Sign in with
Your question

Computer says connected,but wont pull up browser!

Last response: in Networking
November 28, 2010 3:45:34 AM

HELP....

I have 3 computers, 2 desktops and 1 laptop. 1 desktop and laptop works, but 1 desktop doen't, but it use to... it just stopped working!it says its connected, but wont pull up any website! we have a wireless router hooked to our modem. i checked if the desktop says its working offline, and its not. ive checked the wires to the modem, unplugged them, and plugged them back in. i removed the usb stick for the wireless internet to that computer and reinstalled the disk... still nothing! please help

thanks,
missy
November 28, 2010 3:03:33 PM

Try pinging something like google.com. To do this in windows 7, open the start menu, type "cmd" (without quotes) in the search area, and open the first utility which comes up. This is the command prompt. In the command prompt, type "ping google.com". It will try to send 4 packets to google.com and see if it gets a response. If it says "Request timed out", there is something wrong with your internet or network connection. If it gives you a reply like, "Reply from 74.125.95.103: Bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=53" your network is fine, and there is something wrong with the software on your computer.
m
l
November 28, 2010 6:37:25 PM

Have you tried to power cycle your modem and the router. Your connecting to the router but your getting no connection. Its like getting in your car to go somewhere but theirs no road. Power cycle the modem and router by unplugging it for 30 seconds, totally disconnecting power and plug it back in. Wait a minute and try to connect again with your computer.
m
l
Related resources
November 28, 2010 6:48:23 PM

(s)he says that other computers work with the router - so it shouldn't be the problem, at least not in general.
m
l
November 28, 2010 7:08:51 PM

Well your computers that have been hooked up can work fine. These things use DHCP addressing and can actually run out of IP addresses to assign if setup wrong, and it never hurts to power cycle them and it takes a minute. If not that then it could possibly be a virus trying to redirect your web page.
m
l
November 28, 2010 8:38:57 PM

ok.. i typed in "cmd" and got back response:

bytes: 32
time: 51
ttl: 54

So what does this mean? From above i get there is something wrong with my software... So how would i fix this?!
m
l
November 29, 2010 1:53:43 AM

It means that a packet got through from your computer to google's - which means that your network connection is working.
As to what to do now, honestly, I don't really know.
Two things that I would try are re-installing the web browser (or installing a new one) and checking the computer for malware.
m
l
November 29, 2010 2:00:00 AM

ok thank you! do you have any idea as to how i am suppose to re-install a web browser? im not very smart when it comes to computers.. should i just take it in to like a best buy or something? i dont wanna mess it up anymore than it already is
m
l
November 29, 2010 2:09:32 AM

To install a web browser, go to one of your computers which has internet access working, download firefox (or chrome, I just like firefox better:) ) and run the installer. For malware, run any anti-virus you may have installed. If you don't have any installed, I'll think about ones which you can install without using a web browser. I know that you can install Spybot S&D (which is free) from a downloaded package, but I'm not sure if you need to download updates or not. It's worth a try at least. The other one which I recommend is Microsoft Security Essentials (also free).
m
l
November 29, 2010 2:16:59 AM

ok.. so how do i get it to the desk top that isnt working? like i said above, the other 2 computers are working just fine.. its just the 1 desk top that suddenly stopped!
m
l
November 29, 2010 10:42:40 AM

Is it that windows won't work, or that just the web browser won't work? If the former, there is a whole different set of things to try. If the latter, I'd just take a USB thumb drive and put the files on it from a computer which can download them. You could also burn them to a CD.
m
l
November 29, 2010 12:06:52 PM

ya i'm not able to pull up anything on the internet... no web page will show up when typed in the search bar. i have tryed taking out usb internet thingy and re-installing and it still will not work!
m
l
September 5, 2012 1:54:08 PM

missyw4583 said:
ya i'm not able to pull up anything on the internet... no web page will show up when typed in the search bar. i have tryed taking out usb internet thingy and re-installing and it still will not work!

I found this on another forum and it worked for me:

next flush dns , this will resolve a corrupt dns folder
start>search>type cmd> right click " command " and run as admin .
type cd\ and press enter next at the prompt type ipconfig /flushdns
c:\>ipconfig /flushdns
If you have a copy of HostsXpert , select MS default , if you don't have a copy , then copy across with cd or usb .
And lastly winsock reset , as above from an elevated command prompt cd\ >press enter , from c:\> netsh winsock reset
c:\>netsh winsock reset and then press enter
m
l
October 20, 2012 2:29:52 PM

elel said:
Try pinging something like google.com. To do this in windows 7, open the start menu, type "cmd" (without quotes) in the search area, and open the first utility which comes up. This is the command prompt. In the command prompt, type "ping google.com". It will try to send 4 packets to google.com and see if it gets a response. If it says "Request timed out", there is something wrong with your internet or network connection. If it gives you a reply like, "Reply from 74.125.95.103: Bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=53" your network is fine, and there is something wrong with the software on your computer.

but i connect my laptop anathar wailess modem.
m
l
December 11, 2012 12:23:11 PM

exorchan said:
I found this on another forum and it worked for me:

next flush dns , this will resolve a corrupt dns folder
start>search>type cmd> right click " command " and run as admin .
type cd\ and press enter next at the prompt type ipconfig /flushdns
c:\>ipconfig /flushdns
If you have a copy of HostsXpert , select MS default , if you don't have a copy , then copy across with cd or usb .
And lastly winsock reset , as above from an elevated command prompt cd\ >press enter , from c:\> netsh winsock reset
c:\>netsh winsock reset and then press enter

Where do I go to flush the dns? and then what do i type and where?
m
l
March 26, 2013 4:14:29 PM

My issue with this problem was Norton Internet Security!!!!!!!!!! As soon as the ping showed me that the connection was intact then I uninstalled Norton and voila! The internet was back! :) :bounce: 
m
l
March 26, 2013 4:44:03 PM

Ya i don't know much about computers at all.. So i just took it in to get looked at, they charged me $50.00 i guess my computer had a virus on it that wasn't allowing my browser to pull up so the guy tells me! My laptop later took a shit, the hard drive crashed or whatever and he couldn't fix it for a reasonable price! Guess it pays to know something little about them... :lol: 
m
l
September 5, 2013 5:29:25 PM

elel said:

if its a problem with my software, what do i do?
m
l
Related resources
!