Solved

My Build Just Ordered: Feedback Please

YAAAAAYYY!!!! So I finally placed my order on newegg for my new build! My very first for max gaming hopefully. Well here are the parts. I plan to learn overclocking right away and apply it and SLI'ing later on. Almost exactly 1300 with tax and shipping. Oh will my motherboard come with enough SATA cables for my HDD and everything else? Thanks! I hope all goes well. I'm nervous to build!

i5-2500k with Corsair a70 heatsink fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.744254&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=1o880dag6ncru

Corsair Vengeance 8Gb Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

MSI twin frozr gtx 570 and corsair enthusiast series bronze 850w psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.749991&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=9i402lstvh5r

Just some LG dvd burner since I dont do bluray: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136238

NZXT Phantom red case with this front case fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146066
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233086

ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131771

Hitachi Deskstar bare harddrive. (cant afford ssd): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131771

Using my 26" 1080p vizio led tv to save money on monitor.

Also everything is shipping from California which is where I live except the HDD is from New Jersey for some weird reason. Oh well.
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build ordered feedback please
  1. probably better to ask for feedback b4 ordering .

    The hitachi hdd will sound like a Romanian tractor from 1956 and is a bit slower than you'd like but it will work
  2. Outlander_04 said:
    probably better to ask for feedback b4 ordering .

    The hitachi hdd will sound like a Romanian tractor from 1956 and is a bit slower than you'd like but it will work

    Oh haha yeah I did piece by piece. Eh yeah I know the HDD isn't all that great but I mean it won't affect gaming and overall performance that much right? And anything better costed more and I really couldn't spend anymore.
  3. That heatsink is huge, I just put one of them in my new system and it blocks two of my ram slots. You should be ok, because I believe your mobo is wider than mine.

    Your performance wont be hindered from that hdd, although there are of course better ones.

    Have fun assembling, it can get tedious (damn cable management).
  4. thesnappyfingers said:
    That heatsink is huge, I just put one of them in my new system and it blocks two of my ram slots. You should be ok, because I believe your mobo is wider than mine.

    Your performance wont be hindered from that hdd, although there are of course better ones.

    Have fun assembling, it can get tedious (damn cable management).

    Thank you! I'm glad everything will work out okay! Btw, I've watched the 3 part series of the newegg how to build computer but is there anything that goes even further to installing drivers and getting everything up to date and what not? Installing drivers kinda worries me. I'm not good with technical terms and if I go on the web and try to download the latest one I might not know what to do or pick. Also in some of the reviews for something such as a mobo people say don't update to the newest driver and this and that. AHH! confusing.
  5. every piece of hardware will come with a driver cd. After you install windows, then you install drivers for these devices.

    You can also go to 'device manager' and install drivers from there, you need internet connection to do this.

    Before you connect to the internet I would recommend installing an anti virus software.
  6. Outlander_04 said:
    probably better to ask for feedback b4 ordering .

    The hitachi hdd will sound like a Romanian tractor from 1956 and is a bit slower than you'd like but it will work


    I have a 1.5 TB Hitachi and it is silent and it is very fast. ATTO score is around 115 MB/S. Also have the Samsung F3 1 TB Spinpoint which is a little faster
  7. flong said:
    I have a 1.5 TB Hitachi and it is silent and it is very fast. ATTO score is around 115 MB/S. Also have the Samsung F3 1 TB Spinpoint which is a little faster

    Oh okay. Im good as long as its decent! Oh and with fan speeds are there any negatives to having it at max speed all the time besides noise? If its loud but keeps comp cool and safe twith no losses then im fine with that. Max safety!
  8. Your motherboard is not Ivy Bridge compatible and it will not support PCI-E 3.0. That being said it is a very good board.

    Yes your motherboard will come with 2 SATA II and 2 SATA III cables and you only have one HDD.

    Your Vizio may not have enough resolution for fine print.

    Overall your build is very solid - I hope that you will have a ton of fun with your new build.
  9. Best answer
    Install the drivers that come on the CD with the motherboard one at a time. Do not use the latest and greatest just yet.

    Download a fresh copy of the latest WHQL driver for your vid card and install it.

    Download CPUID Hardware Monitor, Prime95, and Furmark from this site:

    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/30530-latest-overclocking-programs-system-info-benchmarking-stability-tools.html

    Using Hardware Monitor to watch temps, run Prime95 Stress test for 15 to 30 minutes or so, then Furmark Torture Test for 10 minutes, then both for 5 minutes. CPU/GPU temps will rise but should find a stable level and hold there.

    Stop the test if cpu temps approach 80C or if gpu temps approach 90C.Resolve the heat problem and re-test.

    If Prime95 fails (Rounding Error) you likely have a memory issue.

    Then go play with your new toy. That night it might be a good idea to finalize stress testing your build by running Prime95 overnight.
  10. Twoboxer said:
    Install the drivers that come on the CD with the motherboard one at a time. Do not use the latest and greatest just yet.

    Download a fresh copy of the latest WHQL driver for your vid card and install it.

    Download CPUID Hardware Monitor, Prime95, and Furmark from this site:

    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/30530-latest-overclocking-programs-system-info-benchmarking-stability-tools.html

    Using Hardware Monitor to watch temps, run Prime95 Stress test for 15 to 30 minutes or so, then Furmark Torture Test for 10 minutes, then both for 5 minutes. CPU/GPU temps will rise but should find a stable level and hold there.

    Stop the test if cpu temps approach 80C or if gpu temps approach 90C.Resolve the heat problem and re-test.

    If Prime95 fails (Rounding Error) you likely have a memory issue.

    Then go play with your new toy. That night it might be a good idea to finalize stress testing your build by running Prime95 overnight.

    ok so cd drivers for eveything then that one gpu think. Alright so would I ever get the latest drivers? And when would be a good time to start ocing my gpu and cpu? Before or after driver installs? And before or after I install and play games and google chrome and what not? Thanksfor everyonea help!
  11. twoboxers advice is spot on. dont oc gpu or cpu until you know stock temps and the stability of your system.

    You will download the latest drivers or the drivers you prefer from the internet.
  12. CD for the mobo drivers. Do not install any other utilities like AI suite at this time. Just the chipset, audio, nic, etc.

    Don't attempt to OC in any way until your build is proven to operate at stock, including an overnight Prime95. Otherwise you can't tell a parts or assembly problem from an OC problem. Which is why you do not install any OCing utilities.

    You should do the short stability tests I outlined, then go set up the rest of your system - OS updates, Chrome, whatever. Games. Play. Have fun. I usually leave Hardware Monitor running because it will record the high temperature(s) reached. Before bed, check HWM for any temp issue, then start Prime95 and run overnight.

    On day two, check the Asus web site for later drivers and utilities, and install. (My personal advice is for you to avoid updating BIOS unless it becomes absolutely necessary.) Install the rest of the Asus utilities and explore them.

    If something goes wrong on Day#2, you'll have a good idea what caused it and how to correct it without coming back here for another visit and waiting 2 days for remote diagnosis :)
  13. zachcuden said:
    Oh haha yeah I did piece by piece. Eh yeah I know the HDD isn't all that great but I mean it won't affect gaming and overall performance that much right? And anything better costed more and I really couldn't spend anymore.


    The number one upgrade you can do is a ssd. They are cheaper than you think:

    http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php#vote=2&forumchoice%5B%5D=9&q=ssd&titleonly=1
  14. Oh okay I will get SSD in the future! But where do I put what? Like does word documents and what not etc. go in the HDD and games and OS into SSD?

    Also the building and updating drivers hopefully I understand. I'm sure I'll get it with a little more help. But the temp and prime95 stuff is that all user friendly?
  15. zachcuden said:
    But the temp and prime95 stuff is that all user friendly?
    I suppose that depends on the user.

    Suffice to say its rare that anyone has to ask how they work, and that's only with Prime95 which has several purposes, only one of which is stress testing.

    But if you can read . . . :)
  16. Best answer selected by Zachcuden.
  17. alrighty im sure I have enough basic knowledge to figure something out. If not then ill just open a new more specific thread
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product