No video signal from new motherboard after single shut down

Amesicle

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Just completed a new build, and it initially booted up fine. I managed to install Windows. I had an issue with the nvidia driver recognizing my video card, and I was borrowing a cd drive from a friend, so I shut down the pc. I removed the cd drive and powered the pc back up. Now the monitor doesn't pick up a signal (I tried a couple of different dvi and vga cables) and the mobo speaker is silent. :( What is going on? I hope I am just being stupid. Please help!

Build:

i5 3570k cpu
550W ps
nvidia 650ti gpu
asrock z77 pro3 mobo
gskills 1600 RAM

Amesicle

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I really hope that works! In regards to the nvidia card not being recognized, I get the error message:

"Graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware,"

when attempting to install driver. GPU fan is running and it is showing up in device manager as unknown. If I get a video signal, I will check to see if my BIOS is up to date. :\

Amesicle

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
But, if by "onboard graphics" you mean the motherboard video outputs, that is what the monitor has been plugged into, and I get nothing. I will try the gpu outputs, though.

jlh66z

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Hi Amesicle
I have the exact same problem have even replaced the asrock pro4 motherboard with an asrock pro 3 (both brand new) same result runs great for an hour or so then no video output. all case fans and CPU fan still work.
Did you work it out? VERY frustrating!! have built over 10 machines now & never had a problem..I'm stumped...have checked everything replaced all leads, power supply monitor......ready to throw in the ocean!!
Regards jlh66z

Amesicle

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

Hi jlh66z,

Hopefully you've worked it out by now, sorry for the late response! I did work it out, though the cause is still quite mysterious to me. First, I unplugged the monitor and cycled power. Then I opened up the case and made sure everything was plugged in. Then, I simply hooked the monitor up to the GPU... and it started working again. I was prepared to reset CMOS if I still didn't make progress.

Also, after I got the computer up and running again, I had no problem downloading the driver for the GPU. Strange business, but there is always something when building your own rig. Anyways, since then the computer has been up and running great, and I have had no repeat of problems.

It is strange that you get video signal temporarily, and then nothing... my first thought is the GPU (if you are using one). I really hope you're no longer having issues! It is SO frustrating!!!