios today to the latest version but it had no effect on the issue.

At the beginning i thought the problem was with the gpu but then I noticed that when i reset my overclock everything works fine.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance


edit: I will add the the system is working just fine with the overclock. It's stable with the cpu speed and voltage I stated and there aren't any issues with the overclock except this one.


Try the other video out ports on your video card. A lot of video cards doesn't display VESA compatible modes at POST on all ports, so try another port and there maybe signal on there before windows comes up.

As well, even if you don't see the POST messages, you should still be able to access the BIOS with the special key. If you can get back into the BIOS, check around for options to show boot screen (some BIOS' have this option).
m
0
l
Related resources
November 29, 2012 8:56:24 AM

Maxx_Power said:
Try the other video out ports on your video card. A lot of video cards doesn't display VESA compatible modes at POST on all ports, so try another port and there maybe signal on there before windows comes up.

As well, even if you don't see the POST messages, you should still be able to access the BIOS with the special key. If you can get back into the BIOS, check around for options to show boot screen (some BIOS' have this option).


I get no signal either way. But as I said I'm able to access bios using the special key (the lcd poster shows that it's inside setup), the problem is that there is no signal to the monitor until windows gets loaded up (thus I can't see the bios setting while inside bios).
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2012 1:08:43 PM

moshik94 said:
I get no signal either way. But as I said I'm able to access bios using the special key (the lcd poster shows that it's inside setup), the problem is that there is no signal to the monitor until windows gets loaded up (thus I can't see the bios setting while inside bios).


Okay, I'm guessing you are using a discrete video card. If you have another GPU, can you try that ? Check your BIOS to see which adapter is being enumerated first for display. Usually you get PCI, PCI-E (various slots), integrated (if you have on). Try setting this setting in the BIOS to PCI-E (your adapter slot) first.
m
0
l
December 1, 2012 1:18:05 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Okay, I'm guessing you are using a discrete video card. If you have another GPU, can you try that ? Check your BIOS to see which adapter is being enumerated first for display. Usually you get PCI, PCI-E (various slots), integrated (if you have on). Try setting this setting in the BIOS to PCI-E (your adapter slot) first.


It's set to PCI-E as default and my gpu is nvidia geforce gtx 275.

The problem is somehow related to the overclock because everything works just fine at stock settings. I just don't understand how it's related because all the settings i change in BIOS when i overclock are only CPU and RAM related.

It seems that the cpu overclock is somehow affecting the gpu, but it works just fine when benching or gaming. Maybe it doesn't support this cpu overclock (I know it doesn't make alot of sense but I'm out of reasonable possibilities). I've noticed that when the cpu is only slightly overclocked to 3.2ghz, I will see the post message after some reboots, so I can't find a concrete reason to this problem.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2012 5:08:51 PM

moshik94 said:
It's set to PCI-E as default and my gpu is nvidia geforce gtx 275.

The problem is somehow related to the overclock because everything works just fine at stock settings. I just don't understand how it's related because all the settings i change in BIOS when i overclock are only CPU and RAM related.

It seems that the cpu overclock is somehow affecting the gpu, but it works just fine when benching or gaming. Maybe it doesn't support this cpu overclock (I know it doesn't make alot of sense but I'm out of reasonable possibilities). I've noticed that when the cpu is only slightly overclocked to 3.2ghz, I will see the post message after some reboots, so I can't find a concrete reason to this problem.


The BIOS is usually full of bugs that can be triggered when a combination of parameters are set. This is actually very common. If it is not the motherboard BIOS, it could be the VGA bios (which you can also update, most of the time, but harder).

As a last resort, check in the power settings in the BIOS to see if you have a setting that posts the VGA bios when the computer is waking up from a sleep. I can't think of any logical reason why that setting might change anything in your case, but in the event that there are some bugs in the BIOS related to your OC settings, you might as well try all related (even indirectly) settings. If you find that setting, try enabling it to see if it makes any difference.

Lastly, you COULD check the BIOS (usually the last few tabs or pages) to see if you have the option of enabling the bootup screen (usually a manufacturer's logo, or your own logo if customized it) and the fast POST option (may not be on the same BIOS page or section). If you disable the fast POST, the computer will slowly check all the RAM, and you may get back that bootup POST screen, but even if this works, I think the extra time spent with all that RAM is a bit of a waste.
m
0
l
!