Sign in with
Your question

2600K Good enough for editing Native AVCHD? (in Adobe CS 5.5)

Last response: in CPUs
January 27, 2012 5:40:42 PM

I was debating on whether or not to get a 3930k, but it appears that there is a shortage. I am going to be buying Adobe's CS 5.5 Production Premium (e.g Premiere, After Effects etc.) and I need to know if I will be able to edit AVCHD (.mov) natively with a i7 2600k. (I will also be using an SSD for the OS and Programs.) I am not concerned about rendering time--I am only really concerned about being able to edit quickly.

Also note that I have a 560 TI Graphics card so I can enable the Mercury Playback Engine.

I do a lot of gaming, but I also want to do some video editing. I just don't want stuttery playback or scrubbing of the timeline that isn't smooth.

Does anyone have this software and use it with similar hardware? Can you please let me know how well it works?

Thank you for your time everyone!

P.S. i7 2700k..what's the difference?

P.P.S. I don't plan on overclocking. I want a rock-solid stable system, for logevity.

Thank you!
a c 190 à CPUs
January 27, 2012 6:38:54 PM

Yes the Intel® Core™ i7-2600K will work fine in Adobe CS 5.5. While the extra memory bandwidth of the Intel Core i7-3930K would help to give you better performance but it isnt a must. Now the difference between the Intel Core i7-2600K and the Intel Core i7-2700K is a total of 100MHz higher clock speed so it isnt a big difference.

As far as overclocking you don't need to overclock but you can overclocking the Intel Core i7-2600K to over 4GHz and still have it rock solid stable. Once you start to reach up to around 4.4 and above you have to start to have to change some voltages that is where you may start to run into stablity problems. Just make sure that you are keeping the processor cool and it will last for a long time.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
January 27, 2012 7:11:49 PM

In the THG article on the Ivy Bridge CPUs, I looked at this page: Benchmark Results: Content Creation.

The extra cores definitely help speed up some operations (35% in the Adobe Premiere test).

However, to find an answer to your specific question, I would go to Adobe's forums and ask there.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2012 7:36:43 PM

This is one of my favourite topics. I also do a lot of cs5.5 (ppro and after effects) and can relate my experience. My CPU is an i7 920 running at 4GHz. It will thus be ball park with a 2600k, the latter with a 15% advantage, more if you clock it higher.

I have to say that while the 920 is "good enough" to run 5.5 acceptably with moderately demanding workflows, an entirely different category of CPU power is needed for it to be perfect. Multi layered effects upon effects will bring any system juddering to a halt in real time editing, even a hex core i7. So it's really a matter of degree - there really is no such thing as enough Cpu power in 5.5. There have been a number of times when I've wanted more CPU power than my i7 can deliver so I'd say if it's only a little wait, get the 3930k.

I'm not sure if you've actually tried to use the 560 ti (which I also have) with gpu accelerated MPE. This is something I've done a fair bit. Overall my conclusion is it's not worth the hassle. For a start you have to apply a hack to recognise the 560 ti (not too much bother in itself but you have to re do the hack whenever the software updates). Also I find ppro is less stable with less predictable results when used with gpu acceleration. Sometimes I get odd things going on. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the 560 ti or whether the Cuda code is immature and would be the same with any gpu. Finally, only a limited number of effects can be gpu accelerated. So on balance while you can get a speed boost with MPE, my experience tells me it's not really worth the hassle.

Edit to add, if you don't plan to overclock there's no point in getting a k 2600. And at stock speed it will probably be very close in performance to an i7 920 running at 4GHz, so the comparison above is pertinent.
m
l
January 27, 2012 10:33:56 PM

All very helpful responses. Thank you everyone.

Maybe you can give me a little better idea Bwrlane. Let's say I had one layer of AVCHD footage, title and end credits, and maybe some color correcting / grading in there. Would the system be able to handle that fairly well? Or does the coloring part just put too much into the mix and slow it down?

I don't mind doing the work-around for enabling the 560ti, but if it's going to make it less stable, I might not do that.

As far as overclocking--I want to get the 2600k so I can be a little future proof and overclock it in the future to squeeze some extra value out of it if I need to.

I probably will head over to the adobe forums and post my question there as well.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2012 11:27:01 PM

I love my 2600 (non K for me), and it does a great job with Adobe Premiere. Get at least 16GB of ram, and it will suck it dry in no time flat!

That said, I have only been able to push my 2600 to ~70% with a 3 drive system (system, render/scratch, and content/project). To push the 2600 you will need RAID or SSDs to pump enough data to it and really utilize it (much less one of the LGA2011 chips).

The 560ti is not on the cleared list for Mercury Playback Engine (though I understand you can enable it through some simple hacks). You will want a 570, 480, or 580 to really make use of it, otherwise it will not be much faster than the on CPU rendering. If you have a proper GPU it is a dream come true, but without one of the ones they suggest it can cause any number of issues. http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

Color correction with CUDA is phenomenal!
m
l
January 28, 2012 12:00:32 AM

caedenv, you bring up a good point I didn't entirely think about. If i'm going to get 1 SSD that's 120 gigs, and I put my OS, programs, and then temporarily put the footage on it until I am done editing and then move it to an external mechanical HDD, will I see the full benefits? Or do I need yet even more drives?

This is a link to how to setup multiple drives for the best performance, but will 1 SSD be enough for me?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
January 28, 2012 12:46:20 AM

16gb of ram is a must with adobe programs!
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
January 28, 2012 3:29:09 AM

2 of the 1st kit.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2012 6:22:53 AM

notapcguru said:
All very helpful responses. Thank you everyone.

Maybe you can give me a little better idea Bwrlane. Let's say I had one layer of AVCHD footage, title and end credits, and maybe some color correcting / grading in there. Would the system be able to handle that fairly well? Or does the coloring part just put too much into the mix and slow it down?

I don't mind doing the work-around for enabling the 560ti, but if it's going to make it less stable, I might not do that.

As far as overclocking--I want to get the 2600k so I can be a little future proof and overclock it in the future to squeeze some extra value out of it if I need to.

I probably will head over to the adobe forums and post my question there as well.

Yes the 2600k would be fine with that. I do that sort of thing with 1080p avchd footage and my 920 copes fine.
m
l
January 29, 2012 8:56:40 AM

The point that caedenv brings up is still bothering me. When he says that he has only pushed his processor to ~70% that is with regular 7200 rpm drives right? Well if I'm getting an SSD, that will help push more data to it, but at the same time if I store everything (while working on it) on the SSD, won't that be somewhat risky in case of a drive failure?

I'm just not sure if I'm ready to do some sort of Raid setup due to my inexperience and also the prices of hard drives currently.

Maybe someone can make a recommendation on that?

Should I setup a raid of some kind? My projects aren't that big, and usually once they are put on a DVD I can just rip an ISO from the DVDs to make more copies if I need to.

I want to do things properly, but at the same time I might not be on the same level of the tech people on this site.
m
l
!